Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I killed my doe going on a full 24 hrs since being on the meat table , I really wanna eat the tenderloins and start to make Jerky, how long should I freeze the meat before its safe to eat ?? #FlyingArrows

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
A lot of times we eat fresh tenderloin without ever freezing it. Just slice it up and cook it the next meal. Jerky is easier to slice when it's half frozen.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
What he said. I hang mine to age for a week or two before butchering but we'll start eating one after a couple of days. It doesn't get frozen until it's packaged.

·
Premium Member
5,029 Posts
Yeah, you don't have to freeze it at all before eating it. I do recommend at least a day in salt water (brine) before cooking. It really pulls the blood and gamey taste out of it. I actually thaw my deer meat in a brine and leave whole muscles in brine until I cut them up into smaller pieces. Don't put small pieces (think steak or medallion size) in brine though, because they'll soak up to much salt. If you change the water daily it will give you a few extra days in the fridge because the salt inhibits bacteria.

·
Registered
Bow
7,740 Posts
As stated before, deer meat does not have to be frozen before eating. You can take cuts of meat straight from the carcass to the stove. We only freeze it to preserve the meat for future meals. As also stated, soaking the meat in water or brine in the refrigerator for 24-48 hours makes the meat taste much better. Just change the water out about every eight hours or so. Go ahead and enjoy the fruit of your success!!!

·
Premium Member
5,029 Posts
One of my favorite recipes;
1 bowl Tabasco sauce
4 skewers
1 grill

When cutting up a deer I throw a lot of small pieces in the Tabasco. Put them on the skewers and grill on the spot. I have a big table outside where I butcher my meat and my hands get cold so the hot grill and hot meat is good, especially in November and December.

·
Registered
13,293 Posts
I think what you might have heard about was freezing before you make jerky. Cooked venison can be consumed without freezing. I think I read somewhere that you should freeze meat for at least a month before making jerky to kill possible parasites.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From what I'm hearing the straps are good to eat and wait a few days before I use meat to make jerky?? I really wanna make jerky so what part of meat do I use? And should I let it soak in brine before ?

·
Premium Member
5,029 Posts
I think what you might have heard about was freezing before you make jerky. Cooked venison can be consumed without freezing. I think I read somewhere that you should freeze meat for at least a month before making jerky to kill possible parasites.
I had never heard that about the freezing before making jerky so I just now asked my Microbioloy professor, who has a doctorate in Microbioloy, if freezing would be a good idea before making jerky. She said no. The freezing won't kill a lot of the parasites like cysts that would already be inside the meat, but the thawing process will increase your chances of harmful bacteria growth. She actually said that fresh killed or even aged meat is safer than frozen then thawed meat.

Where is @ArkGirl she probably knows something about this

Reactions: Hobbshunter

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
I had never heard that about the freezing before making jerky so I just now asked my Microbioloy professor, who has a doctorate in Microbioloy, if freezing would be a good idea before making jerky. She said no. The freezing won't kill a lot of the parasites like cysts that would already be inside the meat, but the thawing process will increase your chances of harmful bacteria growth. She actually said that fresh killed or even aged meat is safer than frozen then thawed meat.

·
Premium Member
5,029 Posts
From what I'm hearing the straps are good to eat and wait a few days before I use meat to make jerky?? I really wanna make jerky so what part of meat do I use? And should I let it soak in brine before ?
Separate the muscles into individual pieces by sliding your finger and a sharp knife through the white connective tissue (called silver skin) between the muscles. Using a sharp fillet knife, shave ALL of the silver skin off the meat. I use the big muscles in the hams because there is way less trimming. If there is anything still white when you make the jerky you wont be able to chew it, so cut out anything that's white. Cut into long strips going with the grain. Maybe 1/4 inch thick at the thickest.
This is my jerky recipe:
2/3 cup soy sauce
2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon red pepper flake
2 teaspoon black pepper
1teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cumin

I let mine soak in salt water for 24-48 hours then slice into thin strips. Put marinade and meat in a gallon frezeer bag in the fridge for 6 hours. Not longer because it will get to salty. It's actually safe to eat after the marinade because the salt has killed any bacteria on it, then dehydrate. I use the top oven rack. Line the bottom rack with aluminum foil and set oven to the lowest setting until dry, about 5 hours. I do open the door a lot because I'm trying to dry the meat, not cook it. Used to have a food dehydrator that worked well but I lost it in a move somewhere.

·
Registered
13,293 Posts

Science!

Thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
5,029 Posts
Science!

Thanks for sharing!
You threw me for a loop when you said freeze before making jerky because when I read that I literally had a mouth full of jerky from a deer I shot Sunday. I had to get to the bottom of that quick. I stopped the whole class for the first 15 minutes asking questions about my jerky recipe.

Reactions: Tugman

·
Registered
493 Posts
Separate the muscles into individual pieces by sliding your finger and a sharp knife through the white connective tissue (called silver skin) between the muscles. Using a sharp fillet knife, shave ALL of the silver skin off the meat. I use the big muscles in the hams because there is way less trimming. If there is anything still white when you make the jerky you wont be able to chew it, so cut out anything that's white. Cut into long strips going with the grain. Maybe 1/4 inch thick at the thickest.
This is my jerky recipe:
2/3 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
2 teaspoon black pepper
1teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cumin

I let mine soak in salt water for 24-48 hours then slice into thin strips. Put marinade and meat in a gallon frezeer bag in the fridge for 6 hours. Not longer because it will get to salty. It's actually safe to eat after the marinade because the salt has killed any bacteria on it, then dehydrate. I use the top oven rack. Line the bottom rack with aluminum foil and set oven to the lowest setting until dry, about 5 hours. I do open the door a lot because I'm trying to dry the meat, not cook it. Used to have a food dehydrator that worked well but I lost it in a move somewhere.
When you used the dehydrator how long and hot did you have it?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is my jerky recipe:
2/3 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
2 teaspoon black pepper
1teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cumin

Thanks I needed that recipe and the way to do it big thumbs up

1 - 20 of 22 Posts