Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
That's an easy one for me....zero, come to think about it I can't even remember that time I even seen a rabbit. :eek:

·
Registered
10,474 Posts
I saw 3 or 4 this year before daylight. I'm more excited when I kill a rabbit than a deer. I probably shouldn't shoot them anymore they are a rare species in Randolph county. For the last several years I see more 8 points and big Toms every year than rabbits.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think rabbits are making a come back but there still aren't healthy numbers of them anywhere. In the late 1970's driving along hwy 70 between Palestine and Brinkley, it was nothing to see 20 or 30 of them along that 20 mile stretch especially just after dark. Now you are lucky to see even 1.

Lots of folks think increasing coyote populations are to blame. A friend of mine, Keith Sutton, had a seminar on rabbit hunting at EACC in Forrest City a year or two ago. (Keith by the way is a wildlife biologists, as well as a noted author and lecturer.) He says that surprisingly, rabbit numbers swing more with bobcat populations then coyotes. Who knows? I reckin it's a combination of things myself. Habitat loss probably has a lot to do with it. Farmers like to keep nice neat fields. There aren't the kind of grown up old house places and fence rows like there used to be and that's what rabbits always seemed to hang out in.

In any event, I just don't see rabbits around like I used to. :dontknow:

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
i rarely hunt them, but always see them in our food plots. Did not see many this year either. Quite a few coyote turds held the remains of them, so i figure thats what is reducing our population

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
i rarely hunt them, but always see them in our food plots. Did not see many this year either. Quite a few coyote turds held the remains of them, so i figure thats what is reducing our population
DING-DING-DING....I believe we have a winner, or at least I think that's the problem around here.

·
Administrator
41,031 Posts
We ended up killing 64 last season but I rabbit hunted quite a bit.

I went by myself alot or the number would probably be higher. I was more interested in training dogs and watching them than shooting plus its hard to get in position sometimes when youre by yourself.

It wasnt a bad season but I wouldnt really call it a good one either or at least not compared to how it was when I was younger and rabbits seemed to be everywhere.

I think coyotes and bobcats are hurting the population but I also blame foxes and hawks and owls. I see more hawks on the side of the road now than I ever remember seeing and they aint all eatin' mice.

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
I'm guessing it's been 10 ~ 15 years since I've killed a rabbit. When I was a kid growing up around Stuttgart in the 70's and 80's we could go walk the railroad tracks and kill a mess anytime we wanted to.....now I can't remember the last time I saw a rabbit in our old stompin' grounds.

I agree with Freddie, I think the hawks are doing more to wipe out the rabbit population that anything else. Seems like there's a hawk on every other power pole around Stuttgart in the winter time.

.270Win

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
I killed one. Ran over him with the car. It is so sad. I havent truly hunted them in years. The last several years around here they have been kinda scarce.

·
Banned
1,858 Posts
probably shouldn't shoot them anymore they are a rare species in Randolph county
I was gonna say I see quite a few here in randolph county. I know a few spots where there is a good population of rabbits, I usually kill a few every year but this year I didn't even go once:frown:

I do know that the last several years I have seen many more than I used too, but I still wouldn't consider them making a comeback like I hear they used to be.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts