hvac guys

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by SLAYER, Dec 21, 2012.

1. SLAYER

SLAYER Well-Known Member

Thinking about going back to school to get a technical certificate in hvac. I have a associates in auto cad. But I'm 34 and would like something to fall back on. Is the certificate enough to get a hvac job.

2. truck24hr

truck24hr Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

Alma
    I've been thinking the same thing. Curious to hear any resonses.

3. newdad

newdad Well-Known Member

it might get you a job, but it may not be the job you want. the company I work for will not hire someone as a tech unless they have experience, they would rather start someone on sheet metal crew and if they stay long enough work them up and train them to be a tech. I started for them in sheet metal in 2000, and have been doing service work for them for about 5 years now.

4. chevyduckhunt

chevyduckhunt Well-Known Member

It may get you a interview. But goin to school means nothing in a skill trade if you have never done it in the field. You may know that book like the back of your hand but that don't mean you can troubleshoot and fix it. The best training for hvac is OJT.

5. getsomechickens

getsomechickens Well-Known Member

x2

6. SLAYER

SLAYER Well-Known Member

I have a buddy that said I could tag along with him he owns his own hvac business. And help him when I'm not working I wouldn't mind starting at the bottom and work my way up have to get the ole foot in the door first. Can't get otj experience if you can't start somewhere.

7. Timd1978

Timd1978 Well-Known Member

Don't believe it when people say that school is not a good idea. It will NOT TRAIN you to be a field tech but it will give you the basics. Which would an employer rather have (1) a guy that knows nothing and has to be trained at everything to start producing money for them (2) a guy that has some basics and can be trained easier and in less time, therefore making them money faster.

The only exception I see to this is when the company has a school. The company I work for has a school now. They pay guys to sit in class and learn a few days a week and then they are paid half days to ride along and learn in the field. This is the best way to do it if you can find a company like that. These guys get trained for MONTHS before they leave the classroom totally and are learning in the field. You cannot learn the basics of enthalpy (and its relationship to performance and diagnostics), the refrigerant cycle (the RIGHT WAY), venturi effect and its relationship to primary and secondary combustion air, electrical theories, etc, etc effectively in the field (these are the basics). The list goes on and on. I won't even get into all the issues with improper sizing of returns, ductwork, and other issues where the static pressures are so far off the map, due to incompetence, it's unreal!!!!

You will be surprise how often I see people load up a system with refrigerant thinking it's under charged, when in fact there is an indoor airflow issue (me included when I first started because I hadn't finished training yet). Many techs cannot decipher the difference as the symptoms are similar (enthalpy and formulas anyone???). There are issues with oil logged coils and txv's that even the most seasoned tech can mis-diagnose. The basics have got to be there for a foundation to be built upon, if you want to be a good tech. Anyone can go learn how to be a parts changer, it takes a lot of work and a lot of time to truly diagnose problems. Everyone will make mistakes but learn from them.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  8. SLAYER

SLAYER Well-Known Member

Thanks guys I'm just tossing the idea around. I dont expect to start at the top and learn everything at school. I like my job I have now just want to learn something new and work with my buddy on side to learn a little in case this job goes away for some reason. Unemployment is there but I'd rather not have to use it.

9. dwight

dwight Well-Known Member

I have a certificate it took me a whole 2 days to find a job. They will start you out on install aka ***** work that's extremely hot. 120 degrees in a attic on a average day in June. It sucks

10. SLAYER

SLAYER Well-Known Member

Thanks guys may be a year or so before I can start but think I'm going to give school one more try. Dwight the heat is one thing ill have to get use to being I've worked indoors all my
    Life but I ain't scared

11. jjarvis0007

jjarvis0007 Well-Known Member

x3

Find something else to do! It's not cool or fun for that matter.

12. hillbillychaffeehunter

hillbillychaffeehunter Super Member<br>2009 Photo Contest Winner<br>2012-

I have a 2 year degree in applied sciences and a certificate in hvac. I had a job before i even finished school! The top 3 in my class all got jobs with the same company. School was good to me!

13. SLAYER

SLAYER Well-Known Member

Thanks hill billy only problem I'm seeing is most the classes around me are in daytime and I work Monday through Saturday