How Many Good Spots/Holes Do You Have?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by FroMan, Jan 5, 2011.

How Many Spots?

1. 0

18.1%
  2. 1-2

8.3%
  3. 3-4

16.7%
  4. 5-6

6.9%
  5. 7+

50.0%
  1. I was thinking, I have very few spots that have ever been real productive. Most of my hunting occurs at other people's places who are kind enough to let me tag along. I have very few places that I consider "mine"--whether public or private to duck hunt (which is unfortunate).

I was wondering how many public/private holes, yall have, that consistently produce ducks, that you consider "your own spot".

2. greenhead smackdown

greenhead smackdown Well-Known Member

that is a good question, that i can give no real answer for...b/c conditions change so much and so many factors play in the productive part
    1. water levels
    2. cold fronts
    3. time of year
    4. ducks in the state
    5. wind direction
    6. accessibility

those are just a few of the factors that can compeletly change a hole from one day to the next. There are some areas that i have over 150 holes marked, and i keep notes for each one of them, such what wind direction to hunt it in, and what part of the season it is better in. All of the notes you take over time will help you better pick out holes or certain areas that you need to focus on throughout the year.

And what do you mean by "considering it yours"?

3. Doug Fryer

Doug Fryer Well-Known Member

As many as star in sky........the world is my duck hole and my urinal.:clap:

4. J. Adams

J. Adams Well-Known Member

Doug knows...bet this...:clap:

5. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Well-Known Member

Dont need any of my own.

I just go to where the most shooting is on Dave Donaldson and set up within gun range of the guys doing the most shooting. Then I skybust the ducks they are working. It's big fun! :thumb:

6. J. Adams

J. Adams Well-Known Member

Guitarzan...are you by chance the guitar man?
    My cousins daddy in law helped write that song

7. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Well-Known Member

Naw, Im just a picker and grinner! Good song though. :up:

8. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

A consistent hole for me would be two good hunts in a row - pretty rare where I hunt. I have access to a lot of spots that might have ducks on any given day, depending upon wind, water, pressure, early or late season, ice, etc. Not one of them is likely to produce a good hunt more than two days in a row.

9. coonnutz

coonnutz Well-Known Member

I have like 2 go to spots, other than that it's whoever I can con into taking me:cool:

10. nturchi

nturchi Well-Known Member

Ok what are my odd's? Who do I ask for in vegas to find who will take this bet?

11. park duck

park duck Well-Known Member

this year no whata do ducks in La

12. timv

timv Well-Known Member

Who needs a good hole when you have 12 spinners!:thumb:

13. ace777

ace777 Well-Known Member

none this year!:banghead:

unless you want to shoot wood ducks, then about 10:fit::fit:

14. MollyWhop

MollyWhop Well-Known Member

Follow ducks... Not Shots... If you hear shots for a few days and try to chase them then you are dragging :censored:. You cannot hunt public land without moving around. Just isn't going to happen. Definately 7+ for me. My goal is to be the shots that you hear to go and chase. I figure 3 days in a public hole and then you have plenty of company nearby where no one kills anything. You have to be mobile.. Plain and simple.

15. madduck87

madduck87 Well-Known Member

:clap::clap::clap:

16. MM

MM Well-Known Member

I'm not the op, but let me chime in here. On public ground there is no such thing as "your hole", except among friends or someone kind enough to take you along on public ground.

The very last thing I would do to a person or group that trusted me enough to take me along on public ground is turn around and let that person or group find me hunting that hole.

Public is public, but do your own work & find your own holes. This day and age, about any hole you'll find will be somebodies....that is the nature of the beast.... but it don't have to be nor should it ever be your buddies.

17. birdman24

birdman24 Well-Known Member

ha, whatever you say dude! :thumb:

18. channum

channum Well-Known Member

i dont think i can count all the holes that i hunt depending on weather conditons and such. cant really call them mine because i only hunt on public land but i have hunted the same hole all season this year that i would call mine because ive been the only one hunting it so far and have hammered mallards, pintails and teals all year. This will definitely be my number one low water hole for a long time to come.:biggrin: