Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Wondered how everyone has their hunting rifle(s) grouping for this 2020 season. Share your results!

Recently prior to Arkansas Modern Gun season I checked my Ruger M77 270 Winchester to see how well it was shooting. Then I adjusted the crosshairs to desired zero at 100 yards.

My effort was from 100 yards using Winchester 270 cal in 130 gr SP. Each target square is 1/2 x 1/2". So I moved the windage 7 click to the left. I moved the elevation down 3 clicks for my preferred POI at 100 yards.

This is plenty good for me.馃幆馃徆

20201110_164733a.jpg

Premium Member
My set up is a Ruger American 6.5 Creedmoor Nikon Monarch custom. Zeroed at 200 3 shot group. Hornedy Precision Hunter 143 ELD-X.锟
200yd group? Good shooting I have rifles that will shoot that good but at 200 It鈥檚 tough for me to get a group that right. I can shoot under a inch, but I鈥檝e seen another guy shoot my rifle better than me.

Registered
Did you shoot it to verify those changes or just hope they are right?
That was my first thought on seeing this post.
No!
It has been my experience the scope adjustments are correct. 1/4" for each click at 100 yards.
It's been my experience/observation that those kind of assumptions tend to come back and bite you at the worst possible moment. Hopefully it won't happen to you.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
View attachment 288253
This is my 9 round group @75 yards with the 300 blk. The round is a 200 gr. Maker Rex bullet hand loaded at an avg. velocity of 1034 fps.
It's been my experience/observation that those kind of assumptions tend to come back and bite you at the worst possible moment. Hopefully it won't happen to you.
I have experience with it so I will accept it. You know there are shooters that dial their scopes to allow for the elevation change needed for the shot at hand. That comes with experience and confidence in what one is doing. Just saying!

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Whew. Making scope adjustments and not verifying. That鈥檚 a new one on me.
I have experience with it so I will accept it. You know there are shooters that dial their scopes to allow for the elevation change needed for the shot at hand. Just saying!

Registered
I have a Nikon Monarch Custom scope that is designed to do just that. I range it, dial it, pull trigger. This works out to 585 yards. To move back to zero all I have to do is pull up on dial turn to zero. I have yet have it not work.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
I have a Nikon Monarch Custom scope that is designed to do just that. I range it, dial it, pull trigger. This works out to 585 yards. To move back to zero all I have to do is pull up on dial turn to zero. I have yet have it not work.
Thanks for confirming my point.

Registered
Creedmoor is a tack driver. That was setting up for my custom turret. Using lead sled it's the only gun I have that groups like that. 6.5 Creedmoor is a confidence builder for sure.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts