Arkansas Hunting banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Need the story for this! Ground blind, tree stand, stalking??? How did you do it? Ive been listening to some podcast about a guy who stalks in a gillie suit. Sounds fun and challenging for sure.
Not a great story teller so hear it goes.

I been bowhunting since my yearly 20s and 2 years ago bought a recurve and sold compound and crossbow. Bound and determined to do this.

I am 10 minutes from Wattensaw. Just not seeing deer around the house. Wind direction wasn't right place I been hunting so I use to hunt close to a cedar/pines mixed with hhardwoods. Hunting from ground Sunday evening saw 3 and yesterday morning saw more squirrels ever. Yesterday I decided to grap my XOP climber and move 100 yards north. Up at 2pm. Around 4pm I heard deer coming out of the cedar. Had a small window to shoot about 5 yards away. Soon she stepped out from the tree, I stuck her and ran 60 yards. First 30 no blood, all I had was sign of struggling with leaves. Finally blood, she bled a lot. Got top of left lung and intobvbthe heart where part of arrow exited. Too much signs in there so I'll be going back.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I cant either since my rotator cuff injury, but I been in Phys. Therapy now foe a few weeks and am sure getting froggy. Ive been told to wait, so I am back out with the x-bow since gun season ended.
yeah, don'r push it john. i did and was sorry for it. just give it time and youj'll be back. takes us "OLD PROS" longer to mend than it did 40 yrs ago.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
I cant either since my rotator cuff injury, but I been in Phys. Therapy now foe a few weeks and am sure getting froggy. I've been told to wait, so I am back out with the x-bow since gun season ended.
I love my trad bows myself. I have not hunted with one going on 3 years now. I had neck surgery and that was supposed to help but still not there physically even for my #47 bow. My wife bought me a xbow but I really don't like hunting with it. It weighs a ton in comparison and is awkward to carry especially if you are also packing a tree stand. I've killed several deer with it and will continue to hunt with it but I sure do miss my longbow.

Thrilled for Snareman. His success makes me chomp at the bit even more.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,484 Posts
I remember back in my compound days I would pull over #70. Wish I had gotten smarter sooner. #40 was definitely plenty. What type of broad head?
I told this very thing on here back in the day; grunting back #70 will do terrible things to your back and shoulders and does nothing to make ya look like a heman! Game warden caught me loading a doe I shot with a long bow back in 74 then when he pulled out his scales it registered #38, and he was fixin to write me up till he discovered I had caught schrapnel in my right arm and let me go! I went home and put a few twists in my string to make it read #40, and every squirrel I shot got snatched clean outta the tree!

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,484 Posts
P/S My first compound I traded my .38 special revolver for at Gibson’s; it was adjustable from #45 to 50, to 60, to 65! It was a “whitetail hunter”, still have it!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.