Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Select Member<br>2009 Photo Contest Winner<br>2015
3,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with my son!!!!!!!!!!!!
He drew a bull permit for zone 1 in Dec,!!!!!!!!!!
I couldn't be happier even if I would have drawn one.
Looks like we got some serious scouting to do before Dec.
CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Would like to have entered this year, but I knew I would not have the chance to hunt it if I did draw one..... so I decided to sit this one out.

Congrats to you , brother..... and best of luck to you and your son. gets us some pics of the big event....

God Bless

MET

·
Select Member<br>2009 Photo Contest Winner<br>2015
3,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rest assured there willbe plenty of pics if successful. Been taking him hunting since he was 2 years old. Use to roll him up in a sleeping bag to keep him warm when he was with me.we both now work on the towboats and got plenty of time to get our schedules straight where we will be home for this event.

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
Congrats! You guys will have a blast. I drew a bull tag in zone 2 in 2006. I did not see an elk all week but we still had a blast. Zone 2 is tough in December, but you should not have trouble getting on the elk in zone 1.

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
Well I can't tell you specifics about your zone but maybe this will help. First of all get maps of your zone. The game and fish will send you detailed info as to where your zone is - take this info to the state geological department and get big topo maps. Call up to the elk center in jasper and ask to speak with a warden up there (if Kenny is still up there he will help). Load up and go up there one day - if you already have info from a warden go ahead and scout - if not go into Jasper or other small towns and start talking to the locals. I talked with a few farmers who were on the lookout for elk for me.

Another idea is to look up past permit winners in your zone. Look em up and call them. I suspect most would be glad to tell you where they hunted (it's not like they're going back next year).

The wardens / national forest folks will circle fields / good areas to scout if you take the maps with you and talk with them. They generally want everyone to have a good hunt.

If you want to spend the money there is a guide up there, not sure how much he charges. But in zone 1 / 4 I think you can do it yourself with some scouting / advance preparation.

I'd be glad to answer any questions you might have.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.