Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know bows just keep getting better and better, faster and faster. I can't help but wonder how fast a bow really needs to be. My bow shoots just under 300 fps, with all of my goodies on it, and I can shoot deer looking at me without string jump, before they are hit. I have an old video put out by easton, and it shows arrows being shot in very slow motion, it is quite interesting to see the arrows looking like speghetti noodles coming off of the rest, even with proper tuning. I don't think I need a faster bow than I have. I shoot single pin and have very little drop from 20 to 30 yards, this is my max killing distance that I will try to take deer size game at. Any other thoughts on how fast is too fast. I am fairly knowledgeable on bows, but I would like to hear other opinions on the need for speed.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
While I am no expert on bows, actually fat from it. I have a Jennings
Buckmaster that shoots around 275. I have never had a deer jump the string but I have never shot at a deer on full alert. I actually think how quiet your
bow is has more to do with it than feet per second. I think I remember seeing
on another forum one time that your bow would have to shoot a lot faster
than 325 fps to avoid the deer jumping string. I can't remember the number but it was unreal.

Just my opinion

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
My bow shoots just under 300 fps, with all of my goodies on it, and I can shoot deer looking at me without string jump, before they are hit.
Wish I could make that statement, I think you've gotten extremely lucky that it hasn't happened. Like buckhorn said I think the noise or lack of is more important than speed but I like fast and quite and them bows do exist. But a person shouldn't shoot a bow that slings an arrow faster than he/she can control and shoot accurately.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
To fast to me is getting a bow fast enough that it starts to get loud. Bow technology is no where near creating a bow that is fast enough to beat sound. The speed of sound is about 1129 fps so a 300 fps arrow isn't going to reach a deer before the sound. So if you haven't had one jump the string on you its because your bow is super quite, or your lucky, or both. :up: Not because of the speed. To me the biggest benefit to speed is the ability to shoot one pin and it allows me to not have to be as precise on my yardages. For me 295 fps was to fast. My bow wasn't as quiet as I wanted so I went to a heavier arrow and got my speed down to around 280 fps and I think its quieter and shoots better.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'd rather be slow,,QUIET,,& ACCURATE any day than fast,,accurate,,& LOUD..Ya'll will likely laugh when I tell you what speed my Reflex bow shoots..Due to a shoulder injury I only shoot 49 lbs. at a scorching speed of 199 fps. with my string splitter & cat whiskers on string,,Vapor 300 carbons & a 100 gr. Muzzy 3 blade..But it don't make much more noise than an acorn falling & believe me,,that's a good thing..My avg. kill is usually 15 yds. or less anyway...Speed does help with flatter trajectory for sure,,but lots of practice,,keeping cool,,& setting up so one's shots will be short is the ticket,,at least to me..Like P.J. said,,sound travels way faster than any arrow ever has or likely ever will..Try this,,which me & another fella did..Have a partner shoot at 30 yards & stand behind a big tree,,building,,ectect even with the target ( where you can't see the shooter) & see if you can duck before the arrow hits at just the sound of the bow & whiz of the arrow..I could & I ain't near as quick or "jumpy" as an "alert" whitetail..

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I understand your worry, but I think your set up is pretty good. I would say the ideal setup for me would be a bow that shoots just under or over 300 fps, with very little noise or vibration. That way the deer will have to react to the sight of the arrow only and take out the sound as much as possible. You can make sure a deer isn't looking at you , but they will always hear.

How and the bending of an arrow during release is normal but for more kinetic energy to make to the target, it needs to be kept at a minimum. Thats were matching your arrow to your bow draw weight comes in at.

·
Super Moderator
9,786 Posts
My bow chronoed at 258 fps. So you have a fast bow.

As far as how fast is too fast...

It doesn't exist. There is no "too fast".

