Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I need alil help, especially from you folks that are in leases, this year we had several members that wanted to drop there membership and come back and hunt as a guest only, the problem with this was if we allowed it then we had the "Potential" to lose 6 more members that could follow suit! In a effort to control this we passed a rule that stated if you were a paying member and you decided to drop out and hunt as a guest you had to wait 2 years,we did this to try and control the folks doing this. Now since this rule passed we have a member or 2 that wants to pay and get back into the club, my only option that I see is fair is to allow the members to vote on if this is allowed or not?? What ya'lls thoughts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
If they were good members, i would vote to let them back in. As expensive as its getting and as hard as it is to find good members, beggers can't be choosers in this case. I like the idea of having to wait in order to come back as a guest, but if they want to be full members and pay all the fees, then let them

We lost a couple of members this year due to high gas prices, etc and we had to cough up a some more money and not take in anyone. Next year we will have to take on a few more if we can find some quality folks

·
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats part of the problem, we have already replaced the ones that got out with new members???At present we have 4 folks on a waiting list for next year as well?

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Thats part of the problem, we have already replaced the ones that got out with new members???At present we have 4 folks on a waiting list for next year as well?
what about having them back as a "yearly guest". They pay the full amount for dues but don't have voting rights or a say in camp business? I think we have that option (don't know of anyone who has done it), but they can hunt everything but hogs and turkey and must be "sponsored" by a member

·
Registered
12,769 Posts
My perspective on this that when they are gone they are gone.

Getting out with the intention to return to hunt as a guest is wrong.
It doesn't pay the bills and it leaves the remaining members with the task to replace the ones that got out.
Now is it fair for someone to get out and come back and pay a guest and hunt ,take deer without any responsibility to the club?

It is a way to cheat the club and the members.

No when they leave their gone.....you have to be fair to the one's that pay the bills!!

·
Super Moderator
7,070 Posts
My perspective on this that when they are gone they are gone.

Getting out with the intention to return to hunt as a guest is wrong.
It doesn't pay the bills and it leaves the remaining members with the task to replace the ones that got out.
Now is it fair for someone to get out and come back and pay a guest and hunt ,take deer without any responsibility to the club?

It is a way to cheat the club and the members.

No when they leave their gone.....you have to be fair to the one's that pay the bills!!
That is the way I see also.

·
Administrator
87,182 Posts
I think you answered your own question. They have been replaced and there is a waiting list, so their names can go on the bottom. Looks like they thought they'd take the easy and cheap way out and it has come back to bite them in the butt.

Do stupid stuff, live with the consequences.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Hate to say it but its thier loss. They were expecting to get to hunt for free on the club land, ain't nothing free thats worth having. Put them on the list and tell them that you will notify them when a spot comes open. If they are respectable type they will understand.

Do yall have a limit on guest hunting on your club and if not how do you regulate the deer numbers?

·
Premium Member
15,106 Posts
I think you answered your own question. They have been replaced and there is a waiting list, so their names can go on the bottom. Looks like they thought they'd take the easy and cheap way out and it has come back to bite them in the butt.

Exactly!! These guys were looking for a loop hole.. Do ya'll not limit the number of guest and the number of days a year guest are allowed to hunt?? Just wondering..

·
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hate to say it but its thier loss. They were expecting to get to hunt for free on the club land, ain't nothing free thats worth having. Put them on the list and tell them that you will notify them when a spot comes open. If they are respectable type they will understand.

Do yall have a limit on guest hunting on your club and if not how do you regulate the deer numbers?
We have limits- Guest can't hunt opening week of gun season including the 1st 2 weekends and they are limited to one buck and 1 doe.
The big issue here is it puts me in a bad position, which due to personal reasons I dont really need to discuss on a public forum, I have 20 members that I have to try to make happy, some of the guys on the waiting list are friends of members ,do you put this ex-member ahead of them? what kind of static will the members that are in that thru the luck of a draw got the ex-members stands? It goes on and on! The only fair way I see is to let the current members decide if this ex-member is allowed back in and from what I have gotten from talking to several that aint happening- his/her's name goes on a waiting list behind those already on it! If a opening happenings next year they are more than welcome to join back. Having to deal with this stuff sure takes allot of enjoyment out of it but as you all know leases are going up and up, when you start bumping a grand people start getting excited. We decided several years ago to "Limit" the amount of members on the lease to try and make a better overall picture as well as better bucks, and folks for 3 or 4 years have paid the price for that- some may call that greed some might agree all I am doing is trying to be fair to all the "Paying" members!

