Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'm in the presence of some of the greatest duck hunter's in the world! If you don't believe me, just ask em'.

How many banded duck have you taken and where were they from?

4 - banded

1 - Double band w/ $100 band

2 -from Saskatchawan(sp) Canada

1 - from North Dakota

1 - from South Dakota

1 - from Manatoba, Canada

·
Administrator
90,713 Posts
I have killed 2 with bands. Both were killed on Big Lake WMA.

A drake Mallard was banded a couple of years before I killed it in Saskatchewan.

A hen Woody was banded 7 years earlier on Big Lake.

·
Premium Member
21,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have killed 2 with bands. Both were killed on Big Lake WMA.

A drake Mallard was banded a couple of years before I killed it in Saskatchewan.

A hen Woody was banded 7 years earlier on Big Lake.
WOW!!! My buddy killed a banded Black Duck(2005) that had been banned in 87 or earlier!( that's what it state's on the certificate)

By the way, I'm a resident of the Goobertown Metropolitan Area!:thumb::thumb:

·
Moderator<br>Help Forum<br>
792 Posts
I've heard all this talk about banded ducks but have no idea what the purpose of it is. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Considering I grew up close to the Black River, Big Lake, and spent a lot of time around Stuttgart, I am ashamed to admit this fact. haha

·
Premium Member
21,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've heard all this talk about banded ducks but have no idea what the purpose of it is. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Considering I grew up close to the Black River, Big Lake, and spent a lot of time around Stuttgart, I am ashamed to admit this fact. haha
This gives the federal and state goverment wildlife agency's travel info. Also, they can determine how long the life span of a banded duck. The number's aren't exact, however, they retain a lot of info. with them. Harvesting a 'banded' duck is like the holy grail of duckhunting. Arkansas and Mississippi have started putting " transmittor's(sp)" on duck's that you can follow from the nesting grounds all the way to their migration spot's for the winter, via the AGFC web site, they name them also.

·
Banned
385 Posts
I've killed 9......all from Saskatchewan except for the one in the attached picture, it was banded in N. Dakota.

When I shot it I didn't know what the hell it was. I thought it was some jack leg private band or something until I saw the fed phone number to call it in.

Come to find out it is a band they put on ducklings when they are still on the nest. It has a soft plastic type filler that erodes away as the duck gets older.

When I got the certificate back it even said "UNKNOWN" in the portion of the cert that list the sex of the duck because they all look the same at that age.

·
Premium Member
21,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So what do you do when you take one? Send the bands to the AGFC?
There is a toll free # on the band itself, you just call the number and give them the information that they ask you for.( Date harvested and where) You keep the band and put it around your laynard or whatever.

In return, they will send you a certificate of appreciation with all the gathered data for that specific duck

·
Moderator<br>Help Forum<br>
792 Posts
There is a toll free # on the band itself, you just call the number and give them the information that they ask you for.( Date harvested and where) You keep the band and put it around your laynard or whatever.

In return, they will send you a certificate od appreciation with all the gathered data for that specific duck
Ahhh Nice.

I'd love to try duck hunting just once. I've heard you either become addicted or swear to all things holy that you'll never go again. :fit:

·
Premium Member
21,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've killed 9......all from Saskatchewan except for the one in the attached picture, it was banded in N. Dakota.

When I shot it I didn't know what the hell it was. I thought it was some jack leg private band or something until I saw the fed phone number to call it in.

Come to find out it is a band they put on ducklings when they are still on the nest. It has a soft plastic type filler that erodes away as the duck gets older.

When I got the certificate back it even said "UNKNOWN" in the portion of the cert that list the sex of the duck because they all look the same at that age.
Haven't got one of those yet. I went for 15+ years before I finally got one...lol...then i got 3 in one year!!!!

·
Banned
385 Posts
Haven't got one of those yet. I went for 15+ years before I finally got one...lol...then i got 3 in one year!!!!
Thats a good year:thumb:

The year I got that one in the picture I killed 3 banded ducks but one was a double with a 10 dollar reward that was expired:fit::fit:

One thing i have noticed over the years is if you kill one in an area you are liable to kill more in a short period of time because they have a tendancy to stick together.

I've killed 2 in consecutive weeks out of the same spot and have seen 2 killed on consecutive days on 2 different years from the same spot.

Also have a friend that killed 2 in the same day but was not there to see it so I told him it don't count. kinda like a hole-in-one........gotta have a witness.:skeptical:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ive killed two banded mallards, and one banded woody.

Mallards were both banded in North Dakota. The woody was banded in Missouri and had the same band that was pictured above. (Very hard to add to your lanyard by the way)

I also lay claim to a greenhead I killed several years ago in a field just outside of Gillett that was banded by a private club that caters to corporate hunters and catch and release ducks. I was hunting approx. 10 miles from the club. Was really excited once I picked up the duck only to realize that the duck was banded locally.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I also lay claim to a greenhead I killed several years ago in a field just outside of Gillett that was banded by a private club that caters to corporate hunters and catch and release ducks. I was hunting approx. 10 miles from the club. Was really excited once I picked up the duck only to realize that the duck was banded locally.
That might have been one of Manybeards ducks that fed up was talking about a few weeks back...:biggrin:

What happened to fed up?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I have killed 16. All mallards except 1 snow goose and 1 speck with a collar. One was double banded with a $100.00 reward. Still have the check.

They have come from all over.

Some of them are old "AVISE" bands a few are "CALL 1-800" and the rest are "WRITE TO:" bands. I should have more, but I never win the coin toss unless its with my brother.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Three greenheads, all from Canada.

One greenwing, also from Canada.

One Canada goose, banded and killed in Missouri.

Also killed a hooded merganser that had a small metal tag in its foot. Looked kind of like a large staple. Has anyone else seen one of these?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.