Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I really don’t know for sure, but I do know that squirrels will completely abandon an area to find a new food source. It happens here in the hills all the time, I see tons of squirrels in early fall and then December hits and they magically seem to vanish.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I really don’t know for sure, but I do know that squirrels will completely abandon an area to find a new food source. It happens here in the hills all the time, I see tons of squirrels in early fall and then December hits and they magically seem to vanish.
This ^^ I’ve always wandered where they came from and where they went. I know the sow and young stay in a den but the great migration seems to leave the state. My guess is they might travel a hundred miles or more.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Grey’s seem to migrate a good distance, I think how far determines on food availability. Fox squirrels seem to hang around one area. I’m hoping the hard freeze we had didn’t kill too many off. I hardly saw any during summer.

·
Premium Member
Commish Weld
22,399 Posts
This podcast has a TON of good info on Squirrel biology and patterns. It is entertaining to listen to as well! ENJOY!!!

·
Registered
8,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have hunted areas where early fall they would be thick in one area, come late winter, they would abandon that area for a different area (different food source).

And I guess with timber cutting, they would move just far enough back to still find adequate food.

JB Weld, thank you for the pod cast link. Listening to it now.

·
Registered
11,275 Posts
They do migrate if their isn't enough food. I remember several years ago we had a late April hard freeze and it froze off the leaves and that years acorn crop. Squirrels were unusually scarce here and I read on this forum people 100 miles south of here were going out and killing a limit in 30 minutes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts