Arkansas Hunting banner

What did you kill (jake or longbeard,)???

• Jake (less than 6 in beard)

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Longbeard

Votes: 53 81.5%
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attached is a poll...I'm tring to figure out what percentage of the harvest were jakes. Please vote for as many turkeys you killed in AR. Jake or longbeard.

Thanks

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Help

Moderators.... If there is a way to allow someone to vote for the same answer twice please allow this. If not maybe add another poll option of 2 longbeards. I didn't realize ya couldn't vote twice.:smack:

·
Registered
970 Posts
I've only killed one jake in 19 years of hunting turkeys. I will not under any circumstance shoot a jake. Alot of people complaining about not hearing any gobbling, but then they shoot jakes. Jakes are next years gobbling turkeys. I realize some people will shoot one because they havn't killed a turkey before, but for people who have hunted for years and killed numerous longbeards will kill a jake just to fill a tag. I dont get it.

·
Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,047 Posts
Well as I stated I DID kill a Jake this year and I damn sure aint bothered by that fact either, the wife and I did pass on one opening morning but the last day we were able to hunt I took one because it was LEGAL and I wanted some fried turkey- over the years I have let a helluvalot more Jakes go than I have harvested and in the area above Mt Ida this year any legal turkey was a huge bonus! Harvesting too many Jakes aint whats wrong with Arkansas Turkeys I can tell you that, look at poaching predators and folks taking advantage of the youth hunts has allot more to do with the turkey problem than the Jake harvest does. Theres allot of folks that will shoot a lil basket rack 8 point and this I dont really agree with but I will be the first to congradulate them on it! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if it excites them to take it more power to em! I sure aint gonna redicule over it as long as it was legal!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Yep if given the chance I'll take a jake too and have in the past. Any jake called in fair and square is fair game. Them jakes will gobble too. In the fall when hens are legal I take them too. I figure if it's legal in the reg books then it's okay for me to eat them ! I'm not gonna ridicule those that think different though, to each his own. I figure if God sends it to me legal I shouldn't be picky and take what I am given. Maybe next time he'll send the biggun' by me.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Im not blaming anyone for killing jakes. I'm just simply stating that if you want gobbling turkeys, then dont kill jakes. YOU can kill all the jakes YOU want on YOUR place. I can tell you this, we dont kill any jakes on our little ole 3,000 acres we hunt and out of 4 of us there were 6 birds killed and still plenty of gobbling to hear at the end of season. Go figure.:head:

·
Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey
13,107 Posts
I've killed jakes in the past and I've also passed on them, too. As tough as it was this year though, I would have GLADLY smacked one in the beak. To each his own. Sometimes the cravin' for popcorn turkey breast is just too overwhelming......CAN I GET AN AMEN?

·
Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,047 Posts
We havent killed a jake on our lease in 10 years, we havent harvested a gobbler in the previous 2 years but this year we had 3 gobblers taken off of 4000 acres, our problem is POACHERS and Predators but the WO did catch another feller from Louisianna poaching on us:censored: and one of our local members caught another feller from Louisianna and ran him off- I am getting tired of these dang poachers coming in on us and the judges not doing much too em! I think its about time for us members to start giving these poachers alil Southern Arkansas Hospitality, years ago we caught a feller poaching on us and the 3rd time and his truck got mysteriously riddle with bullet holes- funny we never did figure out who shot up his truck!:cool: We have done allot to improve our birds down there in Union county and I purposely stayed away and let em grow sure will rile one up to know you do that and a dang worthless poacher tries to slip in on your lease. I think the next one we catch we will bury him with his head sticking up out of the ground in the bottoms cover his head in corn ,sorgum molasses and let the hogs take care of em and the moccasins! Maybe then they will get the message to stay the hell out!

