Hunting with a sentimental firearm?

Discussion in 'General Hunting Topics' started by lightsoutcalls, Oct 6, 2017.

1. lightsoutcalls

lightsoutcalls Well-Known Member

Anyone hunting with a sentimental firearm this season? I'm hoping to take my father-in-law's .300 Savage out next week to sight in. If I remember right, it was built in the 1940's. I'm sure it hasn't been fired since my brother in law died in a car wreck over 20 years ago. My father-in-law lost all desire to hunt after that happened. Father-in-law passed away about 8 years ago. I have unofficially inherited all of his firearms. Mother-in-law didn't want them in her house for fear someone might break in to steal them.

I would love to be able to take a deer or hog this season with the .300 Savage.

boomer, curdog1 and brushcreek like this.
  2. hillbillycycles

hillbillycycles Well-Known Member

I have not made up my mind just yet, but I am considering taking out my late father's 1974 vintage Winchester 94. She has not been in the woods in decades and might appreciate the open air again.

brushcreek and lightsoutcalls like this.

3. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Well-Known Member

Central
    Got my grand mothers old pump savage 30-30 out the other day gonna see if my daughter can put a nanny down with it during the doe and youth hunt this year. She died in 2004 and the gun probably hasn't been used in mid 90s so we will see.

4. I have my late Father-in-law's Savage model 170 30-30. He passed away in 1978, and the next season, I shot a nice 8 point buck with it. That was the last time the gun was shot. I keep it clean and in my safe. I gave his Model 12 Winchester to his Great Grandson (my Grandson)a couple of years ago, and will pass the Savage to him too.

5. Punkinseed

Punkinseed Well-Known Member

Will be takin my dads ol 742 '06 a lot this year.

brushcreek likes this.
  6. HurricaneRabbit

HurricaneRabbit Well-Known Member

Shoot my first buck every year with my grandads Jammaster in .06, and have been since 1998.

7. Punkinseed

Punkinseed Well-Known Member

I always here about them jamming up but i have two that have never given me any problems

8. HurricaneRabbit

HurricaneRabbit Well-Known Member

It’s 3/5 with Grandads. Good for you.

9. J W Dean

J W Dean Member

You have the only 2 made that don't. They should be in the Remington Museum.

10. d2

d2 Well-Known Member

All you have to do on the 742's is keep a little oil in the chamber. They start hanging up because of pits in the chamber caused by rust. The shell expands when fired and the brass will form in the chamber and down in the pits also and that is what causes most of the problems...d2

11. thelineman

thelineman Well-Known Member

I have one that was made in 1997, and has never gave me any problems. So make that three.

12. grahmcracker

grahmcracker Well-Known Member

My dad has a 1931 Mossberg model "C" bolt action single shot 22 that was his father in laws. I hunted with as a boy some but he carried it all the time up till about 3 years ago when the firing pin broke. The other day he brought it to me and said if I can get it fixed it's mine. It's getting a new firing pin machined now and should be ready to hunt with in a couple weeks. No telling how many squirrels it's killed and I hope to hunt with it for many more years.

13. gdpolk

gdpolk Well-Known Member

NW AR
    I do all the time. Field guns are meant to be use in the field. The satisfaction of taking game for the table with a family heirloom is pretty cool.

Sure the guns continue to get a little honest wear on them from continuing to hunt them. But, generational wear on a gun just shows that it's been used. I take very good care of them when back at the house keeping them cleaned, oiled, and in good repair. As they collect little signs of use from the field, they simply have reminders of time in the field across multiple generations.

One of my favorite field guns is a single shot Stevens 16g. The buttstock has been cracked and repaired. Both stocks are covered in minor nicks, bumps, scrapes. The metal has ZERO rust but also has ZERO original bluing left anywhere except underneath the stock. The bluing has long since been replaced with a lovely brown patina. Stevens Arms is no longer in business and hasn't been in decades. This gun was my great grandfathers. My grandfather inherited it shortly after his dad bought it new when he passed. Somehow my dad got a hold of it when I was a kid because I had developed an interest in hunting and shooting. It was the very first real gun that I've shot. Now I own it and I use it for small game quite frequently. I have higher quality guns, guns with choke tubes, guns that are cheaper to feed, etc but there's something really cool about taking a gun out for the 4th generation and continuing to use it for what it was made to do.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  14. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator

NE Ark
    I have my grandfathers Browning Sweet 16 that my mom and her brother bought for him for Christmas in 1959. He got cancer around 1975 and had to quit hunting. He died in 1982 and I've had the gun since then. Every year I think about taking it out and shooting it but never have done it. I know it hasn't been shot since the early 70's. The only things he hunted were squirrels, rabbit and deer. I also have several boxes of paper hull #6 shot and slugs from the late 60's or early 70's. One of these days I'll take it out and shoot it.

brushcreek likes this.
  15. claytonsdad

claytonsdad Well-Known Member

I have a Remington 1100 12ga. That my dad bought new in 1967. No telling how many meals it has provided. My dad knew I admired it, so he gave it to me on my 17th birthday. I hunted with it some then and put it away. Lost Dad in 2008. I've bought and sold many things in my life, but that is one thing I'll never part with. It sits in the safe today, clean oiled and ready to go kill a limit, and it always will.

16. lightsoutcalls

lightsoutcalls Well-Known Member

I took the 300 Savage out this afternoon to sight in. I put my target out in an empty crop field in front of a big pecan tree thicket. I paced it off at 80 paces. After 6 rounds and adjusting as I went, I was on the edge of a quarter sized circle. I'm calling that good. That will be about as long a shot as I get on the properties I hunt.
    20171011_175343.jpg
    20171011_180702.jpg

The rifle is wearing the Weaver K4 scope that my Father In Law used. I am excited about using this rifle this year!

17. JR1

JR1 Well-Known Member

I've made my dad promise that he won't sell his deer rifle (a custom mauser action 25.06) or his 870 turkey gun.

One day, when he's gone, I'll take them each for one more hunt and kill.

18. JohnnieWalker

JohnnieWalker Well-Known Member

That's a neat old gun. Still looks to be in good shape too. I hope you get one with it and remember your father-in-law fondly. Good luck!

Punkinseed and lightsoutcalls like this.
  19. Vern Humphrey

Vern Humphrey Well-Known Member

It's hard to beat the 99 Savage -- my Dad killed a ton of big game in Ethiopia in the late '40s with a 99 Savage in .250-3000. In the '30s, he killed a tiger in Sumatra with the same rifle.

Mine is in .308 Win, and I'll tell you the local deer are impressed with it!

lightsoutcalls likes this.
  20. hillbillycycles

hillbillycycles Well-Known Member

Good stuff here guys. I think I have my mind made up. If the weather is decent, I will be on a leaner stand I just moved where I can get a 200-250 yard shot. If that is the case, I will be toting the .30-06 or the 7mm-08.

If it's rainy I will probably hit the box stand where the longest shot might be about 110 yards. In that case, the old Winchester is going to come out of hiding.

1974 Win 94.JPG

lightsoutcalls likes this.