Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all,

Nothing ag'in the fellers what shoots the inlines, but how many flintlock shooters are still out there?

They seem ta be fairly rare over my way, in this part of NW Arkansas anyway...

Spot

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
You must have missed the blackpowder shoot in Berryville this spring. Flintknapper went.
Hey, I resemble that remark!

I've got a .54 Pedersoli Mortimer in flint, and I'm ordering a kit to build an early style Lancaster/Pennsylvania rifle in a few days, when I get all the details worked out. Rock locks are a challenge, but I'm slowly getting the bugs worked out of mine.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You must have missed the blackpowder shoot in Berryville this spring. Flintknapper went.
No sir, I didn't miss it, and I'll be there in September too.

That's a good shoot, lots of nice folks. It's mostly the same people every time, nothing wrong with that though, I guess. A lot of people from out of town and from out of state.

I live 35 or so miles south of Danny Caywood and 50 miles or so north and east of Suzie Biccio, so maybe I'm a little out of line in saying the flintlock shooters in this area are "really" rare. Maybe it just seems like it.:wink:

Hey you percussion shooters - I shoot percussion too, have a Hawken built from scrap parts and several T/C's, would be interested in hearing what others are shooting.

Hey flintknapper, what do you shoot an' whar ya be?

:biggrin:

Spot

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, I resemble that remark!

I've got a .54 Pedersoli Mortimer in flint, and I'm ordering a kit to build an early style Lancaster/Pennsylvania rifle in a few days, when I get all the details worked out. Rock locks are a challenge, but I'm slowly getting the bugs worked out of mine.
That Mortimer sounds great, I've never owned one but understand them to be excellent target and long-range rifles. I'll bet you could set a deer on its a$$ with that thing.:biggrin: I'm not a big fan of Pedersoli's percussion locks, but I like their flintlocks just fine.

What Lancaster kit are you ordering? I have a TVM late Lancaster with a large Siler lock and I love it.

Thanks all for the reponses...

Spot

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
What Lancaster kit are you ordering? I have a TVM late Lancaster with a large Siler lock and I love it.

Thanks all for the reponses...

Spot
I can't believe you just typed that...I'm ordering MY kit from TVM! Great minds think alike...

A good friend of mine built his Lancaster from a TVM kit, and I've lusted after it ever since!

I'm gonna try a little something different, an early style "poor man's" Lancaster with Virginia influences. I'm thinking a large Queen Anne style lock (I just like the way they look) and all browned iron furniture, sliding wooden patch box. I have no particular original rifle in mind, just a mix of different things I've seen and like. I gotta call them today or tommorrow to get the "kit" put together. I need to hurry up a little with this project, my mentor and friend who inspired this whole deal is having a relapse of cancer, and helping me finish this project is on his "bucket list."

I'm just East of Springdale out by the lake-- not too far from you! I was at Berryville, too--we were dressed up in 1850's stuff, shooting my Mortimer and Larry's Lancaster. Where were you??

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just show up and wander around, usually. I don't shoot competitively, but I like to watch and visit. I always load up on powder at the Berryville doin's.

I live way out in the middle of nowhere, near Kingston, but I work in Springdale.

That Lancaster sounds great, I hope your friend is able to help you see it through to the finish. There is a lot that be done about cancer these days, my father lasted ten years and whooped it four times.

My Lancaster is a late model with brass. I drew out a little fleur-de-lis pattern for a patchbox finial and the folks at TVM cut it out and inlaid it for me.

I think the Queen Anne lock will be nice in an early rifle like you're describing. I have a Jackie Brown Carolina Smoothbore, which is a Virginia style, it's iron mounted with a domed lid patchbox. It has a Chambers Colonial lock, which is a roundfaced lock very similar to the Queen Anne. I REALLY like the lock.

I hope you'll keep us posted on your progress with the gun, pics and all that...:biggrin:

Spot

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
I hope you'll keep us posted on your progress with the gun, pics and all that...:biggrin:

Spot
I'll try! The hardest part will be keeping the missus from seeing the credit card statement for a while....:biggrin:

Since I was a kid I've wanted a "pre-revolution flavored Pennsylvania rifle." That's too vague a description to mean very much, but I keep re-defining what it means TO ME as I see more and learn more. I just love me some rock-lock coal burnin' smokepoles!

Last September, my friend Larry and I went to just look around at Berryville. we bought a lot of powder, some shooting nick-nacks, and had fun. This spring we went back to shoot and had a blast. The people there are fantastic, they were really helpful to us first-timers, so we're going back!

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
.50 Hawken with iron sites

It isn't a flintlock but I do pour my own bullets and use blackpowder. I use to pour round balls and use 80 gr of FFg but several years ago I switched to a 320 gr REAL bullet mold and with 80 gr of FFg nothing has got away unles I flat out missed.

I aslo have a .32 hawkens that i use for squierrel and rabbit. 10 gr of FFFg and a round ball the size of a green pea will take them cleanly.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It isn't a flintlock but I do pour my own bullets and use blackpowder. I use to pour round balls and use 80 gr of FFg but several years ago I switched to a 320 gr REAL bullet mold and with 80 gr of FFg nothing has got away unles I flat out missed.

I aslo have a .32 hawkens that i use for squierrel and rabbit. 10 gr of FFFg and a round ball the size of a green pea will take them cleanly.
Wow, a 320 grain REAL bullet is a chunk of lead! I'll just bet they DON'T go far after that.:biggrin:

I used to have a .32, Pedersoli Frontier was the model. Messed around and traded it off but have regretted it ever since.

I picked up a .40 "drop-in" barrel for a Renegade, and I'm going to try that this year. .40 in a barrel that is 1" across the flats makes for one heavy gun though...I took an old beat up Renegade stock, and I'm going to refinish it and add some brass tacks - hey, if it's gonna be that heavy it might as well be ugly too.:doh:

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
10 gr powder measure

I like the idea of 10 grains of powder in a .32 for squarrels. Sounds like fun! :biggrin:

I use an empy .38 special case to measure my squierrel load. Top off the .38 case and you are good to go.

With this load I can hit game at about 25 yards, much further than that and I don't think my eyes would let me.

With the old .50 round ball I had a 50/50 chance at hitting a 8" bull at 100 yards. With the 320 gr REAL bullet I can hit it just about every time. With the REAL bullet I can take a longer shot and feel confident but 100 yards is my personal max range.

The furtherest I have shot and recovered a deer with my Hawkens with a round ball is about 70 yards. If I can get closer I will. I'm looking at an 8 point I had mounted that I shot with my Hawkens. It was a pretty long shot. (7 yards) I bet the taxidermist had a tough time cleaning up the powder burns and spark holes in his hide. :fit:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have one of those in .54, mine is 1:48. I always had to be very careful with mine to be sure it would shoot. It was fine as long as I made absolutely sure that flash channel was clear. 80 grains of 3f powder under a .530 roundball in a .015 patch out of that gun will put the whoops to a deer though...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Flintlocks

Been shooting Flintlocks for many years, get quite a responce when I go out with one.
Been out of touch for some months, Wife had brain surgery long recovery, took a few days to go north and roam/fish Canada, missed this fine group of people. Give me a holler and we can talk.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.