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Bojack, jakes gobble too. One of the best hunts I was a part of this year involved 5 jakes in Missouri. Two of them had full gobbles, with one being a dominant heavy gobble you would assume belonged to a big gobbler. I don't go to the woods with the intention of killing a jake, but if the opportunity presents itself I'll kill one. It's all about the experience not someone elses opinion.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I agree its everyones personal preferance. I wasn't trying to attack anyone for shooting jakes. I'm just stating that the more jakes that are shot the less gobbling longbeards you'll have next season. Something else that bothers me is people killing more than their two birds. I can honestly say i've been turkey hunting for 19 years and I've never killed over my limit and never killed birds before or after season. I dont eat enough turkey to justify killing one just for the meat. To me theres nothing in nature more beautiful than watching a big longbeard strut into range. Im not going to look down on anyone for shooting a jake, i'll congratulate them as well, just like Bubba said. But like I stated earlier, we dont shoot jakes on our lease and we have plenty of gobbling turkeys every year. I took my brother in law to my lease the last monday of season, we heard 3 different birds while standing in one spot. That sure keeps me fired up for next year. I realize poachers a problem and need to be delt with, but in my opinion coons, opposums, hogs, bobcats, and timber cutting hurt turkeys more than anything. Turkeys can recuperate from bad hatches.

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
Hey Buba,
Naked face down in a fire ant bed works too. I don't want to jack the thread but maybe its time we do something the judges and the AGFC can't do.

Just to stay on topic...if I had seen a jake...we'd be eatting AR bird instead of Kansas bird. That is unless I shot like I did in Kansas. :doh:

·
Super Member<br>2010 Bowhunting Contest Winner
4,230 Posts
I've only killed one jake in 19 years of hunting turkeys. I will not under any circumstance shoot a jake. Alot of people complaining about not hearing any gobbling, but then they shoot jakes. Jakes are next years gobbling turkeys. I realize some people will shoot one because they havn't killed a turkey before, but for people who have hunted for years and killed numerous longbeards will kill a jake just to fill a tag. I dont get it.

Not a very strong argument, because from what i have found....the jakes gobble twice as much as the longbeards! thats all i heard most of the year was the jakes, longbeards didn't say a word...if there complaining about not having TOMS then yes, shooting a jake doesn't contribute...but as far as a gobbling bird goes....jakes gobble just as much if not more.....19 years of hunting you would think ya woulda realized this!

·
Registered
970 Posts
Not a very strong argument, because from what i have found....the jakes gobble twice as much as the longbeards! thats all i heard most of the year was the jakes, longbeards didn't say a word...if there complaining about not having TOMS then yes, shooting a jake doesn't contribute...but as far as a gobbling bird goes....jakes gobble just as much if not more.....19 years of hunting you would think ya woulda realized this!
I've heard jakes gobble, but not like the longbeards. Thats something I've realized in 19 years of hunting them. I dont know where you hunt or even do I care, but your crazy if you think jakes gobble twice as much as the mature turkeys. Maybe you need to stick to shootin ducks.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
I thought any bird shot this year wouldn't gobble next year! Doesn't matter if it's a jake or a longbeard!:biggrin: I don't understand that argument. As to our knowledge the only bird shot on our place in the last ten years was one jake! We still haven't heard much gobbling. By the way, the place is in Sharp Co.!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
This is an issue that'll have two sides as long as there are turkey hunters. Just like whether or not to shoot does. I think each individual needs to decide for himself what he wants to do. To me a jake taste just as good as a Tom. And yesiree they do gobble.....A jake called in fair and square is fair game and going home with me to the frying pan :biggrin: One of these days I might change my ways but for now I'll shoot 'em if given the chance......Oh I got a jake last fall but didn't get one this season.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Im not blaming anyone for killing jakes. I'm just simply stating that if you want gobbling turkeys, then dont kill jakes. YOU can kill all the jakes YOU want on YOUR place. I can tell you this, we dont kill any jakes on our little ole 3,000 acres we hunt and out of 4 of us there were 6 birds killed and still plenty of gobbling to hear at the end of season. Go figure.:head:
what would have been the difference if you guys had killed 6 jakes and let those longbeards go? The only difference I see is the fans and the beards. :head:

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.