How do you propose Schools should be protected?

Discussion in 'News and Politics' started by Quack addict, Dec 23, 2012.

How would you protect your local school?

Poll closed Jan 6, 2013.
  1. Arm School Officials ( Superintendant - Priciple)

39.5%
  2. SRO ( School Resource Officer - Armedl)

39.5%
  3. Stricter Gun Control ( How?)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Enclose School Perimeter/ Closed Campus

5.3%
  5. Other

15.8%
  1. Quack addict

Quack addict Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Eudora,MS
    How do you think we should protect your local School??

This is a public poll.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  2. flydown

flydown Well-Known Member

Beebe
    I am not voting in this poll because I see more than one choice that I agree with and for me to only vote on one would skew my true feelings.

3. QuarterBore

QuarterBore Well-Known Member

As I posted in another thread:

Current CCW holders who are employed by the school should be allowed to carry concealed while working on campus. They should declare their wish to carry while working an complete at least an additional 8 hours of inservice per school year conducting firearms specific training. They should have an additional background check run on them as an additional safety measure. If schools have no teachers willing to volunteer, those schools must let the local Law Enforcment Agency know and they will be forced to provide an armed guard at that school.

It's cost-effective and prudent. And quite the deterrent to any would be miscreant who would have no idea where the armed person is in their intended target environment.

4. tmeredith

tmeredith Platinum Member Redneck Slum Lord

jonesboro
    I'd like to not only see the principal, superintendant. and teachers allowed to carry, but volunteer dads as well. At my kids school they have a program called watchdog dads where dads can volunteer to walk the halls and just be there in case. However, they wouldn't do much good against an armed thug since they aren't allowed to carry now. Of course they'd need to have their backgrounds checked very well and have some sort of training first, but I'd be all for arming those guys.

5. jhw

jhw Well-Known Member

I could only vote for one thing, but I would like to see the first two things both done.

6. Quack addict

Eudora,MS
    I agree.

7. Quack addict

Eudora,MS
    I understand, I thought about allowing multiple votes but, we wouldn't get a real clear opinion of what the majority would say. I too, would vote for the top 2 easily!

8. I voted other.. I wouldn't mind seeing armed SRO's, Admins or anyone that is professionally trained being able to carry on campus, and when I say trained I'm talking about LEO or military type training.. Not a fan of any/every CCW holder being allowed.. Seen to many CCW holders that I wouldn't trust with a sharp stick much less a gun.. We also seem to be focused on the school campus when it comes to school safety issues, what about the 25 buses loaded with kids coming to and from school everyday or basketball games with 500 folks in the gym or the 1000 folks sitting wide open in the bleachers at a football game??

9. QuarterBore

A lot of you folks place a lot of undeserved credence in your LEO's ability to shoot...

10. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

Another vote for "other" here. There's no doubt that the only thing stopping a gunman is another gunman. I don't see a logical argument against that. I also don't think there is one single solution, nor will one solution work with every school district or even each building. There are schools in the state where former police and military personnel are already employed as teachers, coaches and administrators. Those school could easily defend themselves with minimal training and expense. Many rural school have numerous teachers with CCL and lots of experience with weapons of all kinds. This doesn't, in my opinion, mean they are ready for a tactical situation. I know I'm not ready for that, but I could easily stand behind a door and shoot an attacker from 20ft away. That seems a lot better than hiding and praying that a gun would drop into my lap. I know that's not the best situation and believe if teachers were armed we should go through the same training as cops and carry on their person like cops do. Furthermore it should be WITH our local police.

There are also many schools that neither one of these situations would be feasible for a variety of reasons. In those cases the only viable option would be armed guards. Not something that I think is a good thing at all. Having armed guards sends a really bad message to our students and to the community. Where firearms and firearm training and safety aren't the norm, guards may be the only effective solution.

A completely enclosed campus is a double edge sword. In a case like the CT shooting it would only give the shooter/s a better "fish in a barrel" scenario. Only one way in and one way out would cause a bottle neck for anyone looking to escape. I don't see that as a good thing. Much like with the CT situation, shooters who plan will break that first line of defense and the situation will get the same result.

Like I said before, I don't think any solution is the right one for every school. I think it may different combinations. Rest assured though, our legislators will find a way to over complicate it, make it illogical and make it cost 3X what it should.

More gun laws is a bad joke made up by liberals with no logic.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  11. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

+1 Not naming names, but I know more than one that I can out shoot.

12. :up:

13. CDay

CDay Well-Known Member

This is what I agree with. I look at it this way if someone is going through the classes to obtain a CCW permit then by all means they should be able to carry anywhere they please. Currently what I am seeing and where you can legally carry anymore it ain't worth the hassle to obtain a CCW permit, because I pretty much can already carry with out the permit in those areas.

14. That is too true. My "vote" was for the first option. However more than the sup. and principal could be armed.

Tommy

15. By the time bureaucrats decide to write legislation the wackos will have struck many more times. No answer will be perfect but start with a trained, armed protector roaming the school and grounds in a stealthy, ready for trouble manner.

16. stealthycat

stealthycat Elite Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

we know what doesn't work - gun free schools and unarmed schools and state of the art security systems ... those do not work

17. miketyson26

miketyson26 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

guards...

As a parent of young school age kids I want them safe in school. But lets be honest. A lot of school teachers and principles fall into the category of people I don't want to see armed and dangerous...

I am a huge supporter of the NRA's idea of an armed security guard in schools. Heck even unarmed security is proven to reduce violent crime in most cases. And the Democrats know this. So an armed ex-serviceman (marines, army, etc.)-( guys who need a good job when they return home anyway?) who has recieved the right training and can pass a background check, manning a security desk? At a central entrance point to the school? Its an absolute no brainer.

I am sickened by the overall response of the Executive and Congressional branches of our government about security guards for schools. They are protected by armed security at work. And a lot of them also have that same security level at home. Heck the president has an entire federal agency who's primary mission is to provide him with 24/7/365 armed security? But our kids don't deserve the same? Get me some pepto!!! My stomach is turning...

Miketyson26 :flag:

18. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

Problem with that mike is that most schools don't have a central entrance. On my last school's campus there were 19 entrances that could be breached by 1 shot. Most were unlocked.

That was a 1A school.

19. QuarterBore

The teachers and administrators, by and large, give no real thought to physical security or proactive threat deterrent measures. You've go to take advantage of those in the profession that DO take these things seriously. Let their passion for the safety of the kids be the driving force behind an effective and proactive school safety shield.

20. And we have kids/teachers leaving buildings every period to walk half way across campus for recess, choir, band, athletics etc..