Arkansas Hunting banner

How much meat from a hog?

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  ochiba 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

I'm new to the board - howdy. I'm from North Carolina, but lived in Arkansas for a while and will be coming back this summer, hopefully for some hog hunting. But I've never been before - am a total newbie. Not only do I not know where to hunt yet (I'm thinking George Riggin's ranch near Carthage), but I don't know how much meat I'll get from a hog.

So, say I kill a 150 pounder, about how much meat - nicely cut - is going in the cooler for the 800 mile trip back home?

And if you have any suggestions for places to hunt south of Little Rock (within 100 miles or so), love to hear them.

Bear

#2 ·
George Houston is a purty good ole feller. His place is right on the river bottoms.....it likely makes him happy to see a hog bite the duss:thumb: How much meat? Depends on who's doin the cuttin and what that rascal has been eating the most....if the answer is corn, and the guy cutting saves some fat....well; the more the merrier!:thumb:

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum bear2000!

To answer your question; it depends on how much of the hog you try to save. In general I would expect to get about 75 lbs of meat or slightly less out of a 150 lb hog. Otherwise you are looking at Hogs Head cheese, picked pigs feet, and chitlin's and pork rinds, etc. :thumb:

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum bear2000!

To answer your question; it depends on how much of the hog you try to save. In general I would expect to get about 75 lbs of meat or slightly less out of a 150 lb hog. Otherwise you are looking at Hogs Head cheese, picked pigs feet, and chitlin's and pork rinds, etc. :thumb:
Shoooooooooooowie, cap'n; you been hangin out south of the border:thumb:

#6 ·
I killed a 150# pig this past weekend (Weighed it, no guess). I kept the front shoulders, hams (boned out), ribs, some neck meat and the chops. Not much left that I want to eat. The hams were about 10# each and the front shoulders about the same (bone in). I figure I had maybe 60# once it was clean and put away. It had about 1" of fat on it which I cut off most of. I think the hide and head weighed more than the meat I cut off. That corn eating rascal was fat. The weather is getting right for some hog killing.

#8 ·
I killed a 150# pig this past weekend (Weighed it, no guess). I kept the front shoulders, hams (boned out), ribs, some neck meat and the chops. Not much left that I want to eat. The hams were about 10# each and the front shoulders about the same (bone in). I figure I had maybe 60# once it was clean and put away. It had about 1" of fat on it which I cut off most of. I think the hide and head weighed more than the meat I cut off. That corn eating rascal was fat. The weather is getting right for some hog killing.

Tony....were you up at your club in cleveland county? I hog hunted friday at our lease and got into a wad of them. We have had more hogs killed this year than in years past, they keep multiplying like rabbits.

#9 ·
Tony....were you up at your club in cleveland county? I hog hunted friday at our lease and got into a wad of them. We have had more hogs killed this year than in years past, they keep multiplying like rabbits.
Any of them coming out in daylight hours? Can you have any guests on your lease? My boss and I are looking to find some place we can kill a couple hogs.....

#12 ·
Yeah we were down this weekend. These were the first two pigs I have seen in daylight in a while. It actually was not really daylight when the one I shot died. I was walking in to do some predator calling and saw them about 6:35am, nothing but moonlight as it were. We hear them often but they stay out of sight mostly. With the colder weather they will get out more.

#13 ·
Thanks fellas...

...for the information. Looks like I'll be heading to Cathage in June. Now I'll have some idea of what size cooler to bring.

You wouldn't know of any butchers nearby who'd really slice it up good and maybe even shrink/vacuum seal the cuts would you?

#14 ·
On small hogs less than 200 lbs. a good estimate of meat yield is approximately 30% of live weight, that is - shoulders, hams, and backstrap only. Take the biggest cooler, you may kill more than one hog. If I were you, I would transport the meat back home to NC; I'd drain the cooler of blood and water and keep adding ice along the way. Have your hog processed locally when you get home. Good luck -

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.