Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
You can download a PDF map of the place from tha AGFC website. That would be a help. There is only one road in there so you will have to walk a lot. I know they have several places where they plant food plots and those might be good places to hunt but they get a lot of pressure. I went bowhunting there a couple of years ago and had a hard time finding a tree for my climber that didn't have fresh marks from the last guy that went up it. You might want to take a light ladder stand and pack it in where you want to hunt. There are a lot of smaller cottonwoods that won't take a climber but would support a ladder stand. Probably the best thing to do is to hike as far back from the road as you can and then find a thicked to get into. That place gets a lot of pressure. You won't believe the rubs and scapes you are gonna see though!!

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked the area over on google earth, and the island looks like a good area to hunt. I figure I can take my boat and get out where not many others go. On the other hand, what if everyone else thinks that way?! :lol: I also noticed on GE that all the land outside AR City is crops (soybeans?), so I probably need to find some good trails to/from the feeding areas. I'll have to look over the topo maps and find some good places to start scouting and go from there.

I don't mind walking a lot. I have a portable campsite that fits on my back, and a GPS so I can find my way home after dark. That way I can camp wherever I see fit, and hunt wherever I want :biggrin: If they allow it I might just camp on the island...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Choctaw ML hunt

Only tip I have for you is to make sure you stay legal. Make sure your permit is signed! There will be two wardens for every hunter during the hunt and they check for everything!! and I mean everything. I drew a permit for the gun hunt last year and saw alot of deer but we had to shoot a doe before we could kill a buck and guess what walked out before I killed a doe......a wall hanger I was just sick. but anyway I hope you have a good trip. and good luck.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BPS, this was actually my 6th year of applying for this tag, so don't feel too bad. I'm still waiting to get drawn for the gun hunt :wink:

Thermacell - check!
Refills a'plenty - check!
Sign permit - check!
Anything else? I'm starting to really get stoked!

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
a friend of mine got a ml tag and i was wondering if they allow bow hunting during the ml season? anyone know.
As far as I understand the law you're allowed to use archery gear during any ML season, as long as you have are permitted to hunt there at that time. Meaning as long as he has a permit to hunt with a ML he can hunt with a bow instead. Why anyone would want to is beyond me... :head:

·
Member<br>2011 Turkey Contest Winner
1,052 Posts
As far as I understand the law you're allowed to use archery gear during any ML season, as long as you have are permitted to hunt there at that time. Meaning as long as he has a permit to hunt with a ML he can hunt with a bow instead. Why anyone would want to is beyond me... :head:
I was thinking of myself hunting with a bow so he would have someone to go with him.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't think that would fly. I think you have to have a permit to hunt there period during permit hunts. You might call the Monticello office and check to be sure. Might be worth finding out. On the other hand, have him join the forum so I can get to know him. I'd be happy to share camp and long as he doesn't eat much :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
North end of the island DEER---South end of the island HOGS, I've hunted there quite a bit and the island is great, lot of big bucks. A place that gets overlooked, and this is going to sound crazy, but it's the small strip of land between the road and the river, when the pressure gets on the deer will funnel to this area because there is noone over there, trust me i have seen it with my own eyes. It was unreal how many deer we ran out of there and I mean some giants. The only reason I'm giving this up is because we decided not to hunt there anymore because it is getting to popular and I like to be alone in the woods. GOOD LUCK!!!:thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.