Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the river valley about 40 miles east of Ft. Smith. I have seen a few hogs recently and seen some sign over the past couple of years, but never actually had an encounter with one. would like to be able to bow hunt them. I know there is a decent number around here. What should I try?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Find fresh sign such as rooting. then spread corn out over a wide area. LIke down a logging trail for some distance. then go back early or late in the day an spot and stalk. They have great noses and hearing but poor eyesight. It usually only takes them a day or two to find your corn. Once they do they will clean it up in a hurry. Another good time is right after a rain. Especially when the ground is dry. They seem to like digging in that fresh wet dirt. I'm sure it's easier on the old snout.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bait seems to be the key though? I kind of figure they are somewhat like bears. roamers and wanderers. They don't have bedding areas or trails like deer, do they? I have seen some in one area but then never again. They seem to have no patterns.

·
Super Member<br>2009 Photo Contest Winner<br>2012-
2,600 Posts
Jakelogsdon go up highway 23 to till you get to rock creek road ''before it gets crooked''.Follow that road till it turns into a 4 wheeler trail follow it more till it crosses rock creek walk up the ridge 300 yards.Hunt the pond northeast of the creek hogs are all over it in the hot months.It's the only water around when the creek dries up.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I live in the river valley about 40 miles east of Ft. Smith. I have seen a few hogs recently and seen some sign over the past couple of years, but never actually had an encounter with one. would like to be able to bow hunt them. I know there is a decent number around here. What should I try?

In regards to the previsous bear post you made, there shouldnt be any reason you should want to hunt hogs. Theres no sport in it is there?? :eek:

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Jakelogsdon go up highway 23 to till you get to rock creek road ''before it gets crooked''.Follow that road till it turns into a 4 wheeler trail follow it more till it crosses rock creek walk up the ridge 300 yards.Hunt the pond northeast of the creek hogs are all over it in the hot months.It's the only water around when the creek dries up.
Hope this wasnt your favorite spot, now he will be guiding every Tom, Dick, and Harry up there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.