Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you clean the bluing on your gun? I have a couple guns that could use a good polish or something on the bluing. Not rusted and the bluing isn't missing, just needs a little more shine to it.

I've heard 000 steel wool with gun oil and lightly rub, and I've heard brass wool and gun oil and Turtle wax. What do ya'll use?

· Registered
5,413 Posts
Fine steel wool will bring back the original luster, but only the ORIGINAL luster. You can't shine up a dull/matte finish to a high gloss and expect to have any bluing left. Just give it a go with 000 or 0000 steel wool and gun oil. You won't scratch the finish with steel wool that fine, and it will polish the metal as well as it can be polished without removing any metal.

· Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fine steel wool will bring back the original luster, but only the ORIGINAL luster. You can't shine up a dull/matte finish to a high gloss and expect to have any bluing left. Just give it a go with 000 or 0000 steel wool and gun oil. You won't scratch the finish with steel wool that fine, and it will polish the metal as well as it can be polished without removing any metal.
Yeah the finish on the bluing isn't a matte finish so I don't have to worry about that....but good point. Its just got some patina to it over the years I think. The person before me didn't take very good care of this gun.

· Registered
3,472 Posts
Get some FLITZ polish, and you'll throw rocks at steel wool. Use a soft cotton rag and a little elbow grease. The gun will shine, and Flitz leaves a film that protects your bluing from fingerprints. You can get it at any gun show, and I think GM and Academy carry it.

· Registered
5,413 Posts
Get some FLITZ polish, and you'll throw rocks at steel wool. Use a soft cotton rag and a little elbow grease. The gun will shine, and Flitz leaves a film that protects your bluing from fingerprints. You can get it at any gun show, and I think GM and Academy carry it.
Yup, Flitz is good stuff. I've also seen it in O'Reilly's and Auto Zone.

· Premium Member
11,478 Posts
We use 0000 steel wool to clean parts of museum guns, we just don't rub very hard or long.

I blued the blades of my Old Timer knife, and I've scrubbed the whoopie out of it over the years with 0000. It takes some effort to wear the bluing away, but you can do it if not careful.

Another trick to get rid of rust stains and minor pits is DuPont Chrome polish (check auto parts stores). Dont' rub it in, just daub it on and let it sit for a while, then gently wipe it off. If that don't work rub GENTLY with a soft cloth. We used that stuff in a machine shop I worked at to get rust off of machine tool bits, it worked a treat.

· Registered
63 Posts
Simichrome polish made in germany. It is a paste like flitz but alot better. Will make any metal,knife handles, etc look like new. It also leaves protective film. Very good on surface rust on your blued firearms, takes scratches out of stainless,brass copper,& alluminum or anything else you use it on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.