Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how many of you guys take your kids or just kids hunting? The day before Thanksgiving I was at my folks house and my 6 y/o nephew was there and I was talking to dad about hunting the next day. Out of no where my nephew said he wanted to go with me. So I agreed and told him I would pick him up at 0415 in the morning. Before I went home I told my parents I would call in the morning to make sure he still wanted to go, I called and dad said that my nephew was up at 0330 and was sitting on the couch wondering when I would be there. I finally got there and we loaded up. My nephew doesn't actually have a real gun yet but I am fixin to change that, so he took his daisy bb gun. We got to our cabin and got in the woods we got to our stand and waited for the sun to come up. I have never had a kid hunting with me so of course I figured we wouldn't be in the woods long. Around 0745 we had a doe come with in about 30yds. trying to keep a six y/o still was alittle challenging but the doe just walked off. 30 mins. later another doe came in and she was about 5yds. away my nephew stayed as still as he could and the doe walked off also. After she walked off she he said the funniest thing he looked at me and with a straight face he said boy she had a real white butt. :fit: Since that day he calls about every weekend or so and asks when we are going to the woods again. We have been many times since and he is really looking forward to going turkey hunting with me. I find it so fulfilling to know that I have helped bring another hunter into our future and I am looking forward to him getting his first kill. :cross: Now I think he has just about everyting he needs to hunt. I have got him calls and camo and orange but I still haven't found a youth gun that I think would work for him.

·
Registered
11,766 Posts
My oldest wil be 18 in June and He has been going since he was potty trained......thats how we got him that way.

I have taken other kids and I think that is a great thing to do.

They have to be exposed to catch the disease!:thumb:

·
Grand Member<br>2007 Bowhunting Contest Team Winne
3,276 Posts
Been taking mine since they were old enough to walk.I have 1 girl 15 1 11 and a boy 10 The 2 youngest love the woods and hunting.I spend all of gun season taking them hunting.My boy loves shooting a bow.Ive taking him to a few bow shoots.He just won first place in one and second in another.My oldest likes it but is just to busy with other interest.

·
3,605 Posts
I took my son hunting and now he takes me. (he is 21)
My son was an Arkansas 3D champion and a world championship qualifier in Archery
He placed third one year in the Bowhunter magazine youth essay contest. (yes, I'm proud!)

I take my daughter now (she is 12) and she loves it!

I took my nephews when they were young (they are all over 30 now)

My nephews bring thier kids along on the youth hunts now and we have a BIG time at camp.

We have a youth turkey hunt with 5 of my nephews and thier kids and and 5 or 6 of thier friends kids. The kids look forward to the youth hunts all year!

My kids are both ethical and honest hunters and I'm very proud of that!

Take a kid hunting!

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
I have carried younger cousins, friends younger brothers/sisters/cousins, and my nephew for many years now and get just as excited as they do when they experience gods country. It's a good feeling....take a young one with you and also remember it doesn't have to be youth season to do so.:thumb:

·
Registered
7,898 Posts
i take both my kids. my girl is 10, but she just dont have that killer instinct yet.:rolleyes: i put 4 jakes 15 yards in front of her, she didnt shoot. also saw 5 bucks, 3 over the 3pt rule, on the youth deer hunt, no shot. but, she loves being out there. Ryno on the other hand, he fired off the .25WSSM last years at 5 y/o. i am taking him on the youth turkey hunt this year, and he is pumped up! my pop started taking me at about 6 or 7, and i started taking mine while they were still in diapers. BG12

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I have 3 children, 2 boys and a girl. The boys are 14 and 12. They can take it or leave it. They have both killed deer but 1 hates to sit there and the other just don't care one way or the other. My little girl, she is my woods rat. She loves to go. She killed a 8 point this year on her first trip to the stand.
It was really special because me and mom was together with her when she
killed her deer.

