Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set up on a place that looks good, close to feed, here comes Lou-Etta... the doe stepped into a thick spot slowly, and I was waiting... hand on bow, tab already fingering the string... Before she got into the opening I had planned, I saw her vitals through a opening in the brush. Just like on my yard and porch targets a thousand times before, and a thousand times before that, the arrow was gliding silently back to my anchor... I saw the arrow underneath the spot I wanted to hit, in my peripheral vision, she was still, I was anchored... at the release, she never moved until the arrow struck her.

She crow hopped and kicked... I could see the little tuft of hair on her side where the arrow went in. I watched her run and stop, but due to the creek running next to me, I couldn’t hear her crash.

At dark, I got down and went to the arrow, it was 14 yds from the base of the tree-blood soaked bright yellow fletching. When I picked it up, there was a little gut smell and foul stomach contents on there, along with all the blood... in my youth, I pursued these deer after mediocre shots, only to never find them again.

This time I left my arrow and came back the next morning, with Charles, the red weenie dog. He is pretty amazing. She went the way I thought, upstream along the creek, made a hard left and went 90 yards, then turned and walked the roughly 80 yards right back past the stand to the creek. Then, she went another 100 yards down stream. She had bedded twice, at least, along the path that Charlie helped us follow... we found her in the creek.

The arrow hit her about 3 inches back from where I would think is dead perfect, and hit the back of the near side lung, then hit liver and came out through some piece of gut on the opposite side. I’m using carbons this year, with weighted inserts and 125 grain, cut on contact, two blade, single bevels I got off amazon (12 for 25 bucks). It cut a large hole.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am so happy for you. I miss shooting and hunting with my longbow but hopefully next year I'll be able to use it again. Hurray for the red weenie dog! That badger hound is showing great versatility.

Did the single bevel make an S looking cut? I've heard they do.

I couldn't tell if it made the swirl cut through the vitals. on Styrofoam, if you pull it back out, the shaft reverse spins back through the foam. so, yes, I would think that the doe had the spiral wound channel. I could not be happier with the GIANT hole cut through both sides of the doe, and I think if I would have put the arrow about 2 inchest further forward, she would have fell within sight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.