Arkansas Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

· Premium Member
18,541 Posts
I’ve been looking at the benchmade steep
Country. I got a benchmade flyway this year for cleaning waterfowl and have loved it. The ESSE looks nice too. A few of the others I will have to look up. I would like for it to be a hard enough steel to last for at least 2 deer without having to be touched up. Thanks for all the suggestions
There isn't a steel made that won't need some honing theough two deer. A nice steel or some ceramic rods can keep an edge on some good steel a long time.

· Registered
1,145 Posts
I've been using a Morakniv Craftline Basic I got off Amazon for the last couple of years. It was $9.99 at the time. It's nothing fancy, but it will skin and dress a deer and hold an edge. My go-to has been an old Western that I got from the stamp store back in the day. But if you just need something sharp, the
Best steel I have seen in a knife, and has a nice handle too. When you step back and ask yourself: “what is a knife supposed to do?”
Cut, resharpen easily, and hold an edge well, have a good grip and ergonomics. Some say those mora knives aren’t much to look at, but to me, it is a beautiful tool.

· Premium Member
18,541 Posts
Best steel I have seen in a knife, and has a nice handle too. When you step back and ask yourself: “what is a knife supposed to do?”
Cut, resharpen easily, and hold an edge well, have a good grip and ergonomics. Some say those mora knives aren’t much to look at, but to me, it is a beautiful tool.
Keep one in every vehicle and every pack as "just in case" knives. Best $15 to $20 knives you can buy in my opinion.

· Registered
171 Posts
I try to keep up with "up and coming" makers. If any of yall are looking for a good custom knife go to Instagram or facebook to @taboneknives. Tbone makes a good quality clean hand forged knife for only $300. I have cut with him, checked his work many times. My outlook for him is that he is one that will do good. By that I mean, the work is clean, he does it right, is a good sound solid person so he's honest and has good business practices. That all comes in to play. He asks questions to the "right" people on how to improve etc, folks like Vilar, Cook and Rhea. Look over his work if you are looking for a knife. It might be next deer season before he gets you one, I have no idea on his delivery time.

· Registered
7,937 Posts
Kinfolks. Every deer I've cleaned the last 10 years or so has been with one like this. My handle is a little different, but the same blade. It was my Papaw's. A few licks on a sharpening steel before I start and it's like new.

· Premium Member
Commish Weld
24,472 Posts
Kinfolks. Every deer I've cleaned the last 10 years or so has been with one like this. My handle is a little different, but the same blade. It was my Papaw's. A few licks on a sharpening steel before I start and it's like new.

Looks like it came straight out of The Backwoodsman Magazine!

· Registered
2,176 Posts

Looks like the stacked leather handle on an old Western brand knife, I got back in the 60’s. It was made In Colorado.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts