Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hunting archery for about 5 years now and have always used a wrist strap index trigger release. After shooting with my father i found that i tend to punch the trigger quite alot, at first i never noticed because my release is set up as a hair trigger release so i actually shoot quite well with it.

Knowing i can do better by taking that motion out of it i would like to switch to a Thumb release but there are so options to choose from im not sure where to start looking. Unfortunately i do not have a proshop nearby that readily lets you demo releases/accesories before purchase and none of my friends shoot one.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

I dont exactly want to switch to a hinge release because I hunt more than I target/3d shoot and ive heard its difficult to hunt with a hinge.

Looking for a release in that $100 range that i could learn proper backtension with that may be forgiving for a first time user. So far i have looked into Stans ( i like them because they have the practice mode) but there are so many models i cant tell which are good for hunting or more for target archery.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Carter Chocolate Addiction 4 finger. Been shooting it for a long time. There high but you get what you pay for. X2 on getting a release trainer. It helps. Piece of string works also.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Chocolate light great release I have one, but better suited for shooters with large hands.
I also have a BOSS X but its a little loud.
Stan SX3 is fully adjustable and quieter than the above!!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I got big hands so why I like the 4 finger. I got a Scott Pro Advantage hinge. I have to hold it with tips of my fingers. But thumb releases are not the cure for punching. It helps if done right. Just bought a Spott Hogg Wise Guy. Smooth. You can pull through like it’s supposed to be done. My advice shoot 1 arrow. Take your time. Slinging arrows has lead to more trigger punching than anything. I used to! Not no more. Lol. Sorry for long post.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Stan handles are fully adjustable
When choosing a Stanislawski it’s best if you try a few before buying because some of the releases run a little small!!
I do know that archers advantage has a couple different ones in their shop.
They are pricey but having adjustability is a plus!! Again you tube has great videos to guide you thru the set up process!!

·
Member-2018 Spring Team Turkey Contest Winner
6,928 Posts
I liked my tru ball thumb release.

Have u tried the tru fire panic X wrist release? You can switch it from a setting similar to what you have or flip the switch so you actually have to pull through your shot, if you "punch" it wont go off.

Im having target panic issues, im defiantly changing sights but considering changing releases as well

·
Member-2018 Spring Team Turkey Contest Winner
6,928 Posts
I know I fight it too, but I ended up changing sights, and it helped me for what my goals are.
I have more issues than just the target panic, bad back, bad shoulder, and bad eyes I'm getting old in general
Lol. I think these thing has led to my target panic

I had to remove my peep sight and go with a kisser button and I use that EZV sight which I have a post about.

I'm not real sure what my issue is, I can make a circle with a thumb and finger, look through it and what ever I look at is blurry, AR15 style or ghost ring type sights on a long gun, same thing targets get blurry when I look through them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.