Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) Don't be suprised when an area that everyone knows is holding lots of ducks, also has a ton of hunters ie:Dagmar and the Cache River right now or BM on when it's hot. Go somewhere else, there are pleanty of public places to kill ducks here in AR.

2) Don't make the 4AM run...Lack of sleep can make a person grumpy and grumpiness can lead to angry posts on ARH.net

3) Go where other people are not. You may not have the greatest hunt but you will not stress out either.

4) Don't worry about what others are doing ( spinners, skybusting, leaving the launch too early etc etc etc) If you follow rule # 3, you won't care what others are doing.

I'm sure there a lot more ideas.. these are just a few that come to mind.

and remember, if you think you are a BADH, you probably aren't! :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
5. Quit worrying about how many greenheads you'll have in your daily picture on Facebook.
6. Sometimes a good wood duck shoot with people you love and a good dog is worth more than x limits of mallards.
7. Don't go when the conditions aren't right or when there's few birds. Or even if they are and you have hunted 10 days straight. Go sit on a deer stand, sleep in and watch football, wake up and watch cartoons with the kids once in a while. It will make you appreciate getting to hunt on the days you do go rather than seem like a chore.
8. Don't hunt in big groups.
9. Just because you smoked them yesterday don't mean you will today.
10. Remember that even in the"good ole days" there were plenty of goose egg mornings too.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
5. Quit worrying about how many greenheads you'll have in your daily picture on Facebook.
6. Sometimes a good wood duck shoot with people you love and a good dog is worth more than x limits of mallards.
7. Don't go when the conditions aren't right or when there's few birds. Or even if they are and you have hunted 10 days straight. Go sit on a deer stand, sleep in and watch football, wake up and watch cartoons with the kids once in a while. It will make you appreciate getting to hunt on the days you do go rather than seem like a chore.
8. Don't hunt in big groups.
9. Just because you smoked them yesterday don't mean you will today.
10. Remember that even in the"good ole days" there were plenty of goose egg mornings too.

X2 good stuff! I went Monday with some friends to a WMA that wasn't getting much pressure.. not a lot of ducks but the ones that were there would work..
only killed 4 but had a great time and no comp.. I'll take that over 10 limits in the war zone that Dagmar must be now...

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
1) Don't be suprised when an area that everyone knows is holding lots of ducks, also has a ton of hunters ie:Dagmar and the Cache River right now or BM on when it's hot. Go somewhere else, there are pleanty of public places to kill ducks here in AR.

2) Don't make the 4AM run...Lack of sleep can make a person grumpy and grumpiness can lead to angry posts on ARH.net

3) Go where other people are not. You may not have the greatest hunt but you will not stress out either.

4) Don't worry about what others are doing ( spinners, skybusting, leaving the launch too early etc etc etc) If you follow rule # 3, you won't care what others are doing.

I'm sure there a lot more ideas.. these are just a few that come to mind.

and remember, if you think you are a BADH, you probably aren't! :biggrin:

#1: Marry a woman with a rich daddy and go to his duck blinds. Repeat daily.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ducks don't even taste good why do we do this to ourselves??????

Not saying that your wasting perfectly good duck meat but I believe that's another thing wrong with the sport today too many people wanting to kill for killing and to have a nice pic on Facebook and not for grilling. We were always taught to eat what you kill and the shame is you can't get any better meat out of a grocery store you just have to cook it right...clay pigeons

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
My son was riding around with his pawpaw today up around McCrory and they found two trashbags full of ducks and geese that they hadn't even breasted out he was so mad he said if he had caught the he'd had shot them in the face with his 20ga and he's only 12

·
Registered
748 Posts
Damn what I wouldnt give to get a couple Mallards to cook up. I enjoy the recipe Ryan posted, and even tried it wrapped with fresh cut deli ham and it kept it moist as well. My buddy has been making some duck jerkey. Its not too bad, but its interesting to say the least. Its a load of crap for someone to waste like that it takes what 15 minutes to breast out a limit of ducks? Come on I am sure if you stopped in one of the backwoods towns, or any area it wouldnt take but 5 minutes to give away a limit if you didnt feel like cooking, or cleaning them anyways.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Been there done that on the hole, it was a beaver run, i think the only reason I got out was I stepped on a chinamans head and was able to push up/ Buddy was laughing his backside off because he knew that run was there. Soak them in dails wrap in bacon. Like eating lays potatoe chips. Can't get enough of them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.