How many have been ice fishing?

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by dash4cash, Jan 2, 2011.

1. dash4cash

dash4cash Well-Known Member

Ha guys, heading out to do some ice fishing this week. How many on here have had the chance to get out on the ice and pull fish through the hole? We will be heading to Sturgeon Bay for some huge Northern Pike, Brown Trout and some Whitefish. If you love to fish and have never ice fished, I would say get out and give it a try. Just something about brats and burgers on the grill, couple beers, and chasing each other to be the first one at the tip-up when it goes off.:thumb:

Carl

2. woodsnwater

woodsnwater Well-Known Member

Never been, but wanted to. I seen fishing houses that was nicer than my own home. They went all out. Seen some pics back.

3. arcountryboy

arcountryboy Well-Known Member

Did it while on a late business trip to MI once, it was pretty neat, we pole fished and also used the auto fishers. I like fishing MI in the spring and summer though, big salmon!

4. HANDGUNNER

HANDGUNNER Well-Known Member

Did it on the NakNek River on the Alaska Penninsula in 76 when I was stationed at King Salmon AFS. It was a lot of fun....

5. flydown

flydown Well-Known Member

Beebe
    When I was in North Dakota back in 07, I tried to get someone to take me ice fishing but was unable to find anyone. I did get a chance to get out on the ice and observe and visit with some guys who were ice fishing.

6. :clap: Don't forget the perch Carl! we were up by dyckesville outta lipsky's perch were feedin heavy and nice ones ! GOIN OUT ON WED IF U WANNA GO ?

7. dash4cash

Talked to Keith yesterday, he said the wind had opened the bay back up.:banghead: hoping to get up there this weekend.:up:

Carl

8. dirtdart

dirtdart Well-Known Member

Last trip was 2000. Sold my Clam & power ice auger. Use to fill up on Kokanee, Lakers and Rainbow every winter.

Eleven Mile Canyon and Skagway outside of Victor, Colorado were my favorite fishing holes. Never caught many Walleyes but the Northerns were fun to set out tip-ups for. Usually killed those things in the shallows.

Do you guys use "Cowbells" on jigging machines up there? I've made a few jigging machines out of windshield wiper motors that really got them going on slow days.

9. dash4cash

No cowbells or jigging machines. We use tip-ups most of the time, and as long as you use fresh and lively bait things are good:up: We have some huge Northerns in the Bay of Green Bay, I like to fish them through the ice with my bass equipment, I invented a way to use your open water tackle with a spring steel flag that goes off when a fish takes your bait, your reel is set on free spool so the fish can take all the line needed, it works great and is alot of fun to fight fish on open water tackle through the ice.:clap:

Carl

10. dirtdart

dirtdart Well-Known Member

I'll bet that is fun. I pretty much stuck to a Swedish Nipple tipped with a wax worm for jigging or an occasional small blue fox spoon tipped with a wax. Used waterdogs and leeches in the shallows for Northerns.

Do you guys get any Sauger or Saugeye under the ice up there?

11. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

I tried it here when I was in high school. I chopped a hole in the ice with a hatchet and fished with minnows. Something kept getting the minnows but I never caught a fish.

12. dash4cash

Walleye and Sauger are in most lakes here in Wisc. The bay of Green Bay has tons of Walleye over 10 pounds, and the Wisconsin river has some big Sauger.

Carl

dirtdart, I wasen't going to say anything, but I can't stop from laughing when I read it, anyway it's Swedish pimple, not NIPPLE.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011