how safe is the barnett quad 400

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by caspercaesar, Jan 3, 2011.

1. caspercaesar

caspercaesar Member

ne ar
    Is it safe to cock this x-bow,then pull it up to me in my treestand,(without a bolt of course:smack:)???? Or do most hunters use a ground blind??i got this for Chistmas havent hunted with it yet,its quick,coulnt imagine what would happen if fingers were to get caught in the path of the string..

2. possum

possum Moderator<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner<b

If possible I would wait and cock it after I got it up.

3. Damascus-Doug

Damascus-Doug Well-Known Member

x2

4. I usually wait to cock mine until I get up in my stand. Safer that way. It doesn't make much more noise than getting yourself arranged in your stand when you first get there anyway. It's nice where I hunt, sometimes I take my bow in a day or so before along with my supplies, that way, I get up in my stand and sit down, ready to go. I know this isn't possible with a lot of people, but it's awful handy for me hunting "off the beaten path" around HSB.

5. possum

I missed this part of your post. She may not like the attention being brought back to it, but ask bett_lou about. :eek:

I'll do a search and see it I can find the thread.

6. possum

7. caspercaesar

caspercaesar Member

ne ar
    THANX POSSUM,I SEEN BETT LOUS POST,AWFUL THING THAT HAPPENED TO HER,MY SON AND I ARE HEADED TO FORT CHAFFE THIS WEEKEND WE JUS GOT DONE SCOUTING AROUND TODAY..I WANTED BOTH OF US TO GET INTO ARCHERY JUST BECAUSE THERE IS SO MUCH MORE OF A SEASON THAN MODERN GUN..AFTER READING THAT WERE GONNA PUT MY SON A COMPOUND BOW ON LAY-A-WAY FOR NEXT SEASON,IM SURE BARNETT,PARKER AND ALL THE BIG NAME COMPANYS THAT MAKE CROSS BOWS DO MAKE A SAFE PRODUCT,AS I WILL BE USING THIS QUAD 400 FOR A MANY SEASONS (HOPEFULLY:cool:),I JUST DO NOT WANT MY 15 YEAR OLD TO MAKE A MISTAKE WITH SUCH A DEVASTSATING WEAPON.......

8. fisherman505

fisherman505 Well-Known Member

I've been using my crossbow for 18 years and always from a climbing stand. I always leave it uncocked until I am seated in my stand. It's easy enough at that point to put my foot in the stirrup and pull it back and cock it. When you cock yours, it should turn the safety on or at least that's what happens to mine, which is a Horton.

Anyway, if I was in some type of elevated stand which had a small platform and I had to stand up to cock the crossbow, I'd probably cock it on the ground and then pull it up to the stand on a lanyard. I think that would be safer than losing my center of gravity by bending over and trying to cock the crossbow.

However you do it, be sure to have a good grip on the string so you can get it back and cocked in one pull. The last thing you want to do is get jerked around by the thing while you're 20-feet up a tree.

Best of luck hunting Fort Chaffe.

Cheers.....

9. Martin Man1

Martin Man1 Well-Known Member

I know of 2 people who have fallen from stands trying to cock their crossbow. One had already put his safety belt on so he didn’t fall far, but his bow hit the ground and exploded. The other fellow was trying to cock his bow. When he pulled the string up to cock it didn’t quit make it. It pulled him back down; he lost his balance and actually jumped out before tumbling out head first. Results broken ankle. I cock mine first then pull it up. “NO BOLT IN IT OF COURSE”. I feel the safety issues of trying to cock one 20+ ft in the air out weigh the safety issues of pulling one up to you. You pull a compound, recrurve, or your fire arm up “UNLOADED OF COURSE” after you get in your stand. Just my 2cents.
    Not to bash your Quad 4. But did you look at any reviews on it. Lot’s of negative stuff out there about limbs cracking / breaking on them. My cousin had one. He had to replace the limbs after no more than 40 or so shots. He started looking at the reviews and found there were more neg than pos on them. That was a few years back though. Hopefully they have addressed that issue with the newer models
    Good Luck.

10. Nuge Fan

Nuge Fan Well-Known Member

I would cock it, then pull it up

11. smoked hog

smoked hog Well-Known Member

NE AR
    I always cock on the ground first. I'm often 25+ feet up and don't want to worry about losing my balance. Just be aware of hand placement and you should be fine.