Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you trout fisherman. How many fish do you catch on an average day? What's your record for most fish? I've heard some gaudy numbers from people and wanna see if its true. Truth PLEASE.

·
Registered
253 Posts
fly fishing? power bait?

it makes a difference. the most I have ever caught/seen caught was with my uncle in the buffalo river. we went up into it from the white as far as we could until we were tired and floated back down. I know we caught over a hundred trout that day as well as smallmouth and ozark bass. caught them all on rooster tails, rapalas and soft plastics. it was definitely a special trip. not another fisherman on that stretch. you could only have a 10hp or less motor up there.

normally fishing with my dad or uncle we catch 40+\- on powerbait and significantly fewer on spinners and such.

·
Registered
21,929 Posts
on the White on a good day .... 10 per hour ? and I use bigger lures - #4 Blue Fox, crankbaits etc

with corn/worms good gawd no telling how many of those stockers !!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Where can you find trout in the buffalo? I guess I've never heard of anyone trout fishing the buffalo river until now. I know if holds some good smallies.

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Two guys- 4 hours usually catch between 25-50 depending on day. I haven't been up there in a couple years- used to go half dozen times per year

·
Registered
21,929 Posts
the trout go up into the Buffalo for miles - in the wintertime more so than the summer time. I think its probably more oxygenated water, maybe it has something to do with spawning I dunno ? but they're there, have been for a long time

·
Member<br>The Member Formerly Known as Passthrough
7,658 Posts
Last spring 2 of us were consistently catching 80-100 in four hours. I've got about 75 myself before in a day. Eventually you get sick of catching them

·
Super Moderator
7,070 Posts
Several years ago before they slowed the stocking it was common to catch over 100 in 4hours of fishing. I think I read they now stock at a rate of 1 to 2 fish per hour for the average fisher. I have noticed the last few years there are not as many trout in the rivers.

·
Registered
10,050 Posts
When I was a kid I was fishing with an older man and I know we caught 68 in 2 hours. I usually fish with a bass rod for big ones. I usually catch 10 or 15 in 2 or 3 hours.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
An old guy who introduced me to trout on the Little Red one sunny May afternoon...in 3 hours my arms were dead tired of catching fish. How many? I couldn't say. Well over 100 once I got the hang of it.

I have never had so much fun fishing in my entire life. Well except that one day I took my dad trout fishing. I think I got 9 or 10, and he got one. With his lack of eyesight, it didn't matter if it was 1 or 100.

The White, LOL...the first FOUR times I went, didn't catch a single fish. Went next spring after a winter break, hired a guide, and we got I think 18 that day (1/2 day). Then a few weeks later I went by myself and limited out in probably no more than 10 minutes. Picked up the GF at the ramp and went back upriver to show her how I got 'em, and then she get 5 of them in 30 minutes. We went home & ate trout. Our outing did not last long enough, but we accomplished what we set out to do-catch dinner. Ever since then, I've always done fairly well each time. I don't fish hard though. Just relax. Most of the time you'll find me sitting in the boat just kicked back enjoying the quiet.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I fish the White 2 or 3 times a week. I have had those magic days of 50-100 fish a day but they are rare. It depends on a lot of things but if I'm fishing stockers for dinner I usually get my limit in an hour or so. I think 5-10 fish an hour if you stay on active fish is realistic.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Rainbows or Browns? You can drag power bait Carolina rigged and some days we have caught well over 100 each. then there has been that rare day when fish were not biting.. My friend and I have caught as many as 120 browns in a day each. He took a man and his friend out and they had 123 browns in four and half hours with six units on. He like a #6 crappie hook, two *********** Bait and one Red for bows. It works very well. Jerk baits for browns. I mean really big jerk baits. Rogues!!

·
Super Member<br>2013-14 Bow Hunting Contest Winner
1,266 Posts
50 to seventy five normally if it is just me and the guys. When it's the wife and kids, we just get our limits and leave.....the young uns will wear you out catching fish so fast, keeping untangled, and baiting up every few minutes.

·
Registered
455 Posts
ive seen 600 fish caught in 2 days by 7 guys. call me a liar if u want 2. we did it where the norfork river meets the white. feb 2013 :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts