Hunting a Sport??

Discussion in 'General Hunting Topics' started by Lungbustr05, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Lungbustr05

Lungbustr05 Well-Known Member

How many of yall consider hunting a sport?

Personally I do not. It makes me mad every time I hear someone say it. I am out there for the meat. Sure it is fun, but the fun is only brought on by my quest for meat. I see it no different than grocery shopping really. Instead of going to Kroger I go to the woods. I think calling it a sport only gives the anit's fuel for the fire. Just my 2 cents. What do yall think?

2. dartonmav60

dartonmav60 Well-Known Member

Bismarck
    +1

3. Afalex1

Afalex1 Well-Known Member

Cabot
    Yep, god's grocery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

4. I dont know why but it kinda gets under my skin to hear people say "harvest" or "take" instead of kill. It shouldn't bother me , there's nothin wrong with sayin that but it does just the same.....

5. Everyone is correct!

When I get asked what my hobbies are, hunting is 1st on the list.

You call it sport, I call it hobbies, he calls it shopping. As long as everyone stays safe and enjoys every moment of it, I don't think we should really catagorize it as anything other than human nature.

6. chuey

chuey Well-Known Member

I do think its a sport, not like football or baseball and stuff, but it is a skill and practice makes perfect. I also hunt for the meat,but I do try my hardest to out wit a mature buck and that is what gets me going. Knowing that I'm in his bedroom and certain things have to go my way to get a glimpse of him more less a shot at him. I have played football and baseball and tennis and golf my whole life, but nothing gets my adrenaline flowing like seeing a deer or a turkey slipping thru the woods and walking into a lane or responding to a call and presenting me with a shot and being able to put my hands on the wild creature that god has made! It's the ultimate rush!! Kinda off base and I see your point, I guess I just see it a little different than some.

7. Houston boy

Houston boy Well-Known Member

SportFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search For other uses, see Sport (disambiguation).

Sport in childhood. Association football, shown above, is a team sport which also provides opportunities to nurture physical fitness and social interaction skills.Sport (or, in the United States and Canada, sports) is all forms of competitive physical activity which,[1] through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical ability and provide entertainment to participants.[2] Hundreds of sports exist, from those requiring only two participants, through to those with hundreds of simultaneous participants, either in teams or competing as individuals.

Sport is generally recognised as activities which are based in physical athleticism or physical dexterity, with the largest major competitions such as the Olympic Games admitting only sports meeting this definition,[3] and other organisations such as the Council of Europe using definitions precluding activities without a physical element from classification as sports.[2] However, a number of competitive, but non-physical, activities claim recognition as mind sports. The International Olympic Committee (through ARISF) recognises both chess and bridge as bona fide sports, and SportAccord, the international sports federation association, recognises five non-physical sports,[4][5] although limits the amount of mind games which can be admitted as sports.[1]

Sports are usually governed by a set of rules or customs, which serve to ensure fair competition, and allow consistent adjudication of the winner. Winning can be determined by physical events such as scoring goals or crossing a line first, or by the determination of judges who are scoring elements of the sporting performance, including objective or subjective measures such as technical performance or artistic impression.

In organised sport, records of performance are often kept, and for popular sports, this information may be widely announced or reported in sport news. In addition, sport is a major source of entertainment for non-participants, with spectator sports drawing large crowds to venues, and reaching wider audiences through sports broadcasting

8. stingerslinger

stingerslinger Well-Known Member

I agree that hunting is more of a hobby than a sport...and getting meat at the grocery store would be a lot cheaper in my case.

9. WILDMAN44

WILDMAN44 Well-Known Member

If as far as I've walked/waded/crawled on some hunts it makes me think about said question.

Now if you we're chasing deer through the woods on foot with a spear or rock then I think it would definitely be a sport.

10. Arkiehunter74

Arkiehunter74 Well-Known Member

You must be infuriated every time you see a "Sporting Goods" store.

11. KemperCamper

KemperCamper Select Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest W

Baaahahaaaaa

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but make no mistake.

HUNTING IS A SPORT, A BLOOD SPORT, BUT A SPORT NONETHELESS !!!!!!!!

12. Hip

Hip Well-Known Member

its a sport that you train for.

13. Passthrough

Passthrough Account Suspended

Sport for sure

sent from my Obama phone

14. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Well-Known Member

Sport is ruining the tradition of hunting.

15. Nat1

Nat1 Well-Known Member

It's only a sport if you are hunting Bigfoots

16. "You don't get exercise when hunting."---Ever drag a deer a half mile, uphill?:thumb:

17. duck

duck Well-Known Member

I hunt because I enjoy it. If I kill one, thats a bonus. As for as the meat is concerned, for me it would be a lot cheaper to go buy beef from the store.

18. Lungbustr05

Lungbustr05 Well-Known Member

I guess I misspoke. You guys are right about the athletic ability it takes and trying to outsmart an animal in their backyard. I guess I just get a little frustrated at most of the hunting shows I see on TV because 99% of what I see is about the horns and not the food it supplies. I think your average inner city unattached liberal see's that on TV and thinks that horn size is all that matters. I have no problem with chasing a nice set of horns as long as you eat the meat. I just wish the guys that represent all of us on TV spent a little more time showing respect for the animal, talking about how healthy the meat they just took is, and pointing out the necessary wildlife management side of it. Most the time I watch those shows the first thing I see after the shot is them picking up the head and counting the points. Yall are also right about meat cost. All the gas money adds up quick. I am lucky that I live less than a mile from where I hunt. Most the meat that goes in my freezer is trapped. Beaver are abundant, delicious, and pretty easy to catch.

19. bearpaw

bearpaw Well-Known Member

if your hunting for the meat you would be far better of money wise to go to a grocery store and buy your meat. by the time i pay hunting lease fees, hunting license, gasoline, etc. i could have gone to a store and filled up my freezer with meat. for me the meat is an added bonus. the real enjoyment is sitting in Gods creation listinening to the woods come alive, seeing the sun rise through the trees, etc. just my two cents worth. have a blessed day.

20. AR Thumper

AR Thumper Well-Known Member

Camden
    For Some its an ADDICTION OR OBSESSION! Worse than Crack!:eek: