Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I am fairly new to duck hunting (3rd year) and i am trying to get some advice on how to scout some good public land. So far i have only had 2 or 3 decent hunts per year and it gets very frustrating at times. Also, if anyone has any last minute leases that would be willing to negotiate, please email me. I am a very responsible hunter and would be willing to agree to certain agreements that would make things run smoothly.

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
To be a successful public land duck hunter you must scout and scout hard. You should even be scouting while your hunting. It takes footwork and lots of it.

With that said key things to look for:

1) feathers in the water, when you come to a place that has lots of feathers that means ducks are using it or were using it.

2) pay attention to the water. Ducks love freshly flooded area, means new food.

3) Walk or ride in the boat until you find ducks, Once you find them watch them and figure out where they want to be. Sometimes they could care less about big pretty holes.

4) Get away from people, it doesnt matter how good you are or how good you think your spot is if theres yabbits hunting close by they can ruin your hunt.

5) Dont be lazy if the ducks dont like your spot then move to where they want to be.

OK that's enough secrets for now, hope this helps :up:

·
Banned
991 Posts
get up a hunt with someone who knows an area and they can teach you alot about it sometimes. it takes alot of time and even years to really learn a place, you really just about have to get advice from a seasoned hunter to really get you on the right track. don't go to the shooting that will get you in on some killing now and then but most likely just create enemies in the area.....:mad: you don't want to start that if you intend on learning the place. get a gps and walk, ride whatever before/after the season and during splits, mark some spots and try them out, if you want to go to shooting try and get closer to it the next morning but keep in mind ducks move alot as the food or water move. hunting pressure also pushes them. a good lease is hard to find too, you need to know someone most of the time unless you get lucky. it is easy to get screwed also in leases. where have you been hunting?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.