·
Registered
12,769 Posts
We have limits- Guest can't hunt opening week of gun season including the 1st 2 weekends and they are limited to one buck and 1 doe.
The big issue here is it puts me in a bad position, which due to personal reasons I dont really need to discuss on a public forum, I have 20 members that I have to try to make happy, some of the guys on the waiting list are friends of members ,do you put this ex-member ahead of them? what kind of static will the members that are in that thru the luck of a draw got the ex-members stands? It goes on and on! The only fair way I see is to let the current members decide if this ex-member is allowed back in and from what I have gotten from talking to several that aint happening- his/her's name goes on a waiting list behind those already on it! If a opening happenings next year they are more than welcome to join back. Having to deal with this stuff sure takes allot of enjoyment out of it but as you all know leases are going up and up, when you start bumping a grand people start getting excited. We decided several years ago to "Limit" the amount of members on the lease to try and make a better overall picture as well as better bucks, and folks for 3 or 4 years have paid the price for that- some may call that greed some might agree all I am doing is trying to be fair to all the "Paying" members!
Your on the right track........the one's that pay are the most important!

Their opinions and desires need to be listened to because they are the one's that pay the bills.

Your not being greedy just smart!:up:

·
Registered
12,769 Posts
OH and by the way ......I agree dealing with this stuff does take some of the fun away from it.
I have always hoped I would get the right people so I wouldn't have to deal with this crap from year to year.........but it ain't happened yet!:smack:

·
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was in a camp a few years ago that had the same problem. So we changed the rules. No guests the first week of modern gun season. No guest during turkey season. AND, the guest fee was $100/day.
That was my suggestion back when we had the meeting anyone who pays the bills knows you never have enough money, but the majority ruled on the 2 years deal and that is what it is! As long as you keep it in the majority at least you make more happy than you P off!:smack:

·
Premium Member
15,106 Posts
Buba, these guys have put you in a bad spot. But, I would bet they knew all along what they were doing. Sometimes its hard to be a harda$$ but you've got the majority of membership backing you up.. We make it tough on guest where I hunt.. Anything they kill comes out of your (person that brought them) total bag and its a $100 to step out the door with a weapon.. You've got a waiting list, don't put up with any BS.. Friends don't do friends that way..

·
Banned
7,034 Posts

:thumb:

I sure do miss the big camp lease atmosphere, but sure dont miss this kinda BS. I feel for ya bubba, is a tough situation to be overseeing.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,488 Posts

That's how the cow bit the cabbage right there...if they don't like it....they can just lump it!:up: Gives the rest of the members something to think about!

·
Registered
71 Posts
yes, sir being the money man of a camp and having to deal with what u have does take away a lot of quality time for you. after, the lease is paid any member who gets out and does not pay on time should have to pay at least a 15 percent late fee or like u say wait 2 years---u have a hard job and is heck to deal with making ends meet.

we do not allow guests repeating guests that come for years and not consider being a full time member!! we also limit to 5 days in one year that they can be a quest. if they hunt the 6th day they pay what the regular members paid on the spot right then

I had an incident just like what u are dealing with and I replaced those 4 mermbers with new people....but the problem came when the 4 who got out kept leaving thier stands in the woods and new members looking for a place to put one up--this all would fall back to me:banghead:

I like your 2 year rule, these leases are hard to make each year and u sure do not need someone holding back to the last minute to make up thier minds or try to get out the cheapest way they can. There is NO-CHEAP way to hunt anymore, especialloy on paper co land

·
Select Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winne
5,314 Posts
Hey Bubba,

I agree with others, that they are just S O L ! They tried to get around not paying and that would have me PO'ed.

At our place only members can kill a buck, and there are only 3 guest days for doe only.

Yes we are greedy, but at over $800 per member I think we have a right to be. If you want to play get off your checkbook like the rest of us.

You have to pay to play nowdays !

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.