How often?

Discussion in 'General Hunting Topics' started by whiteoak, Jan 7, 2008.

1. whiteoak

whiteoak Well-Known Member

How often due you shoot your deer rifle?
    How many rounds and at what distance?
    What is the longest shots you have on your stand?

2. possum

possum Moderator<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner<b

I shoot mine once or twice a month pretty much year round.

Usually 5 rounds each @ 100 yards testing new loads but I will occasionally shoot longer distances.

Not that I'd actually try this shoot but there is one spot I can right at 850 yards but other than right down the fence row I can see a minimum of 250 pretty much any direction I look.

3. BuzzBait

BuzzBait Well-Known Member

not counting shooting a few times during the season[make sure scope was not bumped]we shoot every other month or so. we shoot 100-300 yards. longest shot have ever made was 260.

4. Arkie_3_fan

Arkie_3_fan Well-Known Member

I didn't shoot mine at all this year. Ended up hunting with my Dad's rifle and ML the whole season.
    Hopefully next year I'll be toting a new rifle to the woods.

5. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
    I probably put about 1-2 boxes of shells through my 30/06. I'll take it to the range with me, but bc of recoil and $, I like to only shoot it 5-10 times. Then I'll do a lot of shooting with my 22, 223, and SKS.
    Most places I like to deer hunt, my longest shot should be about 50 yds. You never know though... Shot my buck in KY this year walking out at about 100-125 yds off hand.

6. jerry dean

jerry dean Suspended Permanently

I shoot 3 shots the week before season at a paper plate with a black dot the size of the top of a coke can in the middle of it @ 50 yards.

My longest available shot from most of my stands will average close to 50 yards or so.

I haven't shot at a deer at over 30 yards in 9 or 10 years. Fartherest I've ever shot at a deer was about 100 yards.

7. whiteoak

whiteoak Well-Known Member

Most of my shots are in bow range.I know I need to shoot more at 100 + yards,and to shoot more often.I was just wondering what everybody else does.

8. fish

fish Well-Known Member

I usually shoot my 30.06 less than a box of shells each year with most at the range. I shoot about 1/2 box at 100 yd target and have shot 200 yd targets sometimes. Don't need many most years to limit out even when using doe tags. I seldom shoot over 75 yards unless hunting the powerline. Seldom ever shoot over 250 yds then.
    I HUNT ALOT OF SQIRRELS WITH A SMALL SCOPED RIFLE BEFORE DEER SEASON TO HONE MY SHOOTING SKILLS.:thumb:

9. 7mm-08

7mm-08 Well-Known Member

I dont shoot near enough.

I shoot a box or so a year.

I killed a doe this year at 279 yards, that is my longest kill.

10. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator

NE Ark
    I shoot all my rifles a lot, specially the 308's. I just enjoy shooting rifles.

The longest our local range goes is 100 yards. The AGFC range at Paragould goes out to 200 yards, and I shoot up there a few times a year. Our field is 800 yards long and 175 yards wide and mostly flat. I am thinking about making a few trips up there this fall and shooting 300 or more.

The longest shot is ~600 one direction and ~200 the other. No way I'd hurl a bullet at a deer anywhere near 600 though.

11. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

I shoot to sight in and check my rifles. One or 2 shots if they group tight at 100 yards. My longest shot was 325 yards a few years ago. Depending on where I hunt Most of my shots will be about 60 yards. I do hunt a couple of places where you could see 400. I do a lot of sqiirrel hunting with a scoped 22
    for shooting practice.

12. Matt_W

Matt_W Well-Known Member

I try to shoot my deer rifle every week during the spring and summer, about 20 or 30 rounds at a time. I can't count how many pistol, .22LR and 12ga rounds I shoot a week!

I practice 100-300 yards, this year I plan on really stretching it out to 400-600.

On the stand, I hunt pipelines a lot, so as far as I can see, but I usually cap myself at 350 or so.

13. Sylamore

Sylamore Super Moderator Staff Member

Won't be as much as in the past because the price of reloading components has doubled. :thumb:

14. sam

sam Grand Member<br>2007 Photo Contest Winner<br>

We ( me, Monsterman, Razorbuck and a few others) don't shoot too much till about the middle of summer, then we shoot every other weelk or so, up until about 6 weeks before deer season then we try to shoot every week at ranges from 50 yards to 400 yards. The 50 to 200 yards are serious, over that is for fun. We've got the materials sit'n in the barn to build a shooting building, about 8 X 10 with a bench and storage for rests, bags and such. It will over look a field that we can shoot up to 500 yards in. We get that put up this spring and we plan on shoot'n a lot more.

There are several stands on the farms where you can see up to 800 yards, furtherest I've ever killed a deer is 350 yards; coyote 440yds, across a 40 acre field.

How much do we shoot at a time? As much as I can get Monsterman to reload, I gave him all my reload'n stuff.

15. I normally don't shoot my '06 till August, then will practice with it & fine tune till season.....then check it periodically.

My longest shot from my stand is about 140 yds., which I'm confident with.

I practice at 100 & 200 yds., tho I've still got my 300 & 400 yd. targets up which I will shoot before taking them down.

I shoot my scoped .22's a LOT during the year.