Arkansas Hunting banner

How Much Scouting Do You Do?

• I run out on opening morning and follow the gunshots.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I put in about 1 to 2 days in the woods before the season.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I spend about a week's worth of time in the woods before the hunt.

Votes: 26 36.1%
  • I spend close to a month in the woods and know all the ticks by name.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I should own stock in Cuddeback.

Votes: 14 19.4%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Most of the areas I hunt are the same areas I have been hunting for close to 15 yrs. I usually go out and see if any thing has changed much and can usually do this in a weeks time. I dove and rat hunt so I scout a little while I'm doing that also. I rat hunt new areas that I think I might want to deer hunt so I can kill 2 birds with one stone and get something to put in the dumplings also.:thumb:

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
Most of the areas I hunt are the same areas I have been hunting for close to 15 yrs. I usually go out and see if any thing has changed much and can usually do this in a weeks time. I dove and rat hunt so I scout a little while I'm doing that also. I rat hunt new areas that I think I might want to deer hunt so I can kill 2 birds with one stone and get something to put in the dumplings also.:thumb:
Exactly :up:

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Ditto..and use Trail cams...since it is 125 miles one way........

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I hunt close to the house. Sometimes from the house if the weather is too bad. I am in the woods so much I don't contaminate my spots. The deer are all used to me by now.
DITTO + 1 I live with the Deer and they know me by sound and come running to say Hi...........:clap::fit::fit:...and asks if I have any treats...........:razz:

·
Registered
227 Posts
I start the end of August placing cams, and finding food sources. I spend alot of time in the WMAs I plan on hunting, I drive around alot checking fields in the evening. We just had a new baby the 27th, so I'm getting a late start this year.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I scout more than I hunt...I'd rather spend 1 day in the right tree than 2 weeks in the wrong one. I never stop scouting whether I am turkey hunting in the spring or squirrel hunting in late Febuary I am always looking for sign..

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
There are places that I go that the patterns very seldom change form year to year. I have learned that during different times of the season deer will be in one spot and the next month they are moving in a different spot. But that comes from years hunting the same spots time after time. So I put about a week. Plus while squirrel hunting I keep a sharp eye out while I out and helps with the whole picture.:up:

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Since I get to hunt around where I live,I scout and never leave my truck,when I know where I been seeing deer I'll put out a camera and take a closer look.I've hunted most of these spots for years and they keep on producing,lots of private land around with little or no pressure.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.