Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering what you think about hunting corn or bait for deer is it ethical
or not just wonder how you feel on subject.
map

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
You'll get a lot of different opinions on this one. Here's mine. Is it ethical? Yes. It may not be as sporting as other methods, but it is ethical. I suppose the answer may also depend on one's definition of "ethical."

·
Registered
826 Posts
i have no problem with it, i mean if your gonna shoot an animal, why would it matter if your hunting over a white oak flat or corn

·
Registered
17,187 Posts
No Problem Here. The act of shooting a deer whether its over acorns, feeder, or foodplot, is still killing a deer. We have limits to how many we can shoot and thats the key thing. So what does it matter what that deer is doing at the time its killed. Is it less sporty? Who's to say, we each have the right to deem whats ethical as long as its legal. Is a compound bow verse a traditional bow, verses a crossbow, verses a pistol, verse a muzzleloader, verses a rifle all different with different challenges and allow different hunters to enjoy their perfered method to enjoy what they deem enjoyable? I say so.

If we as hunters wish to debate whats ethically right or wrong with any hunting method thats legal, we essentially open up pandora's box upon all methods.

·
Banned
1,858 Posts
I personally do not hunt over corn, in fact I rarely ever feed corn. But I do not think it is wrong nor am I against it. Most people here feed corn, some feed tons of it every fall.

·
Administrator
40,899 Posts
I have no problem with it if its the way that you want to hunt.

I dont like the fact that game and fish outlaws baiting in February because I think more deer (and other animals as well) benefit from the extra food than are killed over it.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
It is sad what has become the culture of deer hunting. Poor out corn on the ground, back up 100 yards, and watch creatures of habit come eat it.

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
It is sad what has become the culture of deer hunting. Poor out corn on the ground, back up 100 yards, and watch creatures of habit come eat it.
Yep, that's exactly what I do 99.9% of the time watch creatures of habit eat whether it be 20 yards to 300 yards and anything in between. I've set and enough legal deer to fill a many a freezer.:thumb:

·
Grand Member
9,781 Posts
I keep 4 feeders out year round, I figured up ( wish I hadn't) that I feed about 50+ pounds of 16% cattle feed per day, that's 18,000+ pounds a year, we also plant about 20 acres of food plots each summer and fall and we fertilize several other acres of honeysuckle and other browse. I see no difference in hunting the feeders or the plots or the fertilized honeysuckle thickets or a white oak loaded with acorns. It's hunting a food source. They are not magically drawn to or addicted to the feed anymore than they are to acorns or a wheat patch and hopefully the above things are helping the overall herd, plus it's a great place to hang my cameras.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I see nothing wrong with it. There's not any difference than setting over a food plot or a natural food source like acorns. How many people set up over know trails where the deer travel?? Whatever makes you happy and you get the most enjoyment out of while your hunting then thats what you should do. No two people are alike and everyone has an opnion!!!:thumb:

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
53,799 Posts
I like to be able, legally to feed corn....it helps me know what animals I have on my place and how healthy they are. I don't hunt over corn, I really have more and better options than a pile of corn. I also notice here....that you'd hafta be out pretty late at night and have a flashlight mounted to kill a deer over corn. Now, if you like redbirds....you can kill all of those and maybe a squirrel or two in the daylight, eating the corn. I also like to know that quite a lot of animals are surviving through the winter thanks to that corn. I'd like to see AGFC outlaw feeding birdseed, and wheat, soybeans, milo, and rice......because all such feeding changes the normal habits of animals. But they won't, because they'll be outta business. So what if a youngster shoots a doe or scrub buck off a pile of corn? You'd take that away? ~j

·
Registered
461 Posts
Corn is the difference between being a deer hunter or a deer shooter. Hunting natural food sources still requires some scouting to find the acorn trees and the honeysuckle thickets that the deer are using. I use corn on my farm because it saves time, and it is effective. I bowhunt on public land to keep my hunting skills in tune and enjoy the challenge. It is great to have a choice.

·
Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,049 Posts
On our lease I bet this year we have fed over 5K lbs of corn, 3K lbs of soybeans, sweet taters, cottonseed, protien pellets, alfalfa pellets and I can gaurantee that less than 10% of our harvest came from anytype of a feeder, if you are talking Bucks only I bet it is even less! You are better off finding a travel cooridor or a trail in and out of their bedding areas than any type of feed. but thats my opinion!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW what a reply, i thing that feeding and managing deer is great thing.
the fact of being able to benifit wilelife by feed is good, i think the most of you took me wrong when i ask this question. i am not dogging any body over the way they hunt. i think it's good to have a place to feed and it's even better when you can share with a child or spouse. my problem is that most people that i know that hunt bait think and talk like they are champion hunters and you are dirt if you dont kill any thing. now i feed deer but i dont hunt the bait. i bow hunt alot and i like a challenge of scouting and hunting
a perticular deer, and double enjoy on public land. when you kill a deer like that it gives you bragging rights. i hunt by all methods but like bowhunting the best. i always put my compound bow down and get the ole long bow out,
but when i see horns i seem to forget about the long bow.
map

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just wish I could get a deer to eat the corn I have put out over the last three years. If it were not for squirrels, coons, birds, and an occassional hog, the corn would rot on the ground where I hunt.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree with firehog don't open pandoras box! To each his/her own, just enjoy what the we've been given and share it legally, ethically, and respectfully! I feed and set trail cams to see what's around. Haven't shot one off a feeder yet, however that doesn't mean I wouldn't.

·
Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,049 Posts
my problem is that most people that i know that hunt bait think and talk like they are champion hunters and you are dirt if you dont kill any thing. now i feed deer but i dont hunt the bait. i bow hunt alot and i like a
Anyone who thinks like that will eventually grow up and become a hunter! I have had a few folks rib me some for not killing a buck this year- 1st time in 21 years at my lease I havent killed one but on the other hand it was the 1st time in 21 years I harvested a doe- and I let quite a few shooters walk- all about choices- will any of those young bucks I let walk come back by me next year? Who knows but 1 can only hope:thumb:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts