Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how are ya'll looking??? I'm personally a little behind I reckon. I've been working 6 days a week for a while now and really haven't put the effort I should have to be ready for Oct. 1st. The biggest deer I have on cam so far this year is a basket rack 8 point. Nothing I really care to shoot. On the upside of things I joined a new camp this year in Sheridan and rode around it this weeek and it shows potential. We also had workday today in Monticello and the food plot is disked up and ready to be planted. Next week I plan to spend a lot of time in the woods doing my homework in Sheridan. One thing I have noticed is that they really arn't focussing on corn this year as in the past. There is a lot of natural food out there this year and I think this will be the key to focus on. So where are ya'll at???

· Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,584 Posts
I'll be rebuilding fence till January most likely! I had some nice racks in velvet before the hog trouble....now I've got a whole nursery of tiny deer that think I'm their Mama!:smack:

· Registered
2,583 Posts
Didn't get my cameras out early enough this time. Like last season no real buck sign on the properties I hunt, but there has been alot of rain. The deer are there, the storms have knocked down a lot of early mast. It isn't ripe yet, bu they are clinging to it. I've got persimmons out the yeng yang, in the persimmon grove, with two of the heaviest loaded trees within bow distance of one stand. Still hoping for it to dry up a bit before the opener, they got to drink.:biggrin:

· Registered
227 Posts
It looks tough right now. I don't have any pics with antlers yet. I feel real good about being able to whack a doe opening day. I lost two persimmon trees to Ike, and lots of acorns are already on the groung from the storms. So I see no point in wastin corn on the deer this year. Corn is for wiskey

· Super Moderator
11,344 Posts
Im kind of behind also. I been busy with school, football, and then workin on the race car at nite and racing on the weekends. I do have a couple of stands up but what few times ive been in woods ive found some good sign. Most of the sign i have found is while coon huntin. I have seen 5 good bucks within 40 yards of my cousins house and ill prolly be up there opening mornin

11,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am more than ready for the season to get here. I have some pics of some very nice deer. I don't know if I can ever match last season, but at least I know there are still big deer there.
Sounds like you found a sure enough honey hole up there :up: Does pat ever hunt with you?:amen:

· Registered
972 Posts
HG and I are WAAAAAAYYYY behind..........all the flooding, then buying the new house, moving, now all the storms, we haven't been able to get up there.

By this time last year, we had already "debugged & defunked" all our stands from spring and summer, rode down all the weeds (timber co will not allow to bushog anywhere close to a stand :censored:), just sittin' back waiting on the clock to strike "Hunting Season"
:biggrin::biggrin:

· Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey
13,107 Posts
I haven't done much. I usually have a couple of feeders going by now, but with the price of corn and all the browse, I'm gonna hold on to my money. I've got a stand I've been wanting to move, but it's 2 1/2 hours away on my in-laws place. I can't justify the $40 in gas to drive down there. I've got some tried and true spots that always hold deer, and I use my climber in these spots. I'm just having a hard time getting fired up about it. Maybe the bug will bite me soon.

· Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,047 Posts
We are way behind- a couple of members last week got some bushhogging done but bottoms still too wet to venture off on a tractor:smack:We did get camp mowed and weedeated and campers cleaned but no stand work yet- plus still looking for the thieves to rattle around:mad:Skeeters are as bad as I have ever seen too!

11,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We are way behind- a couple of members last week got some bushhogging done but bottoms still too wet to venture off on a tractor:smack:We did get camp mowed and weedeated and campers cleaned but no stand work yet- plus still looking for the thieves to rattle around:mad:Skeeters are as bad as I have ever seen too!
You aint joking about them skeeters. Its almost miserable in the woods. Come on cold weather.

· Registered
459 Posts
Been out some, but have seen far less sign than last year and no shooter bucks on camera yet. Not sure why, but it really is different than last year. I suspect the banner year for rain has changet the eating and travel habits a bit. No need to move around with food everywhere.

· Registered
719 Posts
went to camp this weekend and got the bushhoging done. We put in some food plots and planted 150# of oat seeds, peas, and clover. saw lots of tracks, but only seen one old doe. Still early yet but looks like its going to be a good year. Lots of mast and brouse, we should have some healthy deer this year.

· Registered
3,451 Posts
With having knee surgery in the spring and the wet weather, I'm pretty far behind. I did manage to get my food plot here at the house planted. Now, I actually need a little bit of rain. I worked all day putting up a new stand and moving some old ones. I've got quite a bit of stand repair and moving still to do. And the ticks are still pretty bad around here. Man I HATE them things!

· Registered
1,973 Posts
Went down to my camp this past weekend to get some things done. I was going to put up my new tower stand in one of my hot spots from last year and the whole thing was under water. It was from 4" to 2 foot deep. Had to back up and punt to find a different spot. I put it up as well as some new feeders and cameras. Saw some real nice deer and tons of hog sign. Ready for season to open up as long as the pelican sized mosquitos are on their southern migration....Those things were everywhere and bigger than normal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.