Arkansas Hunting banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Wow. Thank you for sharing so much detail about how you got into it.
Tell us a bit about the training process of a wild caught bird. Just amazing.
First and foremost i guess you have to realized that the birds live revolves around the acquisition of food. They are smarter then we give them credit for. Wild caught birds always remain wild and birds that are reared as imprints are more difficult to hunt with but ultimately can lead to better hunting partner but an imprint can never be released into the wild. When you capture the bird they are on the defensive they flare up their wings and you have to restrain them and attach their equipment while they are hooded and wrapped in restraining blanket. Your first step is to man him basically a falconry term for tame. after lets say 2-3 days of having that bird on you gloves for hours on end he calms down and starts to realize you might not eat him. Afterwards you attempt to feed him off the glove they are very secretive when hunting and consuming a meal, in the wild getting careless can get them killed by another bird of prey so for them to bend and take food is a big step they are hungry and their weight drops remember everything they do revolves around food. when they take food you can start the training process. You must be diligent and log their weight and note reactions once he eats of the glove and is manned you start him at a foot or 2 and make him jump to the fist monitoring his reaction and weight. The goal is to have him coming 50 yards on a line instantly when he is doing that without hesitation and you have a good idea of what is his best reaction weight. then you are ready to free fly him. then afterwards you take him were you can present game to them. They quickly realize that you flush game towards them and you are not starving them remember if you this they lose condition and will not have the energy to hunt. the goal of the weight management is to have field control without it you have an unresponsive bird.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You get hard up enough for rabbits let me know. I’ll put you on some but it’ll be a pretty good drive for you.
man i do not mind long drives lol. We have are meet in St Charles Arkansas and we are always knocking on doors looking for spots.

·
Registered
690 Posts
are you pretty close by there? we always stay at popos duck lodge
No but I could set you up coming or going. Carlisle area is what I have in mind at the moment. A pond levee that we usually kill 10-12 out of.... alot of times they’ll hit an adjacent sage grass field.... which I think would be a good thing right?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
AR... this is fantastic. I've researched it and want to get in to it, but the biggest thing that you mentioned keeps me from it..commitment!
You did a great job of explaining the process topically, and would be interested in the details of the capture, the education, etc.

I know its a lot...and if you don't have time or want to, I understand. But man, this is the coolest stuff ever. Been hooked ever since I read the book My Side of the Mountain.
Thanks for sharing sir!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
when I was young(er) I had a neighbor. Well several but one of them had raised a redtail from VERY young (I didn't know him when it was "that" young). Anyway I don't remember her weight but she was BIG. Randy (my neighbor) would let me come over sometimes and let Sara perch on my arm, of course with the glove. She never would eat but it was an awesome feeling just to have her standing there. Randy carried her around everywhere, in the house outside everywhere. Had a hood a lot of the time, I remember that. I went with them once to a field across town to watch them hunt. My goodness. Amazing. Their eyesight must be something but as I understand it, most birds have excellent eyesight. Sarah died younger than she should have but I'm not up on falconry, so I have no clue why. I never asked Randy. One of the things I remember well from the ordeal was that Randy had 2 boys that also lived in the house and Sarah did not trust either one of the boys, only Randy. No idea why. I just know that when I went over there she'd "greet" me like she did everyone else, a sound or set of sounds I will never forget.

Few weeks ago I was sitting at the lake fishing and there was an osprey flying really close to the boat. Dunno why, I just mostly ignored it but didn't "forget" that it was there. Soon, I looked up and it was gone. Then a few min later I look to my left and I seen it way up in the sky. It folded it's wings and splashed down, then carried a fish as it flew off. It hit the water at a pretty good rate of speed and I got to thinking if I had hit the water that hard, it would have certainly hurt. How do they do it? It's astonishing enough that they can see a fish from that kind of distance much less catch it. I've had an Eagle grab a fish not 30' from the boat on a winter day in the same area, and I wasn't catching anything but a cold. Made me mad but at the same time an interesting experience. Then I seen another Eagle (same day) standing on top of what looked like a road kill cat on the side of the highway. I asked on here & found out that they are opportunistic, eat about anything if it is easy to get.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
finally got first one of the season in the bag i have been busy with things and kinda let his conditioning fall so he needs to build that back up the plan is to hunt this whole week a get a couple more in the bag. this was a really fun hunt chased half a dozen if not more with him missing and connecting only with brush. he finally hit this one as it tried to creep past us in some briars and honeysuckle. this place im hunting is a lets say a junkyard but it is a holdout for the some of the last rabbits in this county. i dont hunt it very often because its difficult with all the cover but i wanted to put him i a situation were we atleast chased a few and was not dissapointed. Getting a rabbit to me is like killing a deer lol

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
named him reymundo, we hunted around dixie lee boat ramp today in shirey bay it was windy and squirrels actually moved once it was dark i guess they dislike the wind that much they rather deal with the owls, covered a lot of ground hoping for a swamp rabbit/cotton tail or squirrel no luck fot pestered by some hawks and got to see my bird beat ones of his perch lol getting pestered by the local hawks can be a problem glad these decided to just leave. lot of wet ground but still had dry ground with briar and honey suckle still no rabbits i had high hopes for the area. as i have been given permission to hunt some farmland thats next to it but no luck. did find a late season chicken of the woods but decided to let it be.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts