Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
1,913 Posts
I've been using a Morakniv Craftline Basic I got off Amazon for the last couple of years. It was $9.99 at the time. It's nothing fancy, but it will skin and dress a deer and hold an edge. My go-to has been an old Western that I got from the stamp store back in the day. But if you just need something sharp, the

· Registered
It changes from time to time
6,383 Posts
Body jewelry Wood Jewellery Nickel Fashion accessory
Wood Tool Hardwood Font Feather
Wood Feather Font Jewellery Blade
I’ve always found Boker knives to be a good value. They have some nice fixed blades at Midway that won’t break the bank. I have a $35 SS bone handle Barlow that is my daily carry knife. I got this set of fixed blades for Christmas that were under $100. They ain’t Fisk but they get very sharp, hold an edge well, & do what I need done.

· Grand Member
17,427 Posts
My go to knife for skinning and working up a deer is my Buck 102 Woodsman. It's just the right size to me and is tough as nails. I've got a Buck 119, but it's just too big for skinning. I've also got a Benchmade Steep Country, that's really nice, but I prefer the thinner blade of the 102, to the wide blade on the Benchmade.

· Registered
3,638 Posts
I’ve got a Bark River Huntsman that I really like for deer hunting. It’s not too big to be a good skinner, holds an edge well, and is really easy to sharpen.
IMO a lot of people carry a hunting knife that’s too big to be useful for hunting. I’ve had a few knives over the years where the steel was so hard they were almost impossible to sharpen. The A-2 tool steel on the Huntsman seems to be a good balance of toughness and ease of sharpening.

· Premium Member
18,539 Posts
Buck 196 Mini Alpha. I've used it for years and absolutely love this little knife, although I'm not a huge Buck fan overall.

Whatever you choose, keep it to a 3" blade or less. Rambo knives are awkward and just don't give any advantage. A solid 3" fixed blade will solve all your problems.

Natural material Composite material Fashion accessory Carmine Electric blue

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I’ve been looking at the benchmade steep
Country. I got a benchmade flyway this year for cleaning waterfowl and have loved it. The ESSE looks nice too. A few of the others I will have to look up. I would like for it to be a hard enough steel to last for at least 2 deer without having to be touched up. Thanks for all the suggestions

1 - 20 of 50 Posts