How many of you would open an account?

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by cables, Dec 14, 2010.

1. cables

cables Well-Known Member

I was reading the open carry thread and it made me want to ask yall this question. My wife works at a bank and I have made this statement many, many times and think it is a great idea.

If I ever have enough money to open a bank, I would make it manditory for th eemployees to go to a firearm training class and get a permit to carry and tell them to carry while at work in the bank. I as the owner I would pay for the permits and starter weapon. And then make it known that the employees carry are are trained to do so. I thinking is that would be the safest place for anyones money. It would take a really dumb robber to try to rob a bank knowing that 30+ loaded guns are waiting inside ready to be pointed and fired in their direction.

I think it is a good idea, what do you think?

2. Why not just make it drive thru only banking??

3. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

If it were legal I would do it, but I wouldn't tell anyone. Nothing like seeing the surprise on a thugs face looking down the end of 30 barrels. :eek:

4. jas870

jas870 Super Member<br>2012-13 Bowhunting Contest Winner

I am in banking now and have always thought it would be awesome if i could carry while at work, but I think the Feds are involved so much with banking that you would never be able to carry inside of a bank building. Things are regulated to the point of the fed tells us how many hours we can be closed. Anyhting over that hour limit results in a hefty fine. The only way you will ever be able to carry inside a bank building is if you're in law enforcement. You better believe there is one in my truck though!

5. BDW

BDW Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey

Sounds like a great idea to me.

6. RAZOR_DEER

RAZOR_DEER Well-Known Member

Where does it say you cannot carry inside of a bank?

7. Hill Farm Hunter

Hill Farm Hunter Well-Known Member

I'd say good luck finding bank employees willing to die, or kill, for other peoples money. Very rare for a bank to get robbed. When one does, they don't get much money, and what they do get is insured. Train your people to be a good witness.

8. Cjdavis618

Cjdavis618 Well-Known Member

No offense Hill Farm Hunter,

But the point was to prevent it in the first place. I agree with cables. Like the "Gun Free School Zones" these are easy targets and if they get something when they leave, then they won. Whether or not they are then being hunted.

I would rather think proactively than reactively. I can't say I have ever heard of a Gun store being robbed at gun point? Nor a Gun show.

I would put my money there for sure. And why does a bank have to be regulated by the Feds. Can't a private company operate a bank without federal mandate? Why is it that most important facets of our lives are now "Mandated" by federal goverment designs? Is it really working that well? Is it unthinkable that a bank could exist on its own without the FDIC or other entity if they are to operate honestly? Similar to a Credit union maybe?

9. Hill Farm Hunter

Hill Farm Hunter Well-Known Member

No offense taken CJ, my opinion is not worth any more than the next guys. I just hope I'm not in line behind the robber when the lady behind the counter opens up on him.:biggrin:

10. n2deer

n2deer Well-Known Member

Good point

11. BeanCounter

BeanCounter Well-Known Member

There are gun free zones at schools and post offices. Both are considered a crime to be gun free. Carrying a gun into a PO will get you a mandatory sentence.

There is also the lessor of two evils. If I take my kid to school and I witness an armed assislant on school property, I have two options. I can do nothing or I can interact with the gunman. If I stop the situation, I have broken the law by having a firearm on the school property. I am subject to losing my CCP. I will accept that if I save a life while doing that deed. There are not many judges who will throw the book at you for stopping a Joneboro type event.

Just remember, if you shoot make certain that only one version of the story comes from you. Anything work shooting once is worth shooting twice.

Gun in banks are a bad idea. Just give them the money and let them go. There are usually multiple cameras around banks. Not many get away very far.

12. RAZOR_DEER

RAZOR_DEER Well-Known Member

School building are prohibited as I undertand it (written opinion by Mike Bebee when he was AG). The parking lot and inside your private vehicle are not. The post office is a government building and is automatically a no-carry location but I cant find anywhere that states that banks are as well. I read the gun free zone legislation and it does not state it anywhere that I can find. If you find it please post it!

Edit: Arkansas is Opt state so each establishment/private entity can post signage as designated and their property/business is considered off limits.

13. Matthew.loftis

Matthew.loftis Well-Known Member

I agree w/ Hill Farm Hunter

I have a CC and have had one for a few years now. I carry everywhere except into my work and where prohibited.

As far as the banking thing, my wife works in a bank. She has a CC. I wouldn't want her carrying at work. Bank robbers don't usually kill. They just want the money. However, you can bet if a piece gets pulled, there will be shots fired... in a closed little lobby... full of people.

I'd rather my wife give him the money and live to bear me some children. Besides, what if all goes well for her and she does kill that dude? What would her mental state be then?

FDIC

14. Cjdavis618

Cjdavis618 Well-Known Member

But see that is the point,

Would a robber go into a bank that was known to be armed, or would they pass it up for easier targets? For money sure, give it up, but the point is that it never stops at money in some crimes. I just believe that an armed bank would be a safer place. A criminal isn't going to take that risk there, they will find greener pastures.

I also believe that schools would be safer if trained teachers, etc were allowed to carry. However, I would expect the school to allow the teachers that rise to the occasion, time off to learn defensive training in order to protect my kids. I would be willing to pay for that training as well. But I do not mean a small CCL class or a local enforcement training class. I mean a real place like Gunsite or Thunder Ranch that specializes in these classes. (Of course, I would have to go as well. :thumb:)

I think that in the Schools situation, there is a target placed on them because no one is armed save for the 1-2 resource officers, if they are carrying. (Which usually aren't). And sadly it makes for news. :frown:

15. coonnutz

coonnutz Well-Known Member

My wife has her CC but they won't let her even take it into the bank that she works at:head:

16. cables

cables Well-Known Member

The preventative issue was my intention, plus teh Teller at eh window would never need to pull hers because the 10 people behind the robber would pull theirs.
    And robberies do happen, there was one in Joneboro last month and last year the cops were called several times for a guy acting suspiecious at my wife bank.

17. Fred Carnes

Fred Carnes Well-Known Member

C and S gun and pawn shop in Springdale was robbed yesterday. When the owner Clint saw his wife being robbed he started shooting at the robber. The fled in a bullet riddled car with no money or anything. Way to go Clint!!!! The robber must have been from out of town, because all of us locals know not to mess with C&S Pawn.

18. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I am sure it would work. Archie Bunker, on All In The Family, years ago said to stop airplane hijackings, just issue each passenger a handgun when they got on board.

19. By Razor Deer,

"----- I cant find anywhere that states that banks are as well. I read the gun free zone legislation and it does not state it anywhere that I can find. If you find it please post it!"

I can't find it either.

20. coonnutz

coonnutz Well-Known Member

Apparently you don't watch the news very often? There's a bank robbery almost every week, and alot of the robberys never make it on the news:shrug: