Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have alwaya wanted to harvest a black bear or any bear for that matter. Anyway I was looking at lodges and guides and was thinking why not just go to some public land and hunt. I realize there is no baiting on public land and, although it will decrease my odds, I am ok with that. I would like to know just how do you go about hunting bear? can anyone advize or point me to some book or other publication on tips to at least get into an area where there is sign?

Reading the threads here I understand White Rock has a good population. Any help will be appreciated.

· Registered
11,870 Posts
I use to go and hunt for them at Sylamore and in the ONF. I never shot at one but did find some and saw a couple. I was fortunate to run across a very helpful AGFC employee from Sylamore that took me around and showed me what to look for and what to do. He told me that when the acorns are falling bears feed 24 hours a day and don't move much at all. They don't see well but hear and smell extremely well. They are in the most remote places in the forest where they can feed undisturbed. You have to find them and just be lucky enough to be sitting on the same hillside where they are feeding and see one. While I did find sign in Sylamore. I did see much more in the Ozark National Forest.

· Registered
246 Posts
Loafers Glory WMA in Searcy county has quite a few bears. Our camp joins this WMA and I did harvest my first black bear up there this year. But black bears are not populated anywhere near as much as deer. And these guys are as sneaky as they come. I have been hunting up there 10 years now and the one I got this year is only the second one I have seen up there. But I know they are there. Plenty of destroyed deer feeders, dug out logs, and bear crap to prove that. Luck does play a large role especially if on public land. I just happened to be down in a deep canyon one evening looking for a coyote I had shot at the day before. Got tired as was resting on a rock when the bear showed up on the opposite ridge from me. Took 5 of us 2 hours to drag him out far enough to where a 4-wheeler could get to him. So yes the more remote and secluded the better chance you have. Good luck!

· Banned
6,918 Posts
Since you cant bait, you just need luck. Bears are almost impossible to pattern if they aren't visiting a bait station, or some kind of food draw. As said above, find a heavy acorn crop deep in the woods and slowly slip around till you see one.
I used to hunt them pretty hard. Never did kill one. I jumped a few and they were gone before I could get a shot. Just never got lucky enough to see one first, before he saw me. I gave up after a few years of it.

That said, I would hunt White Rock WMA near Cass. There a LOT of bears up there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.