hunters refuge vs jims trading post

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by bawildcat71, Jan 1, 2011.

1. bawildcat71

bawildcat71 Well-Known Member

I bought new columbia waders from hunters refuge the last 3 days of season last year i wore them 2 times and then after 3 hunts this year they leaked everywhere and yes they were stored properly. I took them back to hunters refuge to return them and after being told i could get a new pair and waiting a hour and a half later the owner walks in to tell me i cant. He was VERY pissy about it. I will never set foot in that store again. I have dealt with jims several times and russell has never gotten the least bit pissy with me ive had great sevice there. If he wouldnt have gave me my money back he would have went about telling me that 100 times better than the owner of hunters refuge... Ill take jims anyday.

2. HANDGUNNER

HANDGUNNER Well-Known Member

haven't dealt with either in years, but was dealing with Jim's long before Hunter's Refuge existed.......I've always had good service with Jim's and the Refuge, so I guess I've been Lucky!

Years ago, Jim's was known as 'Jim's Scalping Post':biggrin::biggrin:

3. bawildcat71

I have dealt with both for about 7 years and i have always preferred jims but its a smaller store so sometimes u need something he doesnt have but ill get him to order it b4 i go back to hunters refuge again....

4. NaturalStateNative

NaturalStateNative Well-Known Member

I hate hunters refuge. They tried to pull the same crap with me over a game camera that wouldnt take pictures. I wasnt getting anywhere with them. They basically called me a liar and that the camera worked fine. They finally offered to send it back to the factory which would take 6 weeks to get back. I just got pissed and stormed out the door expressing my dissatisfaction.
    Then I sent my wife up there to deal with them since she works part time at a salon right down the road....she came home with a brand new camera:biggrin: works every time:up:

5. SalineRiver

SalineRiver Well-Known Member

Never had a problem with HR and scared to go to Jim's. WHY would somebody stay in PB? :confused:

6. bp_lee24

bp_lee24 Well-Known Member

jims has moved to olive street, they were having too many problems with the local wildlife in their old neighborhood... they got a very nice store now and im with wildcat, i wont be back in HR

7. CrappieMaster220

CrappieMaster220 Well-Known Member

The salesman at Macks told me last week that approx 1 in 10 game cams will come back... So seems like they should be familiar with the situation... I myself had a game cam that was pretty crappy.

8. alphamax32

alphamax32 Well-Known Member

thats not the reason that they moved............. but either store is a reputable store and have always been good to me , so it just depends on what mood im in when i need something , but to each their own, some people like wal mart while others like kmart............. thats just my 2 cents...........:thumb:

9. be_z71

be_z71 Well-Known Member

I buy quite a bit from both stores. Have dealt with both owners and had no problems with either one. Russell, at Jim's, may be more personable, though. Jim's has a greater selection of used guns, too!

10. bawildcat71

In my on opinion nobody can come close to russell when it comes to used guns....

11. bawildcat71

Jims did move because they were gettin broke into very often..... (local wildlife)

12. Busterboy1

Busterboy1 Well-Known Member

Thats exactly right! Russel told me that they had to do something because the sorry thieves went from breaking windows to get in to driving stolen trucks through the wall. It just cost too much to stay there any longer.

13. live2hunt

live2hunt Well-Known Member

I know several people that will never deal with Hunters Refuge again becaue of the owners pissy little attitude. I am one of them. He told me that I would have to come back the next day to get some arrows cut when his archery guy wasn't there. I explained to him how easy it was to flip the switch on the saw and cut the arrows but he didn't seem to understand that. Russel at Jim's has always been great and if they dont have what I need I will order it or drive to Macks.

14. Doug Fryer

Doug Fryer Well-Known Member

What he said X 2.

Every firearm I have bought since I was able to buy on my own I bought from Linda......she's always done me right on gun purchases.........When I need anything archery I go to HR. Brent is top notch when it comes to bows and bow hunting stuff.

15. bawildcat71

Dont get me wrong its nothing against who works there brent is a freakin genius at bows and he has done some really nice things for me and charged very little for it... Its specifically the owner of hunters refuge and his pissy lil attitude just like livetohunt said.. If brent worked for jims it would b awesome but russell has some new bow guys that arent bad thereselves..

16. Doug Fryer

Doug Fryer Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't blame ya........I would be the same way. No reason for there ever to be an unhappy customer unless they are clearly trying to get over.......in this case you just wanted the situation to be made right.

My wife owns a small retail business in PB.........you can't go around wizzing the customers off thats for sure.........cuts into the bottom line.:up:

17. alphamax32

alphamax32 Well-Known Member

You may be right to a certain point , but thats not the whole reason they moved. if they got broken into on bay street , they aint safer on olive street i promise you that! There were other reasons for the move. But both businesses are respectable businesses and neither owners are perfect.

18. ffinman

ffinman Member<br>2010-11 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

I personally won't EVER go back to Jim's again. I tried on two diffrent occaions to make two totaly diffrent deals on trading with Russell and he tried to Screw me both times. I had done alot of busness with them before this and it went ok but the second time I walked out will be my last!

19. ArkArcher

ArkArcher Moderator Staff Member

Couldn't agree with you more! That guy is the best there is when it comes to working on bows! I took him a string I ordered from a guy in PA, a drop away rest I had at home I had to buy a peep so I got one from him and had him put it all on for me. What did he charge me? The $8 for the G5 peep and that was it. And he put a new string loop on there too. I've been in there a lot since that day and he has always been like that. :up:

20. bawildcat71

I bought a brand new bow from donaldsons in monticello (dont go there) and when i got it home i couldnt get it to shoot consistently.. Now im no pro but im no chump eithier shootin bows so i took it to brent and he laughed at my bow turned and looked at me and said my bow was set up with the top cam a half inch tighter than the bottom... Took him like 30 minutes to fix there crap fine tuned it and charged me like $3 for labor... You cant beat that!