Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best bang for the buck in small hunting camp buildings? Think occasional use family duck/deer camp....mostly weekends. Not a party pad or place to impress clients......just mainly a place to sleep a night or two and eat a meal..........

Used camper, tar shack, old mobile home, metal building, stick frame on site?

·
Registered
6 Posts
One of my buddies and myself built a 20 X 24 cabin using the "scrap" insulated panels from Centra, located in Sheridan. We used panels for the floor, walls and roof. We heat with a small bathroom type gas heater and cool with a window unit. Don't have to worry about anything chewing thru, about the only thing that gets in ours is a spider now and then.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Before the housing crunch hit you could get a repo'd mobile home right. Thats what we did; gutted carpet, washed walls with bleach water and a little here and there. I did consider a portable building at one point. Add a little plumbing and wiring, wall off a bedroom or not. Would be about the cheapest way to go without building yourself.

·
Grand Member
14,009 Posts
We bought a portable building, 12 X 32. Insulated it, paneled it with 1/2 inch blandex, linoleum on the floor, put a bathroom ( shower and sink) across one end, 3 bunk beds, propane infrared heater and an air conditioner. The one we got has a 4 foot covered porch on it so the living space measures 10 ft 6 inches X 28 ft. I think we gave about $5000 for the building and then spent about another $1000 on the rest of the finishing it out. I did some scrounging and got the 3 X 4 foot shower and linoleum cheaper than I'd expected by buying old stock from a lumber yard and a furniture store. Had most of the electrical stuff already so the wiring isn't figured in. Built the bunk beds out of 2 X 6 and 2 X 4's and left over Blandex from paneling the building. Got an on demand water heater for $150 and use a 275 gal tank on a trailer and an on demand 12 volt pump from an RV.It's worked out great so far.

One thing, if you watch the want adds you can find used portable building for sale, some of them have already been finished out and wired. But even buying it new, we couldn't build it for what we paid for delivered to our place. :up:

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One of my buddies and myself built a 20 X 24 cabin using the "scrap" insulated panels from Centra, located in Sheridan. We used panels for the floor, walls and roof. We heat with a small bathroom type gas heater and cool with a window unit. Don't have to worry about anything chewing thru, about the only thing that gets in ours is a spider now and then.

Did ya'll build a frame or use the panels themselves for support? How do you cut out for doors and such?

This would probably be best if they don't cost too much. Security and being tough long term are going to be issues......half of ya'll will see this thing if I get it going.......

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We bought a portable building, 12 X 32. Insulated it, paneled it with 1/2 inch blandex, linoleum on the floor, put a bathroom ( shower and sink) across one end, 3 bunk beds, propane infrared heater and an air conditioner. The one we got has a 4 foot covered porch on it so the living space measures 10 ft 6 inches X 28 ft. I think we gave about $5000 for the building and then spent about another $1000 on the rest of the finishing it out. I did some scrounging and got the 3 X 4 foot shower and linoleum cheaper than I'd expected by buying old stock from a lumber yard and a furniture store. Had most of the electrical stuff already so the wiring isn't figured in. Built the bunk beds out of 2 X 6 and 2 X 4's and left over Blandex from paneling the building. Got an on demand water heater for $150 and use a 275 gal tank on a trailer and an on demand 12 volt pump from an RV.It's worked out great so far.

One thing, if you watch the want adds you can find used portable building for sale, some of them have already been finished out and wired. But even buying it new, we couldn't build it for what we paid for delivered to our place. :up:

We've discussed this option at length.....I'm afraid it would be a bad break in target though......

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Around here, it'd have to built of armour plate, bullet proof glass and have a bank vault door if you wanted to keep it being torn up, broke into or prevent it being shot full of holes or burned down. We have to pull all our stuff home every year.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Around here, it'd have to built of armour plate, bullet proof glass and have a bank vault door if you wanted to keep it being torn up, broke into or prevent it being shot full of holes or burned down. We have to pull all our stuff home every year.
This is around the scatters..... old farm house spot right on a county road.

I know theft is a major issue in the area, but there are farm headquarters, a few homes, and other camps in the area.....they seem to survive without bullet holes

·
Registered
6 Posts
we used treated 2 x 6 sills and floor joists. You use light weight angle iron (red-iron)and self-tapping screws to attach the walls to both the floor, ceiling and corners. We started out with a 12 X 24 and used doubled 2 X 6's for a center beam with a cedar post in the middle. Later we added a 8 X 24 addition. We scrounged around and got a lot of our materials cheap or free. We did have to buy 3-16" trailers of scrap to get enough panels for the 12 X 24. We found a metal door and made an angle iron frame, just cut a hole where we wanted and bolted it in place. If I remember correctly, we had about $1200 in the 12 X 24 and another 800 or so in the 8 X 24 addition. We looked at the portable buildings, trailers, covered carports and thought that this was the best option for us. One big advantage is these have a really high "R" factor. I don't remember what the R is but we heat with an old small bathroom type propane heater and I have been there when it was 18F outside and it was nice in the cabin and I had about a 3/8 flame in the heater. We built the floor and mounted the floor panels in 2 days. We did have a little trouble joining the floor but once we figured out how they went together, it was a lot faster. We pre-cut all of the end, side and roof panels and it just took one day to assemble the 12 X 24. We did the same on the 8 X 12 addition and it took a day to build the floor and assemble.
Did ya'll build a frame or use the panels themselves for support? How do you cut out for doors and such?

This would probably be best if they don't cost too much. Security and being tough long term are going to be issues......half of ya'll will see this thing if I get it going.......

·
Premium Member
3,255 Posts
portable buildings...

There are hundreds of places in Arkansas that sell the "cabin" type portable buildings. The wife and I just looked at some at Lowes the other day. It wouldn't take much to add bunks and an old wood burning stove. Or you can put in a propane cooking stove / heating stove and bring a bottle of propane with ya each time. And you can do the 55 gallon barrel buried out behind it and have an indoor toilet. The ones we looked at were kinda like these:

Or the idea of an old mobile home or trailer sounds ok too. You can watch the classifieds or Craigslist and find old mobile homes for little or nothing.

Miketyson26 :flag:

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
we used treated 2 x 6 sills and floor joists. You use light weight angle iron (red-iron)and self-tapping screws to attach the walls to both the floor, ceiling and corners. We started out with a 12 X 24 and used doubled 2 X 6's for a center beam with a cedar post in the middle. Later we added a 8 X 24 addition. We scrounged around and got a lot of our materials cheap or free. We did have to buy 3-16" trailers of scrap to get enough panels for the 12 X 24. We found a metal door and made an angle iron frame, just cut a hole where we wanted and bolted it in place. If I remember correctly, we had about $1200 in the 12 X 24 and another 800 or so in the 8 X 24 addition. We looked at the portable buildings, trailers, covered carports and thought that this was the best option for us. One big advantage is these have a really high "R" factor. I don't remember what the R is but we heat with an old small bathroom type propane heater and I have been there when it was 18F outside and it was nice in the cabin and I had about a 3/8 flame in the heater. We built the floor and mounted the floor panels in 2 days. We did have a little trouble joining the floor but once we figured out how they went together, it was a lot faster. We pre-cut all of the end, side and roof panels and it just took one day to assemble the 12 X 24. We did the same on the 8 X 12 addition and it took a day to build the floor and assemble.

Yea, those panels are designed for high performance applications like domes and government buildings.....you should have an excellent camp.

I'd probably need to see how they attach before I attempted anything like that..... I know some folks that work over there and they all seem to know how to build with them.... thanks for the detailed post.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts