Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was am scouting new place today and got to thinking.

I normally like to let turkeys sound off on their own. What time do you all get to your listening spot? On property that I know normally try to be ready, where I am going to start morning an hour before sunrise. I have heard turkeys gobble on their own at this time. Not sure if they do it any earlier becuasd this is about earliest that I have been out listening.

How long before sunrise do you wait before you start trying to get them to gobble with a owl call or non turkey sound? If they are unresponsive to that when do you hen call?

Reason I am asking is that I got to my spot at 5:45 this morning. Waited until about 6:05 and hooted about every 5 mins until 6:30, I was bout to leave and go look some where else and he gobbled at 6:40. I just shut up and listened for 20 minutes then eased out.

·
Registered
737 Posts
45 mins before sunrise is when I get there and I don't ever call at the to get them to gobble. I'm a run and gun/overly patient person. I know the birds are there so I wait n let him do it on his own. The less sounds I gotta make is less opportunity for him to figure out I'm not a animal. That's just my thinkin

·
Premium Member
17,819 Posts
I like to be where I'm headed one hour before stated sunrise. If I hear no gobbles by fly down time, I might throw out a hen call or two. Only use the locator call if I need to pinpoint location.

Less is more at daybreak has been my experience.

·
Registered
15,069 Posts
Rare are the times that I have not heard gobbles at day break or within 30 minutes there of. But if I'm just listening it doesn't hurt my feelings to get there 15 minutes before the first rays start coming over the ridge. If I'm hunting, I'm guaranteed to be 15 minutes late :banghead:

Hey have any of y'all ever had a Turk gobbling an hour before sunlight in a full moon?

·
Premium Member
17,819 Posts
I listened to two in OK that gobbled for an hour after sunset. They were MAD at each other. Next morning they were gobbling when I stepped out of the truck. I managed to mess it all up and kill neither of them.

I've always wondered if they gobbled all night.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I had one gobbling super early one morning. Not sure what time, too excited to care, but it was dark enough for me to slip within about 60 yds of his roost. Day started breaking and I could finally see him on his limb. Called once, he flew down a few minutes after that, I cackled when he did and he walked right to me and died. That was my first year back into it and I thought surely it can't always be so easy. I was right.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Rare are the times that I have not heard gobbles at day break or within 30 minutes there of. But if I'm just listening it doesn't hurt my feelings to get there 15 minutes before the first rays start coming over the ridge. If I'm hunting, I'm guaranteed to be 15 minutes late :banghead:

Hey have any of y'all ever had a Turk gobbling an hour before sunlight in a full moon?
I've heard them gobble in the black dark! After I've slammed the truck door

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Me too.
Was on a permit hut few yrs back and had one gobble his head off first hour then he just quit. I waited an hour and walked his direction and he busted off a limb. Crap!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.