How much should I offer?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by wildbill34a, Nov 28, 2012.

1. wildbill34a

wildbill34a Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has a bare mattews monster mr5 he is wanting to sell so he can get the mr6. What is a reasonable price to pay? The bow is at least 2 years but hasn't been used much not sure what I'm getting into if I offer to buy it.

2. I'd say $500-$600 but I'm not a big fan of the monster anyway. Too top heavy for me.

3. JohnnieWalker

JohnnieWalker Well-Known Member

Offer him $400. You'll see how bad he wants that mr6 :thumb:

4. Nuge Fan

Nuge Fan Well-Known Member

Save your money. Just my opinion

5. wildbill34a

What are the things that aren't so appealing about this bow?

6. 1/4ing away

1/4ing away Well-Known Member

I wouldn't let other people's opinion sway your decision. If you like the bow, shoot it well, and like shooting it...it doesn't matter. Bows are like wives...some men have one that nobody else may want but they're perfectly happy. That bow that nobody else wants may make you very happy!
    Now...I don't want a monster because it's two cam. I don't want Hoyt or Bowtech because they're binary systems. I shoot a Z7 because I am more confident in my ability to shoot a one cam.

7. Nuge Fan

Nuge Fan Well-Known Member

5" brace height, aggressive draw, sacrifices shootability for speed. Not a bow you want to shoot a bunch in the yard. My z7 extreme has an ibo speed 30fps slower but still plenty fast, has a smooth draw and over a 7" brace height. I'm no longer a fan of dual cams either, if they are not perfectly in time, the bow will try to jump out of your hand

8. The Iceman

The Iceman Member<br>2012-13 Bowhunting Contest Winner

Pretty sure bill, yer talking about my mr 5.... I would still have it if i didn't need money at the time. Love the bow. It shot an acc 340 at 29/72lbs --- 324 fps. Very flat shootn, but you must aim, and squeeze!!!!

9. smokey1

smokey1 Well-Known Member

Just asking have you ever shot an MR5. I have one and it is smoother drawing than the drenalin i had before it and i shoot it better and the drenalin has a 7 inch brace height. I can shoot it all day and IMO the whole brace height theory holds no water with me, its just a theory never has been proven that a higher brace height make the bow shoot better. If that was the case i should have been lights out with the drenalin and i couldn't shoot it any better. Its all about how a bow fits the shooter. With all of that said, wildbill34a if you like the bow buy it, i would offer about 450.00. I gave 700 for mine and its been a great bow for me.

10. wildbill34a

Well I held and shot it last night and I think its to much bow for me and my limited experience. He already got the mr6 and has been hunting with it they are sweet bows though. On another note, another friend of ours brought over a barely used bowtech assassin that really seams like a nice bow. Do any of you guys have any experience with these?

11. BullDog

BullDog Well-Known Member

Save your money and buy a Hoyt:biggrin:

12. x2

13. 1/4ing away

1/4ing away Well-Known Member

This is why YOU have to go out and shoot these bows and see how YOU like them. I have shot Hoyt, Bowtech, Elite, PSE, Mathews, Martin, and Bear. Of those, I like Mathews the best and shoot it the best. I could care less if it's the most popular or what others think.
    Go spend a day shooting these side by side and you will get a better feel or what you like.
    You mentioned "limited experience" so I would stick with a bow that's 32" axle to axle (or longer) and a 7-7.5" brace height.
    Personally you can't go "wrong" with any of the best bows from the reputable manufacturers, but you will like one the best.

14. wildbill34a

Alright. Thanks for the info guys.