Huntin over a big ole pile of bait...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by SalineRiver, Dec 27, 2010.

1. SalineRiver

SalineRiver Well-Known Member

How many of you will do that in this late season hunt? I have a LOT of foodplot to hunt but the big boys won't come out in the daylight. Thinking about chumming them up.

2. SR4

SR4 Super Member<br>'07/'08 Bowhunting Contest Team Wi

Late season, early season, middle of season.......I'm in!

3. I use it all season long. I have a couple spots I use it. If you get yourself a feeder on a timer you will save yourself a lot of feed that way. Plus set it to go off when you want to and it will help keeping them from turning nocturnal. I had one but someone needed it more than I did appearently. I hope it is working well for them. I am saving up to get another one. They work the best in my opinion because you can control when the deer can get food.

4. Tink

Tink Platinum Member<br>2011-2012 Bowhunting Contest Te

Well since food plots is baiting I will hit the outer edges of them.

5. SalineRiver

SalineRiver Well-Known Member

I'm not saying that food plots are bait one way or another, maybe its just semantics.

What is your go-to feed? I figure corn is the obvious 1st with rice bran probably second. Anybody use the molasses based stuff for stumps?

6. austincrutchfield

austincrutchfield Well-Known Member

I threw out some corn in a few spots last weekend and a couple of them are being hit hard right now. Other spot still has to many acorns, food plots are getting hit really good also.

7. Ozark hunter

Ozark hunter Well-Known Member

yesterday morning i watched 8 does walk within 30 yards of my feeder to eat rotten acorns :head:

8. austincrutchfield

austincrutchfield Well-Known Member

There are acorns here that are still good, or your corn must be really bad:fit:

9. bigworm

bigworm Well-Known Member

there are still fresh acorns droppin. they may be hard to find, but i found a couple of red oaks last year at the end of january still droppin. they were laying nice and pretty right on top of about 2 inches of ice. i have never had much luck gettin those old bruiser to come in the daylite to anything that i've put out.

10. DeLancey

DeLancey Well-Known Member

I keep corn and protien mix going all season at a few spots just none have paid off yet this year:banghead:

11. Red Oak

Red Oak Well-Known Member

For the last three weeks i have been just pouring out corn in a pile by the stand and it takes them about day and half before it is gone. I am not getting any pictures of any good bucks at my feeders but where i pour it on the ground been getting some real good pictures. But the deer are still feeding on acrons also were i am at.

12. gotyacovered

gotyacovered Well-Known Member

about this time every year i lower my personal hunting ethics... started about 5 days ago with 200 lbs of corn.:dontknow:

13. gotyacovered

gotyacovered Well-Known Member

think i saw some pin oaks that had dropped fresh acorns... does that sound right? not even 100% sure it was a pin oak... :rolleyes:

14. nwa_bowhunter

nwa_bowhunter Well-Known Member

I've got corn feeders out at my new lease and the deer are hitting it hard. After rain tomorrow I plan on putting some rice bran out too.

15. TacHunter

TacHunter Well-Known Member

I know they are tearing up mineral licks!:thumb:

16. bigworm

bigworm Well-Known Member

sounds right to me. there are lots of pin oaks where i hunt and there are fresh ones everywhere. i like finding those bigger acorns. i don't know if they like them any better, but i would if i was a big ole buck. :head:

17. antler3

antler3 Well-Known Member

I have heard said they didn't bother the minerals too much until spring and summer. But I guess they use them all year :head: