Hunting the South Tx brush country 2017-2019

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by SA Doc, Jun 25, 2017.

1. curdog1

curdog1 Well-Known Member

harrison
    Sounds like he’s doing well. How old is he?

2. SA Doc

SA Doc Well-Known Member

texas
    He’s getting old. I think he’s 6 now. Hopefully we can have several more years of good hunting.

3. SA Doc

SA Doc Well-Known Member

texas
    Conditions are perfect here this morning and the deer are really moving. This is the best morning I’ve had all season. I’m hoping the 8 will come into handgun range. I’d love to get a nice buck with my 44 mag.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. SA Doc

SA Doc Well-Known Member

texas
    9 pointer making a scrape
    [​IMG]

5. SA Doc

SA Doc Well-Known Member

texas
    It’s been a good weekend. I’ve seen a lot more deer than I expected for it to be as warm as it was here. I shot a javelina with my revolver and caught a few bass.
    I got the new fridge put in my camper, replaced the fuel filler hose, and fixed my water leak.
    3 of the guys were riding in a high rack/topdrive truck at the back of the ranch yesterday afternoon and had a mountain lion run across the roller chopped area in front of them. They watched it running for about 80 yards, but couldn’t get a shot. This is the 1st one we’ve seen in 6-7 yrs. Texas is a little different- they are legal to shoot and the cattle ranchers encourage us to take them. The last one we saw was shot on the ranch behind us. Interestingly, no one ever here seems to see black ones like everyone I knew growing up in Lee County claimed to see.

6. SA Doc

SA Doc Well-Known Member

texas
    I took some PTO this afternoon and tomorrow. It’s 34 degrees here and alternating between sleet and light rain. I’ve seen a couple of does and one fairly nice buck since I got in the blind. The rain is supposed to stop tonight and tomorrow should be good. Our rut is just getting started, and we’re still 1-2 weeks from what’s normally our best time.

7. SA Doc

SA Doc Well-Known Member

texas
  8. SA Doc

SA Doc Well-Known Member

texas
    We don’t see this very often. This is only the 2nd snow since I started hunting here in 2001.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. SA Doc

SA Doc Well-Known Member

texas
    I’m off from 5 pm this evening until the day after Christmas. My stuff is packed, the truck is fueled up, and the coolers are loaded with food for the week. Our rut should peak in the next 7-10 days and I just got word that the bucks are running everywhere.
    The bad news is it’s raining there, there’s 100% chance of rain tomorrow, and my camper batteries are dead. Guess I’ll be changing batteries in the dark and rain when I get down tonight. Still beats working