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I do shoot a matthews, and it is whisper quiet. I frequently shoot squirrels in the chest and head with it and have shot a few deer with a bow in my 38 years. With this bow, they usually twist their head around and look where the arrow hits the ground, then back in my direction and trot off with blood dripping down their sides. I'm no expert, but I do love this bow, I bought it in 2002, I believe. It is always better, of coarse to shoot at a deer that is not on alert. Don't think mine is luck, but I'm no expert either. Just wondering really if anybody has seen how arrows react in slow motion. Like I said, I have watched to video many times, the faster bows, when properly tuned, didn't have any noticable side to side, but did have verticle movement to them. It is really neat to watch. I suppose so long as you can paper tune the bow. Just wondering about other opinions.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm gonna ride the fence on this one but just like everyone else I have my opinions.
I think speed is great IF you can control it. If you have to pull more weight than you can handle to get the speed your accuracy will suffer. If your arrow is super light you will loose kinetic energy at longer distances. I would rather have a clean miss anyday compared to a bad hit and a lost deer.
I guess without getting into all the variables in my opinion your bow should be set up for YOU and your shooting ability....not at 315 fps just because thats the IBO advertised speed. Get the weight where you are comfortable holding for long periods (deer don't always go by the script you wrote for them), build an arrow that is heavy enough to carry the energy it needs to the MAX yardage that you plan to shoot and use all the vibration reducing gadgets you need to making your bow as quiet as possible.
Hunters were killing deer long before speed became so "important".

Don't gut me on this one....its just my opinion.
Bryan

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I got in the speed game years ago and my accuracy suffered for it so I decided to worry about noise, accuracy, and smoothness or hand shock as the new bowyers like to call it. There is no bow fast enough or quiet enough to beat a deer if they choose to jump the string. A mature buck can drop his entire body weight to the ground in 7/10ths of a second and that is faster than any arrow will get there and he can hear a tree rat fart at 100yrds I think or close to it anyway:fit: so the best thing I have found is aim just a little low so if he doesn't jump you'll get him right in the heart and if he does---hopefully you will get a high lung and try not to shoot at a jumpy deer it sometimes doesn't turn out well. that's JMO:up:

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I hope this is not pure BS, but a bow technician told me once that broadhead companies test their products between 240 and 260 fps for the most stable flight patterns. I chronoed at 248 with 125gr fixed blades and he told me not to try for anymore speed. He could have tried to sell me alot of other stuff to raise the speed but didn't.:interesting:

·
Select Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest W
4,207 Posts
You know, I once hada bow engineer back in the mid- 80's tell me that there was no problem building abow that shoots over 400 fps. They could accomplish that today. The problem is getting that bow to stay together. The technology in the materials wasn't there. But now, as new materials continue to be developed, and bow technology continues it's climb toward something from Star Wars, we may someday see bows shooting in the 400's, or higher. I mean, 80% letoff was just a joke until a little novelty bow company named Matthews started advertising a bow that could accomplish the 80% letoff myth.

I'm just like everybody else, I like speed, too. Speed makes judging distance easier, but the faster the bow gets, the louder it gets, and the less forgiving the bow gets.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
To fast to me is getting a bow fast enough that it starts to get loud. Bow technology is no where near creating a bow that is fast enough to beat sound. The speed of sound is about 1129 fps so a 300 fps arrow isn't going to reach a deer before the sound. So if you haven't had one jump the string on you its because your bow is super quite, or your lucky, or both. :up: Not because of the speed. To me the biggest benefit to speed is the ability to shoot one pin and it allows me to not have to be as precise on my yardages. For me 295 fps was to fast. My bow wasn't as quiet as I wanted so I went to a heavier arrow and got my speed down to around 280 fps and I think its quieter and shoots better.
I was going to respond, but Paul pretty much sums it up for me. There are no bows on the market fast enough to beat "string jump."

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I feel I must correct myself on my statement on the deer not reacting to the string. My friend owns and runs a bow shop. He has a bow and set up almost identical to mine and he showed me some video of his shooting at deer. My eyes can not see what slow motion video can. The faster bows give the deer less reaction time, but they did definitley move, at least ever so slightly, so even thoughy I did not video my hunts or all the deer I have shot with my matthews, I know that they will move slightly. I am old school, and started with a recurve and older compounds, so I am used to aiming a little low. Apologies to any I may have steered wrong, with my original post. I do appreciate all the posts and different takes on speed.

·
Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey
13,110 Posts
I think my Martin Saber shoots somewhere around 275 fps. I'm not really into speed as much as I am a bow that is forgiving and quiet. I let the poundage off on my bow to 50 lbs a couple of years ago due to shoulder problems. I think I was shooting around 250-260 fps. The bow was plenty fast enough to do the job.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I belive bout 400fps will be the limit. To a point it is no longer about the bow such as vibration, noise, and forgivness. At this speed and beyond is going to be more about the arrow. The faster that arrow has the travel the more perfect everything is going to have to be such as fletching, broadheads, alignment of inserts and nocks and shaft straightness. Also remember arrows when shot do alot of bending when released from the bow, so with increased speed an arrow might not be able to straighten out and fly straight with greater speeds.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.