·
Registered
567 Posts
my oldest is soon to be 16 and the youngest is 10 they are both boy's and have been hunting and fishing since they where old enough to go with dad, about 4.:thumb: :thumb: i have i also bring a few off there friends when we go.... i think it is more of rush to c a kid take a deer are catch a fish than me .....:razz:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
My daughter is five and we have been in the woods together for the last two seasons. Best time I ever had. The look in their eyes is all worth the little annoyances. She loves to go fishing as well. Last year I went to gather up my stand, ladders, and feeders and took her and my wife with for family time. She just had to bring her daisy BB gun (the one I got at age 5). She proudly told me that she would cover the road while I went to get my stuff. Can not wait for this deer season. I have similar stories with other youths I have taken and shown the way.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I've hunted with all five of my daughters, some of their friends, and my nephew and neighbor kids.

I don't get to take any of them real often, but I'll take any that want to go.

I always try hardto make sure the weather is compatible with the age of the ones going... it's easier on everybody that way.

And not just hunting..... fishing is HUGE with kids and all of minespend more time shooting than hunting. Shooting keeps them occupied and busy and when they get tired we can call it without any muss-fuss or debate.

·
Member<br>2007 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner<br>2
6,257 Posts
My son is 6 years old. He went on a couple of hunts when he was five and saw what it was all about. This past season I took him a couple of times. He was able to take his first deer the second weekend of gun season. Can't even explain how excited both me and him were. He said his face was hruting because he couldn't quit smiling. :biggrin: Can't wait til next season when I get to take him a little more. Hopefully I can put him on a buck. A youth model .243 works just fine for a young hunter. He didn't even notice any kick, but did say something about how loud it was.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My oldest son went turkey hunting last year (he was 5), he did really good . Which shocked me ! This year he is so excited he asks me every day "daddy how much longer until we can go turkey hunting ? " I love to turkey hunt, and for me to be able to share that with my children is a huge blessing. I'm more excited about the youth hunt this year than the regular season. One thing I have learned and I know it is different with every child. But , he seems so much more mature. I know thats a big word for a 6 year old. It is a big difference for just 1 year. This year he got a youth vest and calls. To be honest I might let him do a little calling he 's sounding pretty good . I also bought him a youth model 20 gauge shot gun ,fits him great ! A little hard for him to hold steady, but a pair of shotting sticks took care of that. :wink:

·
Registered
9,620 Posts
I haven't taken a kid hunting in years, but my youngest, 27 now, is starting to take me regular:biggrin: It won't be long though, cause the Grandkids are gonna be getting old enough to go out with me:thumb:

Last year, 1 of our members took his son, 10, who has been hunting at camp since he could walk, and 1 of his friends, also 10, who's Dad had recently passed away from cancer, and the friend killed a doe...talk about one happy young man:thumb: He had the biggest grin i think I've ever seen on a youngster.....it was one of those Priceless moments!!!!!!!!!!!:thumb:

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
When mine gets to be a little older I'll probably take her, she's two now. I took her fishing for the first time this week and she caught a few and now she's hooked (pun intended). It made my day to see the smile on her face after catching that first fish. I put a couple of pics of her with her first two fish on the fishing forum.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Took my grand-daughter with me once, when she was about 3......took her blanket and pillow and she slept through it all. Now she goes with her Dad and killed her first deer this year, two in fact. When I asked her was she nervous when she took the shot, she said she was a little, but didn't know if she was nervous or it was her cell phone vibrating.......... I was one proud Nana:biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Registered
21,163 Posts
I have taken my daughter over the years, she is 12, but I let her dictate when she wants to go. Last year she didn't go, due to all the things she has going with school. I hate to pressure her so I let her say when she wants to go. She has seen deer all her life and if I don't put her on a good buck she is not interested. So you know how hard it is to do that. She doesn't know what it takes to see a good buck, but I am looking at taking her on a guided hunt where maybe we can see a decent buck for her and us not have to work to hard for it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.