Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since ML season starts a week from Saturday I wanted to confirm my CVA Optima V2 LR was still accurate from last winter.

I was looking for a 1.3" high group for the 50 yard which would put the bullets at zero in the 125 yards range. I shoot 9 times without cleaning. There was no blow by powder in and around the breech plug.

1st group (1st photo) of five had me chasing a bit. Oh well! Initially the wind was about 10 mph from my left so I adjusted and later the wind slowed.

here the results of the last four shots.

This ML will get the job done.

20201006_231301.jpg
20201006_231654.jpg

·
Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner
582 Posts
Since ML season starts a week from Saturday I wanted to confirm my CVA Optima V2 LR was still accurate from last winter.

I was looking for a 1.3" high group for the 50 yard which would put the bullets at zero in the 125 yards range. I shoot 9 times without cleaning. There was no blow by powder in and around the breech plug.

1st group (1st photo) of five had me chasing a bit. Oh well! Initially the wind was about 10 mph from my left so I adjusted and later the wind slowed.

here the results of the last four shots.

This ML will get the job done.

View attachment 281938 View attachment 281942
Are you doing 90g by volume? Or weight? I was wondering how many grains you could get above the stated max without any real issues above the 120BV/84BW they say is max. Kinda the same idea of being able to load above a max load when reloading.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine is sighted dead on at 50 yards. Where we hunt 50 yards is a long shot.

240 grain Hornady 44 cal XTP in a Harvester Crush Rib Sabot.
We have a nice place in the hills which has lots open pasture and woods. I took a nice buck a few years back at 370 yds with 270 rifle but most deer are taken less than 50 yds. I like the options. Longest with ML by my son at 145 yds.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you doing 90g by volume? Or weight? I was wondering how many grains you could get above the stated max without any real issues above the 120BV/84BW they say is max. Kinda the same idea of being able to load above a max load when reloading.
90gr by volume. I shot up to 110gr but there was too much recoil so I went with the best results as shown.
Interesting I reviewed my improved results from 2017 to these posted. I switched from pellets to 209 BH when I bought the CVA Optima V2.
This was typical from before.
Big change in results.
20171126_115353.jpg

·
Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner
582 Posts
I just bought a CVA Accura V2 LR. Maybe I can get away with using the 90-100 grain load since it’s got the 30” barrel. The older I get, the less I enjoy recoil. Gonna be shooting the Barnes 250g TMZ bullets.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah! That's a good way to get her done.

The 2017 results I displayed above were shot with the Optima Pro 30" using 100 gr pellets and 44 cal XTP bullets. I got better results with it using 209 BH but not as good as the V2 version. The big difference is the drop amount in the stock. Being more severe in the Pro it seems to cause the barrel to kick up too much resulting vertical variations.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I shot up to 20 shots with cleaning only the flash hole. It's amazing compared to others.
Next week I plan to check by shooting 100 yards for kicks. I have done it with my crossbow so at least it will be a challenge to see if I can beat that. I doubt it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes by far less. When I shot with it I didn't get a blocked view of the target or deer.

·
Grand Member
12,285 Posts
0000.jpg

Shot my T/C Pro Hunter with a .50 caliber Bergara barrel. Used T/C XTP 300gr Hollow Point .45 caliber bullets and Blackhorn 209 powder. The green dots was the group with 100grs of powder, the tight group was with 120grs of powder. Shot another target with 110 and it was right in-between.

00.jpg

Bottom target was at 200yds with 120grs powder. 4 1/2" group, 4 1/2" low.

000.jpg

·
Grand Member
12,285 Posts
I shot for several hours Wednesday & Thursday working on loads for my T/C. Some of what I tried before settling in on the 300 gr XTPs.

00000.jpg

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
View attachment 282116
Shot my T/C Pro Hunter with a .50 caliber Bergara barrel. Used T/C XTP 300gr Hollow Point .45 caliber bullets and Blackhorn 209 powder. The green dots was the group with 100grs of powder, the tight group was with 120grs of powder. Shot another target with 110 and it was right in-between.

View attachment 282118
Bottom target was at 200yds with 120grs powder. 4 1/2" group, 4 1/2" low.

View attachment 282120
Good shooting! Thanks for sharing those results. My Optima V2 has shot everything I put in pretty good but I like the 250gr SST the best because it loads so easy.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I can’t speak to Blackhorn because it’s an entirely different animal, but with real black, 777, and Pyrodex you’d really have to try to blow up a gun by over loading. They burn too slowly to develop very high pressure before they start pushing the bullet out. Too heavy a load will end up being a lot of smoke and a big fireball muzzle blast with little to no velocity increase. The extra powder will still be burning when it leaves the barrel.
It probably won’t do you a lot of good to go over max loads anyway, most muzzleloaders will shoot more accurately with a little less than a max load.

·
Grand Member
12,285 Posts
You are lucky to have found that particular bullet works well because it is one of the lowest cost on the market
Yes, they were the cheapest bullets I shot, $18 for a 30 pack of bullets and sabots. I bought several higher priced bullets, the Power Belt ELR (far left) and the 2 different Federal Premium bullets were the highest priced and shot the worst. Seemed like the heavier the bullet and the more powder (I stopped at 120grs) the better it shot. I was also using CCI 209M, magnum shotgun primers.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Anyone else shooting a traditional rifle this year. I'll be hunting with my .50 Hawkins, 80gr of Goex FFg & patched round ball. One day I'll get one of the fancy rifles but as long as I can see my sights I'll keep hunting with my Hawkins. Most of my shots are less than 50 yards and the longest I have taken and killed a deer is about 80 yards.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Since you mentioned it my eyes will not work with bare sights well so the scope does great at adapting my eyes. I can shoot with either good.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts