Hunted down and killed because he did'nt have a trapping license!!

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by 10pointman, Dec 27, 2010.

1. 10pointman

10pointman Waterfowl forum Sheriff<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Co Staff Member

2. thanks for posting! that was very intersting!

3. WackinNstackin

WackinNstackin Well-Known Member

Pretty good read

4. SR4

SR4 Super Member<br>'07/'08 Bowhunting Contest Team Wi

x2

5. belliott

belliott Well-Known Member

Great read. They don't raise them like that anymore.

6. One of my Christmas gifts was a book (The Mad Trapper) about this man..:up:

7. papagg2

papagg2 Well-Known Member

The days are gone when a man could go and just be left alone and do as he pleased. That's when America was really America.

8. flintknapper

flintknapper Moderator/smokepole pimp

Great story. They puzzled over who he was and where he came from, but that was a time of great upheaval, lots of folks on the move during the Depression. Many folks got "lost" to the official world.

Wouldn't it be nice to do that today?

9. Ozone

Ozone Well-Known Member

Or Canada....

10. d2

d2 Well-Known Member

I think they made a movie loosely based on this that had Charles Bronson and Lee Marvin in it...d2

11. Hudge

Hudge Well-Known Member

They did. That and Jeremiah Johnson are two of my older favorite movies.

12. 10pointman

What is the name of the movie about the trapper?

13. Death Hunt (Charles Bronson) and Challenge to be Free..

14. 10pointman

Ok Poly, I'll look for those two.:thumb:

15. jsilver919

jsilver919 Well-Known Member

good read

16. bloody acorns

bloody acorns Well-Known Member

Jerimiah Johnson

Good read - Saga of liver eating Johnson - check it out

17. who and how would we react if we could go into the wilderness and live likethis man did i for one have always been able to survive by my self if it were not for my family i would head out into wild

18. gunswapper

gunswapper Well-Known Member

Hunted down & killed

Read it again-- He was bothering other peoples trap lines and he fired first, wounding an officer of the law! :confused:

19. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member

I actually lived a trappers life for a few months once - except it was in Louisiana, there was hardly any snow, it was not as cold, I could go to town to buy food, no problems lighting fires or cooking food, I was not chased by the law, and I did have a trapping license - in other words, nothing like what this guy did. I graduated college with a degree in Wildlife Management in Nov of 1977. Jobs were scarce, so I took to the woods and lived in a tent for three months. Traveled by canoe. Land was not posted in those days, so traveled the waterways and camped where I wanted. Came out once a week to buy groceries and sell fur. Ate lots of nutria. Trapped mostly nutria, beaver, otter, coon, with a few fox and cats thrown in the mix. This is when coons averaged $20 and cats were $100. Yotes were even bringing $25. Beaver in the low $20's and nutria $5 to $7. Tough job - had to work no matter the weather. I was young and dumb so did not matter. (now I am old and dumb) Frostbite on my left thumb (it still looks like a yote got ahold of it). Good times. I would like to do that again one day - for a week during good weather and with a boat that had a motor!

20. 10pointman

Yes,You're right.But did that warrant A posse and Dynamite? I don't think so.He shot because he was threatened.The point is that he was hunted down and killed unjustly! He was not a criminal.I did'nt read of any proof saying the HE had tampered with someones traps.That was hearsay.Possibly someone making it look like it was him.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011