I can reccommend a Taxidermist

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by stealthycat, Dec 4, 2012.

1. stealthycat

stealthycat Elite Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

Derrick Weatherford -870-404-7656 lives south Of Mountain Home in north central AR

Best mount I've got - I mean its very, very good and he uses the best materials, professional tanning and extreme details

Here's my buck, picked it up last night ....

[​IMG]

full size, BIG photo here to check out the detail

http://i50.tinypic.com/30uvfw4.jpg

2. 10pointman

10pointman Moderator Staff Member

Is that the buck you gutshot and it took a week to find it?:razz:

3. stealthycat

not gut shot and no, I shot him almost at dark and found him at what, 1 pm the next day or so 2010

4. 10pointman

10pointman Moderator Staff Member

LOL I was kidding Brad.I remember you killing him in ks...I think.Great lookin buck!!:clap:

5. BIG JIM

BIG JIM Select Member<br>Ol Eagle Eye

Looks great.:up:

6. stealthycat

UCNE's son killed a dandy 10 around Norfork and Derrick is doing this too

7. UCNE

UCNE Well-Known Member

I sure hope he does that well on mine.............:clap::up:

8. stealthycat

9. Delbert

Delbert Well-Known Member

What did that cost you?

10. stealthycat

he's not cheap - cheap taxidermists = cheap work, quality taxidermy is a bit more

I have 3 deer with him - I think $550 is his price

11. luckless

luckless Member Forum Sponsor 2011 Turkey Contest Winner

U Better move that thing inside. Rain ain't good on them mounts. What kind of redneck hangs his mounts outside??? My goodness!

12. UCNE

UCNE Well-Known Member

He is very high but he does send the hides to a tannery instead of the barrel soak that some do.. If you plan on keeping it for a long time the barrel soaked ones will dry out and crack if not done right. He also said if there ever was a problem he will fix it free for life.......he has allot of mounts that other folks mounted redoing them now........:up:

13. stealthycat

I have 3 deer mounts hanging ... one from 2000 that looks in excellent condition from a taxidermist who did things right .... 2 from cheaper guys that were done in 2004 and 2006 respectively.

Both those "newer" mounts are cracked around the mouths/eyes, they've "shrunk" on the form .... just don't look good.

That 2000 mount? Still looks VERY good.

Look at it this way ... in 10 years a $350 mount will cost you $35 a year. After 3-5 years it will start to look poor.

$50 a month or so and after 10 years your mount still looks excellent.

I think it matters

14. brushcreek

brushcreek Well-Known Member

It does matter but you can find a high quality taxidermist for way less than $550....some of which are sponsors on this site.

15. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

X2 Agree

16. Deerslayer 1384

Deerslayer 1384 Well-Known Member

Best of bucks in conway. Jeff does a great job and guarantees his work for life. Can't beat that. I have three mounts from three different people and his far exceeds the others and he is cheap to boot.

17. stealthycat

everyone has "their favorite" taxidermist .... I was just posting this gorgeous mount and who did it

I know it should cost a taxidermist around $250 for top quality tanning, forms and materials. What's the time on one ... 15 hours maybe? 20? if he's only charging $350 then he's cutting something somewhere, nobody taxidermist can keep their business open for $5-7 an hour you know ?

Just saying ... Derrick does exceptional work, I know it first hand, that's why I made the post.