Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got our in and it aint good- maybe looking for a member or 2, use to they would go up every 2 years or so now every year getting to a point it aint worth it! I dont hunt with folks that are wealthy we just everyday working folks and the lease payment is about to get the best of all of us- unless some members on our waiting list come thru we are looking at 875.00 bucks and that aint even utilities either! :smack:

· Registered
5,763 Posts
Plum creek continued thier yearly increase, not sure of the exact amount. So far everyone else has stayed the same. We had to raise our dues another $25 in Febuary meeting just to cover insurance and electricity. Probably will have to pass the hat again.

· Registered
568 Posts
A price increase every year now with Deltic. It will get to a point where your middle class/working hunter will just decide it's not worth it anymore to lease. Corporate greed, plain and simple!

· Super Moderator
7,071 Posts
We have been trained to manage for better quality deer. Some even send proof of the better quality to the timber company lease managers. They can produce photos of many 3.5+ age bucks. We give them harvest data every year to show new prospects that are willing to pay for your hard work. Working for better quality on anothers land. I am not sure we are doing ourself much of a favor. I am sure many clubs are near the time to harvest and get out. With the cost of gas and lease rates increasing every year not sure how much longer I will last. I can asure you I will fill all tags this next year.

· Premium Member<br>2006 Turkey Team Contest Winner<
7,279 Posts
We have been trained to manage for better quality deer. Some even send proof of the better quality to the timber company lease managers. They can produce photos of many 3.5+ age bucks. We give them harvest data every year to show new prospects that are willing to pay for your hard work. Working for better quality on anothers land. I am not sure we are doing ourself much of a favor. I am sure many clubs are near the time to harvest and get out. With the cost of gas and lease rates increasing every year not sure how much longer I will last. I can asure you I will fill all tags this next year.
Been there and done that many times. You better kill them. I will not do the timber companys QDM. Their biologist new as much about a deer and managing deer as I know about the mating of swamp rabbits. Not one but every lease I've done QDM are being hunted now by "big money people".

· Registered
5,763 Posts
Well I spent all night ging thru our options and it aint looking good at all- going to have to come up with close to a grand per member or drop some land:confused:
dropping land will be a decision that will haunt you. Several years ago our club dropped a 120 acre tract to save a few bucks. Some guys hunt it now and shoot everything that moves or breathes.

· Registered
9,620 Posts
Well I spent all night ging thru our options and it aint looking good at all- going to have to come up with close to a grand per member or drop some land:confused:
We are paying about $1800/yr/member..if ours went up this year, I haven't heard the Club secretary say, but if it did, we have not had/seen and increaswe in our dues/assessments...............we did get a 5 year lease this time, instead of a 3 year........so it could be, 1., we had enough in the bank to cover the increase, or 2., No increase, but got an extra 2 year leaswe...and the price is Locked until that time is up!!!

Note* Bubba, part of our $1800 goes to pay the salary for the Caretaker, who we furnish a place to live and all utilities, except LD telephone, and then approx $6000/yr, and then utilities for the main clubhouse/meat house/tractor dieisel and butane........the actual lease I think is around $32K/yr

· Registered
6,300 Posts
Got my Deltic letter this week. It's at $4.00 per acre. 90% of our members live within 4-5 minutes of the lease, so the increased rate will off-set the rising fuel prices and expense of driving further to hunt. I hunt Winona, but a 5 minute drive to the lease isn't as expensive as a 30 minute drive to Winona. Especially if you do it many times.

· Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
We are paying about $1800/yr/member..if ours went up this year, I haven't heard the Club secretary say, but if it did, we have not had/seen and increaswe in our dues/assessments...............we did get a 5 year lease this time, instead of a 3 year........so it could be, 1., we had enough in the bank to cover the increase, or 2., No increase, but got an extra 2 year leaswe...and the price is Locked until that time is up!!!

Note* Bubba, part of our $1800 goes to pay the salary for the Caretaker, who we furnish a place to live and all utilities, except LD telephone, and then approx $6000/yr, and then utilities for the main clubhouse/meat house/tractor dieisel and butane........the actual lease I think is around $32K/yr
I was thinking the league had went up to $2500 last year???

· Registered
243 Posts
I hunt in clark county near Hollywood our property was owned by Ip....then Timberstar bought it. A little over a year later, a company called John Hancock just bought it. Last year we payed 4.49 an acre....this year its 5.49. They are also saying they are going to start charging by the areas that are leased. This is my last year leasing there! I am about to start hunting 3200 acres owned by one individual closer to home with bigger and more deer, and twice as many turkeys. Many of these biologists are trying to show their worth to their big wig bosses, and telling them, .....well we have this and we have that on our lands, and we can charge this. Most of all and I know u guys can relate, we are hunting nothing but cut overs. Sure they will be able to lease these properties, but ultimately the turnover rate on these leases will make these companies work a little harder. It isn't gonna take someone long to realize the money for these properties/leases aren't worth it. Think about it.......a guy can purchase a hunt in Kansas, Illinois, or wherever and pay a little more, but have the chance to shoot the deer of a lifetime. Then when they are at home just go hunt public some. Just my opinion......many of the clubs my way are already dropping leases, acreage, and members are dropping like flys.

· Registered
663 Posts
Like I said many times before, you guys are in for price increases in the future, and PLUM CREEK leads the way---they might just be pricing themselves out of the deer leasing business-at least for the average guy. Ya know,--------- this could actually be their plan.:skeptical:

· Registered
11,766 Posts
:biggrin:
I hunt in clark county near Hollywood our property was owned by Ip....then Timberstar bought it. A little over a year later, a company called John Hancock just bought it. Last year we payed 4.49 an acre....this year its 5.49. They are also saying they are going to start charging by the areas that are leased. This is my last year leasing there! I am about to start hunting 3200 acres owned by one individual closer to home with bigger and more deer, and twice as many turkeys. Many of these biologists are trying to show their worth to their big wig bosses, and telling them, .....well we have this and we have that on our lands, and we can charge this. Most of all and I know u guys can relate, we are hunting nothing but cut overs. Sure they will be able to lease these properties, but ultimately the turnover rate on these leases will make these companies work a little harder. It isn't gonna take someone long to realize the money for these properties/leases aren't worth it. Think about it.......a guy can purchase a hunt in Kansas, Illinois, or wherever and pay a little more, but have the chance to shoot the deer of a lifetime. Then when they are at home just go hunt public some. Just my opinion......many of the clubs my way are already dropping leases, acreage, and members are dropping like flys.

If you get on 3200 acres closer to the spa city I would like to volunteer my tractor services,welding abilitys and other club skills in return to hunt with you!

· Registered
5,763 Posts
Although the leases are going up, you get what you can make out of it. I figure
I have a place I can ride my 4-wheeler, play with my game cameras, work on
deer stands and food plots 12 months a year. In addition to deer, squirrel,
turkey, predators and hog hunting as I please during open seasons without really
running into anyone else. At $600 a year, that only 50 dollars a month
to do all that. Just can't do all that on public land

I have noticed that those in our camp who complain about high lease prices,
are the ones with the $10,000 Rhino, $20,000 RV, and / or every high dollar gadget that they really don't need.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.