Arkansas Hunting banner

21621 - 21640 of 21676 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
RE: Previously undisclosed events and encounters involving BF which took place in and around the location cited in my post #21613 of September 14, 2020.

The writer is absolutely certain there are at least ten (10) of the individual animals that reside, actively forage and monitor human activity around both sides and past the upper end of Lake Winona along the Alum Fork of the Saline River.

The three males that hunt, forage and prowl on the south side of the lake are generally not aggressive, prone to prank with campers at night, follow hunters, and are deliberately comical at times while vocalizing to get the attention of humans, night or day. They typically approach camp sites at night foraging for food, and if no food is found, may start making loud and off key, silly sounds of owls, day birds or canines.

A small group that typically inhabits an area NW of the lake consist on a dominate male and a smaller male, one or two females and at least two young ones. The big male is very protective of the group, very watchful over them, and DOES NOT ALLOW HUMANS near the group's bedding area at any time or near their spring fed water source during hot and dry periods. The dominate male is not afraid of humans at night, and will approach and forage for food left out or discarded.

The primary reason for this post is to alert hunters, campers and hikers that the group of BF that has inhabited the area due north of the lake have, over the years, become noticeable aggressive for some reason. There have been at least three undocumented reports during the past few year that campers on the sites just west of the lake boat ramp entrance have used gunfire to drive these animals away from their camp at night.

Just a little over a month two adult couples had been listening at night to vocalizations just east of the lake ramp entrance. Then they drove past the boat ramp entrance road several yards and stopped to listen. Shortly they heard one of the animals screaming and bellowing from near one of campsite ahead of them. They then heard a barrage of gun fire from one of the camp. The two couples soon left the area.

I turned 86 a couple of days ago. Just wanted folks to know what's going on up there before it's too late for me. (Ain't quitting yet; going back up there if it rains and turns cool in the next few days.)
According to the Weather Channel you are about to get your wish for rain :) How does the rain help your efforts ?

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
I said I could read about anything----But Really it lost my interest after first few words.
Should be a book so people could take there time an get all the good out of it.
I disagree with you sparkie, Tal is a good writer and his reports are clear and easy to read. Maybe you're just not interested in the topic, or maybe you don't like all the background info he provides in the reports.

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #21,628
I disagree with you sparkie, Tal is a good writer and his reports are clear and easy to read. Maybe you're just not interested in the topic, or maybe you don't like all the background info he provides in the reports.
Mr. Sparkie will likely regain his "interest" if he hunts a few more years.

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #21,629
According to the Weather Channel you are about to get your wish for rain :) How does the rain help your efforts ?
Rain falling on a tent or camper trailer at night is like a lullaby for humans; deep sleep and loud snoring. That's when Boogers can silently slip in and unzip the tent or open the door on a trailer, and ........... sniff folk's hair like crazy Joe Biden does. :eek:

21621 - 21640 of 21676 Posts