Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
15,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is also illegal to take or attempt to take wildlife, including turkey, fleeing from a flood.

With all the rain and high water how do you know whether or not a turkey is considered to be fleeing from a flood? :confused:

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Is this a regulation in the 2008 Turkey guidebook that Reggie can't seem to find?

As long as you're not hunting from a boat or "hunting with the use of traps, snares, nets, hooks, explosives, dogs, live decoys, or mechanical or electrical callers" you should be okay.

Reggie would heed John's comments and let the turkeys wearing life jackets walk on by.....

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
It is also illegal to take or attempt to take wildlife, including turkey, fleeing from a flood.

With all the rain and high water how do you know whether or not a turkey is considered to be fleeing from a flood? :confused:
I hope the intent of the law is to prevent outlaws, poachers, etc., from finding game on high ground surrounded by water and taking advantage of the situation to kill game animals. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
18,386 Posts

That is a great question. Wish I could answer it for you, but it seems to me that if wildlife is fleeing from a flood, maybe I ought to be getting my fat backside out of the area as well!

I just have this image of the deer, rabbits, turkeys, skunks, etc. all flying by me in a big hurry to get somewhere while I'm seated against a tree. Seems a smart fella would fall in step and get out of there with them.

·
Registered
8,488 Posts
I hope the intent of the law is to prevent outlaws, poachers, etc., from finding game on high ground surrounded by water and taking advantage of the situation to kill game animals. :thumb:
If that is the case, then the way the water is in the riverbottoms right now everyone who attempts to hunt under the conditions that exsist may have to be considered outlaws or poachers.:confused: This is the very reason some of us have been preaching to the G&F to make the flood zone restrictions used in others hunts apply to turkey hunting also, but that has fell upon deaf ears. There will be very little dry ground come next weekend for a turkey to put his foot when he flys down & there will be a boat parked every 100 yards up & down the ridges waiting on him if the season remains open as slated.

Between all of the sportsman:rolleyes: hunting the birds fair chase on what little dry ground there is, all of the predator's that have also been forced to the high ground catching what they can in the confined area's, & the high water itself effect, the turkey population is going to take a major hit this year that I only hope it can overcome!

Some may disagree with me, but to hunt an animal as fine as a turkey under the conditions that are present in the area right now is no differant than taking a spotlight & hunting a deer. It is in NO WAY fair chase!

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
A couple of weeks ago my buddy was out boat riding in the flooded river bottoms. He and his friend saw something swimming in the water that looked like two big geese that sat very low in the water. When they got closer it was two turkies. They were just swimming along with the closest dry ground being a quarter to half mile away. He said one climbed up on a log and shook off and flapped it's wings and it was a huge gobbler. Then the turkey slipped back into the water and swam on along his way. Has anyone ever heard of this before? I have seen turkies swim across a slough mabe 20 yards but never just swimming along through flooded timber.
Moved from another thread I would consider this fleeing from a flood or maybe just dealing with one.:wink:

·
Premium Member<br>2006 Turkey Team Contest Winner<
7,279 Posts
The bottom land turkeys around here will stay in the trees during a flood. We never have water in these bottom more than a week. I have seen it where these turkeys are gobblin good a week before season in the bottoms, then it flood, and the turkeys never leave the area for a week or more, they gobble in tree trees like they are on the ground. My dad told me that every spring bug in the woods will come up the trees and the turkeys will eat good.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,584 Posts
The bottom land turkeys around here will stay in the trees during a flood. We never have water in these bottom more than a week. I have seen it where these turkeys are gobblin good a week before season in the bottoms, then it flood, and the turkeys never leave the area for a week or more, they gobble in tree trees like they are on the ground. My dad told me that every spring bug in the woods will come up the trees and the turkeys will eat good.
:wink: There's a hundred things a turkey can eat:thumb:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.