Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of field; when {morning, afternoon or both}; how often do you hunt during the year ( first weekend, 5 or more times the first season, many times first and second season) do you use dove decoys ( NO, just decoys, decoys and spinners); do you think dove decoys and spinners are effective? Explain; What kind of gun do you shoot and the choke; how many people generally hunt with you? I thought this might be fun. I started cutting some sunflowers today I got to thinking.

·
Premium Member
29,735 Posts
I normally hunt my sunflowers but because of nearby flooding, the deer moved on to my high ground and ate them down. I will top sow wheat and hunt it this year. First weekend there will be anywhere from two to five people hunting my place. After the first weekend, I will hunt by myself another two or three times first season and hunt over my beans a couple times by myself late season. 12 ga benelli with improved cylinder. I use a spinner - without one, hunting by yourself on a five acre field can be frustrating. I have used decoys but I believe they totally disregard them.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I chase dove on public land. Evenings only. Around 10 times per year. I catch them getting pebbles in their craw right before roost, or ambush them where they are wanting to roost. Never more than 3 of us total. Usually just myself and my dad. Remington 870 12 guage with a tru-glow adjustable choke. I adjust it as I need to through out the hunt. 71/2 shot or 8 shot. iT is not as good as a private field with food but when i can set up where the birds are roosting it can be just about as fast as you can reload for the last half hour of daylight.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I usually hunt with a buddy on a private field. Usually 5 people in our group spread out a good ways, typically corn that has already been cut and disced under. We put out 2 spinners and it typically does the trick. I hunt with an old single shot 20 gauge not the best for quick shooting, but I've got pretty good at holding a shell in one hand when shooting. Popping the spent shell out and throwing the other in to get another shot in. We hunt mainly in the morning that crisp air that you can tell fall is on it's way is mesmerizing. It's usually still a little warm for me to be sitting in a long sleeve in the afternoons. I enjoy sitting out shooting the bull and it's the kick off to hunting season.

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
I have hunted mostly milo fields and disked reseeded pastures in the hills. I use my 12 Browning A-5 with 7.5s and usually first morning use improved cylinder. Then switch to modified in the afternoon. Sometimes I have hunted a week later if there are birds coming. I have never used a spinner but made some of my own silhouette decoys. I cant tell that they help at all. I can blow through my hands and make all the dove sounds. I do that frequently and they turn and fly over me. I miss most of them but I sometimes have a hot streak and mow them down.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since I started this. I hunt a sunflower field. Invite about 15 or so family and friends to hunt the 1st day. Have had BBQ and doves at noon at the farm headquarters after we hunt. Some years we have not had the lunch. The 1st day we hunt in the morning. I hunt mostly in the afternoon after the 1st day. Will usually hunt with 5 or less people after the opening weekend. Will sometimes hunt at the farm headquarters alone or with only one or two people. We also have rice and milo fields that we can hunt. I use either a 12 gauge Ruger o/v or a Browning 5 with 8 or 7 1/2 shot. IC and Modified Usually hunt 10 or more times during the 1st season. Have not hunted the late season. I use decoys and spinners and think they really work. Hope everyone has a great season having lots of doves, not being too hot, having fun with friends and family and making memories. Be safe.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I usually hunt with a group of friends over sewed wheat. Usually 5 or 6 of us. We will hunt a couple of mornings and a few evenings during the first couple weeks. I shoot 7.5's out of a Franchi Affinity 20 gauge with a light mod choke.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
I usually hunt sunflowers the first weekend with a big group. We hunt morning and evenin.
I try to find several fields so we can let one rest, which is very hard to do when there are a buncha birds and people!
I hunt with 7 1/2's in a 11-87 with a full choke, it wont come out. Flooring Floor Tan Hardwood Beige

We even have a championship belt for first one to kill their limit!

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.